Can we Finally Cut Anthony Smith?

also props to Anthony for coming onto the forums and talking with the fans. Nobody does this anymore. This was before his fight with Jon Jones:

Anthony Smith :
“I’ve always been lurking here y’all. Haven’t posted in a very long time. The old run of fighters getting torn to shreds pushed a lot of us into the shadows. Although I have no problem taking criticism, I’m not necessarily eager to throw myself into a meat grinder for fun. I’ve always appreciated any support I’ve gotten, especially through to rough and dark times. It’s been a long road and Im gonna keep on pushing. The criticism I get is fair and we’re already doing what we can to close those holes

For those of you saying JBJ, Gus, or DC will destroy me...they might. But they might not. At this point i think I’ve earned the opportunity to find out. I didn’t come this far and fight this hard to get to the front of the line just to look at the door and decide to turn back because people say the other side of it is too tough to handle. I understand there are other ppl in the division that have their own claim to what they want and believe their own journey has led them to a title shot but I can only call for and defend my own. From the outside don’t take take that as me discrediting them, but I gotta worry about me and try and get mine.

Take it easy on me assholes haha. I know I know, my tattoos suck, I got losses, I’m ugly, apparently my cardio sucks, the guy from the goonies, elephant man, Star Trek, I get it lol.

Ps...only one of my losses is a legit ko and it was in 2011. I got stuck in bad spots a lot when I was younger. Just sayin ”

Is this legit?...man i wish more pro guys were on here ... but i understand why not ...alot of unstable mother fuckers on here .

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE BABY!!!

I disagree with TS about pretty much everything except that Smith should be cut.

He should.

For his sake, if not the fans (tired of watching of him get CTE.)

also props to Anthony for coming onto the forums and talking with the fans. Nobody does this anymore. This was before his fight with Jon Jones:

Anthony Smith :
“I’ve always been lurking here y’all. Haven’t posted in a very long time. The old run of fighters getting torn to shreds pushed a lot of us into the shadows. Although I have no problem taking criticism, I’m not necessarily eager to throw myself into a meat grinder for fun. I’ve always appreciated any support I’ve gotten, especially through to rough and dark times. It’s been a long road and Im gonna keep on pushing. The criticism I get is fair and we’re already doing what we can to close those holes

For those of you saying JBJ, Gus, or DC will destroy me...they might. But they might not. At this point i think I’ve earned the opportunity to find out. I didn’t come this far and fight this hard to get to the front of the line just to look at the door and decide to turn back because people say the other side of it is too tough to handle. I understand there are other ppl in the division that have their own claim to what they want and believe their own journey has led them to a title shot but I can only call for and defend my own. From the outside don’t take take that as me discrediting them, but I gotta worry about me and try and get mine.

Take it easy on me assholes haha. I know I know, my tattoos suck, I got losses, I’m ugly, apparently my cardio sucks, the guy from the goonies, elephant man, Star Trek, I get it lol.

Ps...only one of my losses is a legit ko and it was in 2011. I got stuck in bad spots a lot when I was younger. Just sayin ”
Only one of those losses are legit, that right Tony?

I'm glad he stuck around and gifted us this KO highlight.
Wish more fighters would do this for us.

He had the opportunity to take the belt and be the only man to serve Jon a loss. He would’ve gotten PPV points and all the accolades that come with champ status…. But he didn’t.
instead, he took that ass whoopin from JJ. He’s got heart.
what he is missing is speed and youth.
there can only be one goatslayer

IMG_5074.jpeg

He gets far too many co-main and main event fights when its not warranted, he has got his ass whooped so many times at WW, MW and LHW.. he gets so many opportunities but has never impressed me
He's had some moments of brilliance. His mini-run was pretty good and the first fight with Span was impressive. In retrospect Clark was never good, Crute isn't what he thought he was. I'm not saying Smith is horrible but he needs to reconsider his career path if he's going to continue fighting. He's a bottom 10-15 at this point at best but still taking higher level fights in hopes of making back to a title shot which just isn't going to happen. If he accepts he just likes fighting and isn't getting a belt I wouldn't mind him taking a step down in competition and doing what older fighters have done. Trading wins and loses with younger fighters via the Jim Miller route.

