Canelo's power is average at 154 he will have paulie malignaggi type power at 160, stay at 154

I actually have never thought he was a huge puncher. He occasionally scores a big KO like against Kirkland but I don't think his strength is power.

I feel like at 147 he had a big punch. 154 still good (Kirkland KO had more to do with James guessing on his punches than anything though). At middleweight he'll still be respectable. The things that really set him apart I think are punch selection and a good IQ. He realizes when he has to change his approach, even if he sometimes lacks the tools to do it well*. And he tends to throw the right punches at the right time - and in combination.

*You know, thinking about the Broner/Granados thread, I'd say Broner won that fight about as wide as Canelo beat Lara. Which is to say, apparently, "clear".

Alvarez is an accurate, smart puncher with good - not great - power. I think the belief that he has great power comes from the placement of his shots: how he sets them up, how he hides them ones that have power on them amongst ones that don't. Remember the old cliche: it's the punch you don't see coming that hurts the most.

The best active boxer today that I've seen mix in lots of lighter punches with moderate to heavier ones is the guy in my AV. He'll tap and slap you with low to medium intensity punches at different tempos/speeds and then will crack you with something harder, all from different angles, on the lead and when countering. It confuses the hell out of his opponents along with all of his lateral movement, threatening to turn the corner on them, probes, feints and level changes.

The Chavez Jr. fight is interesting because he is such a big guy, and if properly trained, he can be a nuisance for a lot of people. He is there to be hit, but when he does show up - as opposed to most of his performances which have been rather curious ones these past fives years - he hides well behind his gloves and arms and keeps them pressure on you, mixing up his shots and not giving you much time to think. Canelo meanwhile, doesn't have amazing footwork (I know, people may not like the sound of that, but it's true), so he will have Junior in his face until Junior is stopped, or the final bell goes. At the same time, Canelo likes it when his opponents come to him. This is, of course, best case scenario for Chavez who has the capacity to be the proverbial turd in the punch bowl (something I think he probably doesn't mind being A LOT lol).

This, I believe is a reconaissance fight in the sense that it will give Alvarez a taste of a big pressure guy that can take a punch. If he can get past Chavez with few problems, he'll feel better about the GGG fight.

I see the Chavez fight as a bit of a test run for Canelo leading up to fighting GGG, myself. There are still too many differences though between them for it to really give him much of a feel or insight imo. For one, Golovkin uses a lot of Soviet/EE punching techniques that you'll find illustrated in Boks or Tactics of the Foreign Masters by KV Gradopolov. Those aren't Western boxing textbook punches found in the manual (most boxing fans think his punches look strange, go figure) which is why Jacobs' team was smart, I believe, to bring in multiple former Soviet Union sparring partners to prepare for him, especially to defend and/or counter GGG's lead left Russian long hook to the liver, try and emulate his relentless pressure & ring cutting ability.

Canelo stands pretty square. is there are a reason for that?

The best active boxer today that I've seen mix in lots of lighter punches with moderate to heavier ones is the guy in my AV. He'll tap and slap you with low to medium intensity punches at different tempos/speeds and then will crack you with something harder, all from different angles, on the lead and when countering. It confuses the hell out of his opponents along with all of his lateral movement, threatening to turn the corner on them, probes, feints and level changes.

I see the Chavez fight as a bit of a test run for Canelo leading up to fighting GGG, myself. There are still too many differences though between them for it to really give him much of a feel or insight imo. For one, Golovkin uses a lot of Soviet/EE punching techniques that you'll find illustrated in Boks or Tactics of the Foreign Masters by KV Gradopolov. Those aren't Western boxing textbook punches found in the manual (most boxing fans think his punches look strange, go figure) which is why Jacobs' team was smart, I believe, to bring in multiple former Soviet Union sparring partners to prepare for him, especially to defend and/or counter GGG's lead left Russian long hook to the liver, try and emulate his relentless pressure & ring cutting ability.

in jrs last six fights he has absorbed 1300 punches and was last seen thowing 34 punches a round against gatekeeper 160 reyes who is coming off a ktfo loss to some guy who was ktfo by lemuiex and stevens in the first round

when you do the math its horrible

How can he say that when he got knocked down by a body shot?

