Can we Finally Cut Anthony Smith?

Honestly I say yes, like if we can cut overeem and JDs when we did its surely smiffs time

No, there's far worse LHWs on the roster than him.
Yeah but I think his potential in the UFC has been fully explored, he’s 12-9 in the UFC and almost 40. Fighting for the title will never happen for him at this point. He’s only getting older and will spend less time at the top. If he’s not done fighting maybe he can fight nemkov or Bader someone else somewhere else, he’s no longer elite and his potential has been reached it’s best for him to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond at this point

Sherdog has a shitty take on Smith. Dude's not the most skilled guy in the world, and he talks a lot, which puts a target on his back, but he's absolutely got a serious heart and toughness. Thats unquestionable. He's definitely washed up, though.

Sherdog has a shitty take on Smith. Dude's not the most skilled guy in the world, and he talks a lot, which puts a target on his back, but he's absolutely got a serious heart and toughness. Thats unquestionable. He's definitely washed up, though.

He also took that fight on short notice.. against a VERY dangerous guy.. and the odds had him at a disadvantage..

I don't know why people are turning on him, the odds were against him for the get go in this one.. he had self belief and I credit him for going out there.

To be a successful fighter, you have to have self belief. That seems to rub people the wrong way on here - little insecure manlets.

He also took that fight on short notice.. against a VERY dangerous guy.. and the odds had him at a disadvantage..

I don't know why people are turning on him, the odds were against him for the get go in this one.. he had self belief and I credit him for going out there.

To be a successful fighter, you have to have self belief. That seems to rub people the wrong way on here - little insecure manlets.

Indeed. I think Smith is on the decline, and at his peak he was a top 3 guy. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I don't understand the hate Smith gets. Or, maybe I do, but I'm disappointed by it.

Sherdog loves shitting on him, and I don't think he deserves it. He hasn't said anything too outrageous as far as I can tell. It's weird. If you go WAY over the top, like Colby or Conor, people buy in but if you speak your mind with a flat-but-sort-of-serious affect like Anthony Smith, everybody jumps down your throat.

F9G5eTc.jpg
I’m so high rn I read that as Guns n Roses.

aaaaand the Lionfart dance is born lol someone shoop him next to brock lesnar and johnny walker at a club with randy in the foreground rockin his head to the music
Khalil knew it was done. He posed like that for the lolz.

Yeah but I think his potential in the UFC has been fully explored, he’s 12-9 in the UFC and almost 40. Fighting for the title will never happen for him at this point. He’s only getting older and will spend less time at the top. If he’s not done fighting maybe he can fight nemkov or Bader someone else somewhere else, he’s no longer elite and his potential has been reached it’s best for him to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond at this point

That should be up to him though. If he wants to stay a UFC fighter for now then he should be allowed to.

The fact he ever was considered a contender is just a testament to how thoroughly Jones wiped out the LHW division.

He's not champion material but like many other fighters, so if you cut him, you'll have to cut a lot of other fighters.

Anthony has a good deal going.

He's plugged into the UFC directly -- can go from the Desk to the Cage to take his beating and pick up some cash.

Looks like Khalil is waiting for Smith to roll back against the cage, so he can pull a Yoel/rockhold.
That Smith sick dance move before the stoppage was so cool though, looks like Swing on drugs

Looks like Khalil is so scared of his own shit cardio that he is willing to risk his opponent recovering rather than gas himself out going for a finish.

He had Smith absolutely rocked in round 1 and followed it up with literally nothing when Smith looked basically dead on his feet momentarily.

Rountree's gamble here that he could suck the ref into a walk-off KO worked, but it easily could have backfired.

He looks like Cowboy on his losing street, like a punching bag.

I'm an Anthony Smith fan, but sometimes it's hard to watch...and what makes it hard is that when he wins, he's winning very dominantly, and when he loses he just looks out of his league. Prior to his current 1-3 skid, he had 3 finishes in a row with none of the fights seeing a second round...that's not the kind of fighter you want to cut/see retire, but against the upper tier he's struggling. I think he deserves another fight or two against back end of the top 10-15 competition and then we can reevaluate...He will never see the championship, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a place.

