California dam RIP

Building fresh-water Dams are far cheaper than converting ocean water. If you follow the environmentalist mantra, you will just make things unlivable for most poor people in your state.

Cheaper when it come to agriculture yes, when it comes to making the water of the dam reach your tap water? not necesarily, since tap water needs to be sanitized.

In case you guys weren't aware, there are many republicans living in California too... and the county where the flood is happening (Butte County) is a rural county that voted Republican

election-2016-county-map.png

Not that it matters... for fucks sake these are Americans being affected... are you guys so partisan that you only care about helping victims who are members of your party?
I agree, we gotta help these Americans.

it's really a shame what has happened to the water in Cali. Mono Lake used to be a agricultural den, until LA started stealing their water essentially to fill their aquaduct or whatever.

Went from a green, beautiful place to the site of the filming of High Plains Drifter

Negative.

After paying for the water needed via the Colorado, it is a pretty good bet they would end up further in the hole. Other states are already asking D.C. for a bigger share of the freshwater NOW, and they are still part of the U.S.

Never mind the vast erosion of their Agricultural industry as the US shifted production back to the Midwest, also bringing more income to those states for dealing with their own disasters (frequent floods and the infamous tornado alley).

I'm sure their water bill will be higher than the Federal tax dollars paid by Cali.

Also, to those who says its Trumps job to help with situations like this, why should he help a state that wants to be a sanctuary state? California is picking and choosing which laws to enforce. Why shouldnt Trump choose which states he helps? Brown was all big and bad until he needed something.

He should help b/c he is the POTUS and those people are Americans ... just a thought.

Yup. The irony is to much to pass up. Fuck California

Ironic indeed considering it would be mostly your fellow republicans of rural Butte County who would suffer as a result, not liberals in LA. Unfortunate that your partisanship blinds you.

I doubt that's the case. I think the Oroville authorities were lax in releasing water and got caught when they were inundated by several large storms.

Take a look at the state's major reservoirs. Most of them are not even close to topping off. Trinity is at 71 percent. Melones is at 55 percent. Folsom is at 69 percent. That's what I would expect at this time of the year, when we are only halfway through winter and the snow levels in the mountains are near record highs.

Usually the state's reservoirs are near their fullest in May or June, when the springs rains have recently stopped and the snow melt is beginning to come off the mountains.
You're definitely right with everything here. They certainly got caught being greedy. There's a graph showing the release of water before the last storm dropping below 20,000cfs(it's gushing at 100,000cfs right now).

BTW better live stream here featuring the sexy ass Deirdre Fitzpatrick: http://www.kcra.com/nowcast

1.- Because infrastructure is a large encompassing word that doesnt limits itself to dams.

2.- Most of California water goes to turning pieces of desert into green pastures or to water intensive crops.

3.- Desalination plants could be used to serve the population centers for example, agriculture could certainly improve its efficiency and i dont know about water distribution but there is a lot of loss in open water reservoirs and canals that could be addressed without the need to build more dams.

There's a reason desalination plants aren't used for anything other than boutique purposes. They're too damn expensive. They cost too much and they use too much energy. In the modern environmentalist parlance, they have a huge carbon footprint.

Liberals in this state would have long ago converted to desalination plants if they could have afforded to do so and if they didn't use so much energy in the first place.

Trumpsters cheering for their fellow Trumpsters tragedy in this thread. Pretty funny if it wasn't sad. Glad to see those conservative christian values exposed for what they really are.

And of course California is going to ask for federal disaster relief. They pay into the fund, why wouldn't they want to use it when a disaster happens?

I have relatives in Yreka, they literally own a Llama farm....

a fucking llama farm, cali hahahah
A llama farm on prime herb soil

Smh

Although that's not as surprising as the sheer number(like dozens) of alpaca farms in the state lmao

Cheaper when it come to agriculture yes, when it comes to making the water of the dam reach your tap water? not necesarily, since tap water needs to be sanitized.

You forgot about that carbon footprint.