I think Canelo will be stronger at 160. It's less to take off as he walks around north of 170. That extra 6 pounds could prove useful.
Cuban how do you see a GGG v Canelo showdown

in jrs last six fights he has absorbed 1300 punches and was last seen thowing 34 punches a round against gatekeeper 160 reyes who is coming off a ktfo loss to some guy who was ktfo by lemuiex and stevens in the first round

It's mostly a money grab but Golden Boy has a curse that the cash cow gets wrecked

It's a huge mistake for Canelo to take on GGG or Jacobs ,

I agree.

I think his power is mediocre but I think he's pretty good at landing shots guys don't see and good at setting up guys for big shots.

I think when he hurts guys, its because he's making a conscious effort to land a KO punch, its not the same sort of power from guys who just hurt people when they touch them.

I've been downplaying Canelo's power for years, basically just saying it's good but not great. But I definitely would not say it is mediocre. Guys with mediocre power do not usually get the kind of knockouts that he gets. His power at 154 is good, and his power at 160 will be average.

Who hits harder than him at 160? The top guys like GGG, Lemieux, and Jacobs do. But I don't think anybody else comes to mind that is a much harder puncher.

That averages out to be ~217 punches absorbed per fight. I don't expect him to do well, at best, but he could surprise and give Canelo a harder time than expected based on grit and durability. It'll be a high profile fight for boxing regardless of what happens. Mexico vs Mexico sells even if one of them is a zombie and the other a red headed cash cow for GB.

Last edited:
He's not a massive puncher even at 54, but saying he's going to be like Malignaggi at 60 is massive hyperbole.

He's not a massive puncher even at 54, but saying he's going to be like Malignaggi at 60 is massive hyperbole.

Yeah, how many 1-punch knockouts did Paulie have at 140? Canelo has several at 154.

I mean, Canelo isn't a huge puncher but he's better than average. If Golovkin is a 10 then Canelo is a 7 on the Richter scale.

Anyone who knows boxing knows that power isn't the deciding factor in knocking someone out.

That averages out to be ~217 punches absorbed per fight. I don't expect him to do well, at best, but he could surprise and give Canelo a harder time than expected based on grit and durability. It'll be a high profile fight for boxing regardless of what happens. Mexico vs Mexico sells even if one of them is a zombie and the other a red headed cash cow for GB.

217 average punches absorbed over a six fight span is massive.

look how much damage canelo has taken over his last six...probably close to 75 punches a fight or less. miguel cotto maybe 100.

if a 164.5 chavez(the most pathetic part as canelo needs to further weaken the already shot julio) had any chance of surprising this fight would not have gotten made. just look here at the shell of caesar chavez jr against this nobody career 160

compared to prime chavez destroying legit top ten contender andy lee

My god I forgot how big JCC is lol.

Canelo still puts him down with a dig to the guts.

Per Liam Smith a very honest fighter he said Canelo power was

He punches but nothing that worries him

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/boxing/dejected-liam-smith-makes-no-11903229

If Liam can take Canelo power than Canelo has no shot against the bigger harder hitting 160 pounders . I'd rather see him attempt to unify 154
I guess a lot has to do with how hard it is for him to make 154. I don't agree with him having mediocre power at 160. I'm sure we'd see a big difference in the effect of his punches if he fought a big guy like Jacobs but he should still be able to wear down MW's even if he has to be more wary of his defense. The big question is what big fights are available. So far he's been able to pretty much cherry pick but if he does move up the money will be in unifying the title. I just hope he doesn't move up to defend as solely "The Ring" champ. If that's the case I'd rather see him unify at 154.

Timing and precision beats power.

Anyone who knows boxing knows that power isn't the deciding factor in knocking someone out.

Na, power is probably the #1 deciding factor in knocking someone out. You obviously have to land the right punch, but the right punch does not knock someone out without power.

Being very skilled will usually get you the win over a guy who relies on power, but timing and speed do not put guys to sleep, they do win rounds though.

Otherwise Mayweather, Ward, Malignaggi, and Khan would be knocking people out left and right.

Yeah I'm not sold on it either. He couldn't hurt a blown up WW in Cotto, who has been hurt before by actual WWs.

It's why I think GGG handles him. He doesn't have the legs to outbox him for 12 rounds or the power to dissuade him. And who knows about the chin, he's never been tested by a big puncher.
I think his chin is more of a question mark. His power should be enough to get respect.

I think his chin is more of a question mark. His power should be enough to get respect.

Cotto knocked around Martinez and Geale at MW and he couldn't really even make Canelo flinch. Against the likes of Golovkin or Jacobs getting hit clean too much is going to be a problem regardless of how good your chin is, but I think we've seen enough to conclude that it's at least not below average.

Back