Canelo's power is average at 154 he will have paulie malignaggi type power at 160, stay at 154

Cotto knocked around Martinez and Geale at MW and he couldn't really even make Canelo flinch. Against the likes of Golovkin or Jacobs getting hit clean too much is going to be a problem regardless of how good your chin is, but I think we've seen enough to conclude that it's at least not below average.
Yes, I don't think he has a bad chin, we need to see how he reacts to a big punching MW though. Cotto's a HOFer but he isn't a real MW.

Na, power is probably the #1 deciding factor in knocking someone out. You obviously have to land the right punch, but the right punch does not knock someone out without power.

Being very skilled will usually get you the win over a guy who relies on power, but timing and speed do not put guys to sleep, they do win rounds though.

Otherwise Mayweather, Ward, Malignaggi, and Khan would be knocking people out left and right.
Having power is a big factor but simply having power won't get you KOS. Canelo caught Khan and I would say it was the feint, timing, and punch placement that was the keys to that KO, not the power. The power did help since it was there but Mayweather would've even KOd Khan with that shot.

how is punching power defined? serious question. Is it a guy who gets a lot of KOs or a guy who puts people out cold? How do you distinguish power from accuracy? For example I don't think Conor is a powerful puncher, he just lands with good timing/accuracy. Prince Hamed on the other hand would throw off balance punches with poor accuracy and still wobble people or put them down.

Having power is a big factor but simply having power won't get you KOS. Canelo caught Khan and I would say it was the feint, timing, and punch placement that was the keys to that KO, not the power. The power did help since it was there but Mayweather would've even KOd Khan with that shot.

Also Khan's lack of chin

a grown man hitting another grown man it still hurts - malignaggi

Surprised there isnt a bigger, ongoing thread leading up to the Chavez fight. But a ton of photos today on IG from a press conference today.

Canelo looks small as shit compared to JCCjr. This will be a make him or break him fight. I think Jr is going to stop him big time.

Surprised there isnt a bigger, ongoing thread leading up to the Chavez fight. But a ton of photos today on IG from a press conference today.

Canelo looks small as shit compared to JCCjr. This will be a make him or break him fight. I think Jr is going to stop him big time.
Too early to be , people should be pumping up the DSG fight

Good power, better than average and puts his punches together.

Last edited:

Seriously? Canelo is going to use him like a heavy bag.

Seriously? Canelo is going to use him like a heavy bag.
I hope he does. I am with Nacho he has a huge responsibility to Mexican Boxing and he should not jump to this wieght both Danny and GGG could ruin him

Back