This is a perfect opportunity for Trump to "Go Earns Some Fans" by showing support to California in this situation and moving quickly and decisively to deal with the issue of the dam.

But I'll be surprised if he doesn't screw this up.

Yea, I agree. Politically speaking, I think the smart play here is for Trump to move quickly to aid them in their time of need. If they keep their shit up afterwards, it'll be they who look bad for it, not Trump.

And again, this particular instance is not an infrastructure failure.

No dam is designed to have water spill over the curtain.
Dude the fucking mountainside is eroding. There's the possibility the entire thing blows out and literally sends a 100 foot wall of water at several towns...it's a lot of incompetence, a bit of being unlucky, and a lot of aging infrastructure that should have/could have been upgraded. They knew for a year there was a very solid chance we were getting good rainfall here- they could have paved the auxiliary, or made some alternative plan.

Right now the hope is the whole hillside doesn't erode and send 3,000,000 square acres of water all at once.

The scary part is, and they won't say it because people will panic, is that if that happens we're talking Sacramento County needing to be evacuated which will result in millions of evacuations.

Say what you want about Cali and their water, but when i visited last year, their fucking tap water tasted great.

There's a reason desalination plants aren't used for anything other than boutique purposes. They're too damn expensive. They cost too much and they use too much energy. In the modern environmentalist parlance, they have a huge carbon footprint.

Liberals in this state would have long ago converted to desalination plants if they could have afforded to do so and if they didn't use so much energy in the first place.

1.- They dont cost that much last time i checked it was around 50cents a dollar per cubic meter and that was when energy prices were through the roof, the costs rise when you are trying to feed inland cities because you are pumping against gravity.

2.- You ignore the externalities of dam building, which can be quite costly. And dams are not that green as once thought due to methane production on the bottom of artificial lakes.

3.- Im quite positive its not "city liberals" the ones trying to save the Californian outdoors, the ones that would be the most fucked up would be northern Californians who would see their lands to turn into arid areas as water is diverted to the cities and river basin ecosystems end up drying up.

You forgot about that carbon footprint.

That depends on the source of energy used to feed desalination, if you are using green energy the print is lower.

And dams do produce a lot of greenhouse gases.

Dude the fucking mountainside is eroding. There's the possibility the entire thing blows out and literally sends a 100 foot wall of water at several towns...it's a lot of incompetence, a bit of being unlucky, and a lot of aging infrastructure that should have/could have been upgraded. They knew for a year there was a very solid chance we were getting good rainfall here- they could have paved the auxiliary, or made some alternative plan.

Right now the hope is the whole hillside doesn't erode and send 3,000,000 square acres of water all at once.

The scary part is, and they won't say it because people will panic, is that if that happens we're talking Sacramento County needing to be evacuated which will result in millions of evacuations.

Or they could had released water earlier but im guessing they wanted to take a picture with the dam at full capacity.

it's really a shame what has happened to the water in Cali. Mono Lake used to be a agricultural den, until LA started stealing their water essentially to fill their aquaduct or whatever.

Went from a green, beautiful place to the site of the filming of High Plains Drifter
Owens Valley, Chinatown...horrible shit.

Between the luscious green lawn liberals in SF and LA to the farmers with water hungry table snack crops(that they export to China)in the middle of the fucking desert(Kern County)sucking fresh water from the Sierras, these people are wreaking havoc at the expense of the California population that gets absolutely nothing in return.

Owens Valley, Chinatown...horrible shit.

Between the luscious green lawn liberals in SF and LA to the farmers with water hungry table snack crops(that they export to China)in the middle of the fucking desert(Kern County)sucking fresh water from the Sierras, these people are wreaking havoc at the expense of the California population that gets absolutely nothing in return.
oddly enough, we have our own water table up here, that doesn't come from the Colorado River (like the Palm Springs area does down the hill), so our water is virtually free. And I live in the hottest part of the US/World that isn't Death Valley
edit: now our electricity bill, under Edison, is fucking egregious. Even moreso if you have Central Air as I do, as opposed to a swampcooler

Last edited:
Back