I think Smith is annoying but saying he showed no heart against glover is incredibly stupid.

He might want to consider retirement,but I dont have anything against the guy or actually want him to lose his job.

Sherdog has a shitty take on Smith. Dude's not the most skilled guy in the world, and he talks a lot, which puts a target on his back, but he's absolutely got a serious heart and toughness. Thats unquestionable. He's definitely washed up, though.
Not sure which part of your take isn’t completely inline with what sherdog always says. In the lhw divisions of the past, let’s just warp back to 2012, smith is hardly a top 15 guy even at his absolute best

You're just a hater and a moron for saying he has no heart, he literally has tons but he's just not very good and gets beat to shit. He's tough as fuck as well but again that's actually working against him bc he's taking punishment he shouldn't be. He's not a terrible fighter but he's not great either and the punishment is absolutely racking up and taking it's toll and I really think he should retire while he's able to eat more than just soup.

Well said. It’s very difficult to become a champion. Smith also has a lot of fights in past, and taken a lot of damage.

Smith almost got a title shot off some BS but dude has no heart. Dudes nickname is literally Lion Heart but is the opposite. In the Glover fight he clearly attempted to get his corner to stop it "he knocked my teeth out." Dude wanted out. Now he gets rocked and turtles into a ball. He should be PFL bound but the UFC likes him for some reason. I'm guessing he gets Cutalabba next to save his job.
This guy sucks.

Special thanks to @KazDibiase

giphy-downsized-large.gif
That has to be one of the most humiliating losses I've ever seen.
Got hurt and did the chicken dance then deliberately dropped for safety which is fair enough, but then basically got "visually submitted", his opponent just raised his hand theatrically like he would strike and Smith rolls and turtles so that the ref stops it.

<Varys01>

Almost as bad as Weidmans faux injury from a legal knee to try to get DQ'd, before being told it was in fact legal

You're just a hater and a moron for saying he has no heart, he literally has tons but he's just not very good and gets beat to shit. He's tough as fuck as well but again that's actually working against him bc he's taking punishment he shouldn't be. He's not a terrible fighter but he's not great either and the punishment is absolutely racking up and taking it's toll and I really think he should retire while he's able to eat more than just soup.
100% agree with you here!

That has to be one of the most humiliating losses I've ever seen.
Got hurt and did the chicken dance then deliberately dropped for safety which is fair enough, but then basically got "visually submitted", his opponent just raised his hand theatrically like he would strike and Smith rolls and turtles so that the ref stops it.

<Varys01>

Almost as bad as Weidmans faux injury from a legal knee to try to get DQ'd, before being told it was in fact legal

"Deliberately dropped."

Jesus christ.

"Deliberately dropped."

Jesus christ.
He was wobbled but decided to drop back for a decent Judo breakfall instead of trying to regain balance to stand. I don't think it was a bad decision, it would be equivalent of dropping to a knee in boxing when you get hurt to prevent more damage standing which could have finished him, it was a defensive move.
It's just that following this he got submitted by the theatrical "I'm a gonna hit you upside you head from all the way up here" display.

He was wobbled but decided to drop back for a decent Judo breakfall instead of trying to regain balance to stand. I don't think it was a bad decision, it would be equivalent of dropping to a knee in boxing when you get hurt to prevent more damage standing which could have finished him, it was a defensive move.
It's just that following this he got submitted by the theatrical "I'm a gonna hit you upside you head from all the way up here" display.

He didn't decide anything. He was clipped, his brains were scrambled, hence the chicken dance (which was him trying to stay on his feet), then he fell over.

Back