Can we end the debate and troll threads? An MMA guy and a boxer at even levels, MMA will win 95%

It isn't really a debate. It is the plain old facts.

Thats what every thread starter says.

Its an opinion, which I agree with. Not a fact. Time to move on and let it go

Thats what every thread starter says.

Its an opinion, which I agree with. Not a fact. Time to move on and let it go
:p But this thread starter is a 230 lb ex boxer. And as such, I can still knock a guy out pretty easily. I look at my boys though, and I think, those kids still fear me, but they train mma and if they got me on the ground I am done like dinner.

I don't give a fuck. They are two totally different sports I love watching. As for boxing, it is more than sufficient for 9 out of 10 situations. Starting shit with a guy like George Foreman or Tyson is a retarded idea that will almost certainly lead to a concussion and broken bones. Even little pac man would hurt your avg joe. News flash, boxers aren't pussys and can hurt you even if you know 100 styles given the right opportunity. That's mainly what people are trying to say in over 1k threads.

I am the old guy here. I watched Ali fight in his prime. I watched when MMA first came out. And I have watched the progression. Plain and simple, a boxer will almost certainly beat an MMA guy in boxing. And an MMA guy will almost certainly beat a boxer in a fight. Boxing is boxing. It is a sport based around fist fighting. Because, as humans, we tend to fist fight to settle arguments. MMA was a sort of new idea that you could use other moves to beat people in a fight as well as punches. Boxing, karate, wrestling, grappling, etc. The idea was, man, if you were good at all that shit, you would be a tough motherfucker.

Boxers are boxers. MMA fighters are a bit of everything, including boxing. Times change. The world moves on.
Shut right on the fuck up. MMA fighters are mostly comprised of people who cant cut it in life. Top boxers are pampered and focused on a singular goal. Your fucking god conor mcgetktfoby40yrolds used to be on welfare and a failed plumber. Shut that shit down now. They arent the best athletes, they arent the most cerebral, they simply have no other out in life, save BJ Penn. A true GOAT. Fuck your thread.

:p But this thread starter is a 230 lb ex boxer. And as such, I can still knock a guy out pretty easily. I look at my boys though, and I think, those kids still fear me, but they train mma and if they got me on the ground I am done like dinner.
Pussy

Shut right on the fuck up. MMA fighters are mostly comprised of people who cant cut it in life. Top boxers are pampered and focused on a singular goal. Your fucking god conor mcgetktfoby40yrolds used to be on welfare and a failed plumber. Shut that shit down now. They arent the best athletes, they arent the most cerebral, they simply have no other out in life, save BJ Penn. A true GOAT. Fuck your thread.
MMA guys don't need to be the best athletes to beat a boxer. MMA is simply a better skill set to win a fight.

It would be interesting to hear from fighters on the topic...not to get off topic.

When I was training, I used to hang with a lot of Thai Boxers because they didn't use much, if any, traditional boxing. After 3 years of training I went and trained with a boxing coach and sparred with regional level pros. To say that was a wake up call would be an understatement. For one or two rounds I was OK, but from then on I got totally picked apart by all of them.

Conversely, we used to have a local rugby football team train with us one night a week with wrestling. I'm a LW, and most of these young guys were 90kg+, and I don't recall any of them taking me down. We even commented after training how easy they were to takedown, considering we all believed that if you trained in a sport to tackle constantly, you could at least shoot a decent double.

I did straight BJJ at a BJJ school two years ago and was a bit demoralized by how much tapping I did every night - these guys were far and away better than most of my MMA teammates in rolls.

What I'm trying to say is that MMA practitioners really are a jack of all trades and a master of none, but it is its own game. If you're missing just one of the tools (boxing, MT, wrestling, BJJ) you are at a huge disadvantage to the next MMA fighter.

So yeah, I agree with TS's sentiment, but that's from my practical experience.