I'm an Anthony Smith fan, but sometimes it's hard to watch...and what makes it hard is that when he wins, he's winning very dominantly, and when he loses he just looks out of his league. Prior to his current 1-3 skid, he had 3 finishes in a row with none of the fights seeing a second round...that's not the kind of fighter you want to cut/see retire, but against the upper tier he's struggling. I think he deserves another fight or two against back end of the top 10-15 competition and then we can reevaluate...He will never see the championship, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a place.
Well said. I don't know why a lot of people on here think anyone that isn't champion material has no place and needs to hang them up or go off to PFL. Like comon. Not everyone on the roster is going to be champion. That's just the reality and there's nothing wrong with that.

TS is silly. I love a Smith fight good chance for violence win or lose. He always shows up on short notice too he's the gatekeeper lhw needs. Why cut him so many young bucks need a win like Smith.

His issue is fight IQ. In almost all of his recent losses, he has a big advantage on the ground. Sure he doesn't have the best takedowns or a great deal of ability in taking the fight there, but the big issue in my mind is he doesn't even try.

He is perfectly contend to stand and get beat up until he gasses. And he either goes on to lose, or make a fight that should have been relatively simple really close, like the 2nd Spann fight.

There are also other factors at play, some of which are beyond his control. He snapped his ankle against Ankalaev, he took the fight with Khalil on 2 weeks notice, and he's also currently in a transition period where he's trying to completely rework his stomach and his overall striking game to avoid leg kicks, which is leaving him open to other things.

Until he gets that figured out he needs to start trying to grapple with guys.

Smith almost got a title shot off some BS but dude has no heart. Dudes nickname is literally Lion Heart but is the opposite. In the Glover fight he clearly attempted to get his corner to stop it "he knocked my teeth out." Dude wanted out. Now he gets rocked and turtles into a ball. He should be PFL bound but the UFC likes him for some reason. I'm guessing he gets Cutalabba next to save his job.
Worst take. Even in the Khalil fight he was turning back to continue fighting even though he was fully done. He didn't quit in either of those fights. He just got beaten by a better fighter and finished in those fights. No shame in that.

His only issue is he shit talks other fighters, when most of the time he isn't on their level.

Never understood the hate for Anthony Smith. You don’t think he has it anymore ? Fine. But man the disrespect on these forums is out of control. Half of Anthony’s losses were early in his career and the other half are against KILLERS. Anthony is also great on the mic . I hope he gets a permanent commentary job.

People’s anger and hatred for Anthony Smith should be directed towards the UFC’s awful LHW and HW roster. It was better 15 years ago than it is today.

also props to Anthony for coming onto the forums and talking with the fans. Nobody does this anymore. This was before his fight with Jon Jones:

Anthony Smith :
“I’ve always been lurking here y’all. Haven’t posted in a very long time. The old run of fighters getting torn to shreds pushed a lot of us into the shadows. Although I have no problem taking criticism, I’m not necessarily eager to throw myself into a meat grinder for fun. I’ve always appreciated any support I’ve gotten, especially through to rough and dark times. It’s been a long road and Im gonna keep on pushing. The criticism I get is fair and we’re already doing what we can to close those holes

For those of you saying JBJ, Gus, or DC will destroy me...they might. But they might not. At this point i think I’ve earned the opportunity to find out. I didn’t come this far and fight this hard to get to the front of the line just to look at the door and decide to turn back because people say the other side of it is too tough to handle. I understand there are other ppl in the division that have their own claim to what they want and believe their own journey has led them to a title shot but I can only call for and defend my own. From the outside don’t take take that as me discrediting them, but I gotta worry about me and try and get mine.

Take it easy on me assholes haha. I know I know, my tattoos suck, I got losses, I’m ugly, apparently my cardio sucks, the guy from the goonies, elephant man, Star Trek, I get it lol.

Ps...only one of my losses is a legit ko and it was in 2011. I got stuck in bad spots a lot when I was younger. Just sayin ”

Last edited:
Back