MMA guys don't need to be the best athletes to beat a boxer. MMA is simply a better skill set to win a fight.
Hmm I'll take a guy that has trained to knock out another person with one punch, over the people who trains to kick at legs, grab onto holds and try to submit, because even in wrestling and bjj matches, they all start fucking on the feet. Your argument is invalid.

It would be interesting to hear from fighters on the topic...not to get off topic.

When I was training, I used to hang with a lot of Thai Boxers because they didn't use much, if any, traditional boxing. After 3 years of training I went and trained with a boxing coach and sparred with regional level pros. To say that was a wake up call would be an understatement. For one or two rounds I was OK, but from then on I got totally picked apart by all of them.

Conversely, we used to have a local rugby football team train with us one night a week with wrestling. I'm a LW, and most of these young guys were 90kg+, and I don't recall any of them taking me down. We even commented after training how easy they were to takedown, considering we all believed that if you trained in a sport to tackle constantly, you could at least shoot a decent double.

I did straight BJJ at a BJJ school two years ago and was a bit demoralized by how much tapping I did every night - these guys were far and away better than most of my MMA teammates in rolls.

What I'm trying to say is that MMA practitioners really are a jack of all trades and a master of none, but it is its own game. If you're missing just one of the tools (boxing, MT, wrestling, BJJ) you are at a huge disadvantage to the next MMA fighter.

So yeah, I agree with TS's sentiment, but that's from my practical experience.
I agree with that. I just dont automatically assume someone trains mma that they whoop every other athletes ass. Its not factual, and not practical.

Hmm I'll take a guy that has trained to knock out another person with one punch, over the people who trains to kick at legs, grab onto holds and try to submit, because even in wrestling and bjj matches, they all start fucking on the feet. Your argument is invalid.
Damn man i don't even know how to say it but if you really believe you're right with that point of view i'd ask you to maybe consider suicide, you're a really different kind of stupid-human who shouldn't be stealing my oxygen

I agree with that. I just dont automatically assume someone trains mma that they whoop every other athletes ass. Its not factual, and not practical.
I don't believe in sport crossovers, period. There's plenty of boxers who could never make it in MMA, just as many MMA fighters would never make it in boxing. Totally different sports.

I can wrestle pretty well, but I'm quite shit as a BJJ practitioner. That's me, and variables apply to everyone.

Well as evidence we have the Couture win over Toney and the Mercer knockout of Sylvia which leads to :they are both f'in fighters so the outcome can never be predetermined

Conor was competitive if he didn't gas and had anticipated the game plan change he would have won that fight.
{<jordan}

Floyd owns conor's soul, Floyd didn't even train hard for this fight.

Conor was competitive if he didn't gas and had anticipated the game plan change he would have won that fight.
He did better than everyone anticipated, but at best, he would have just lost a points decision if his gas tank was more improved.

Anyone who knows anything about boxing and Floyd know that he's a notoriously slow starter. Especially in the back end of his career, he would drop early rounds, find his opponents timing, and then start firing back.

If they fought again in a year, the best we could hope for is Conor making it to the final bell. He never was going to beat Floyd.

Yes. Our wrestlers in HS would beat up grown men and football players twice their size which was equivalent of "A" athletes at that level - all he proof I needed. I remember no one fucked with the wrestlers at any party.

One thing that you're not an 'ex' in is being a douche bag. You may well be the current heavy weight champ..

Damn man i don't even know how to say it but if you really believe you're right with that point of view i'd ask you to maybe consider suicide, you're a really different kind of stupid-human who shouldn't be stealing my oxygen
And I'll say you're a fucking dumbass if you consider how fights start, people talking shit, or in a ring, people standing, or in a octagon, people standing. Which a striker has an advantage in. You should stop fondling your kids, and commit the suicide. Fucking dumb piece of shit.

maybe if they each know the others skills first. But I'd rather be a world class boxer in a fight than a world class MMA fighter. Because in any realistic scenario either beats any one opponent easily and the better striker does better with more than one person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back