California dam RIP

Too bad people didn't listen to arnold a decade ago... this is 100% moonbeam and the democrat leadership of californias fault period.
From Gov. Brown today:

"The governor deflected blame from himself and the Department of Water Resources for failing water infrastructure in the state, particularly the Oroville Dam, where two damaged spillways threatened massive flooding and caused an urgent evacuation.

"This is the way the world works," Brown said. "If we want to guard against any problem 100 percent, you'd have to quadruple the spending, and that wouldn't make any sense."

He downplayed the significance of concerns that environmental groups raised more than a decade ago about the safety of the emergency spillway at Oroville Dam. In 2005, three advocacy groups filed a motion with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission that warned using the emergency spillway could cause significant erosion.

"I don't think that's very significant that an environmental group filed something," he said, noting that the state can never completely eliminate risks associated with infrastructure like the dam's massive earthen spillway."

Yeesh

From Gov. Brown today:

"The governor deflected blame from himself and the Department of Water Resources for failing water infrastructure in the state, particularly the Oroville Dam, where two damaged spillways threatened massive flooding and caused an urgent evacuation.

"This is the way the world works," Brown said. "If we want to guard against any problem 100 percent, you'd have to quadruple the spending, and that wouldn't make any sense."

He downplayed the significance of concerns that environmental groups raised more than a decade ago about the safety of the emergency spillway at Oroville Dam. In 2005, three advocacy groups filed a motion with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission that warned using the emergency spillway could cause significant erosion.

"I don't think that's very significant that an environmental group filed something," he said, noting that the state can never completely eliminate risks associated with infrastructure like the dam's massive earthen spillway."

Yeesh

Classic Jerry Brown. Such a long-winded way to say "Hey, I don't give a damn about 50 year-old dams".

The only infrastructure he's throwing money at is that stupid CA High-Speed Rail pet project of his with such budget overruns that would make Lockheed Martin's F-35 proud.

Classic Jerry Brown. Such a long-winded way to say "Hey, I don't give a damn about 50 year-old dams".

The only infrastructure he's throwing money at is that stupid CA High-Speed Rail pet project of his with such budget overruns that would make Lockheed Martin's F-35 proud.
Here's the article I read if you wanna check it out. He pulled $50 mil from the general fund, and is looking to use a few hundred mil from a water bond passed in 2014 for general flood prevention work/maintenance, but also says the state needs $187 BILLION in infrastructure work (overall,not just for flood stuff)!!

http://www.ktvu.com/news/237912171-story

They also posted a correction. I'm glad local news outlets are still trying to report responsibly.

Pretty thorough update video from an informed and motivated dude. First 7 minutes is him talking about the situation, then it moves on to his experience going to the dam, the spillway, and all around. He does a very good job of pointing out the locations of things around the dam while narrating.

Other videos I've seen from this week claim the only reason the reservoir has been able to be dropped by 50ft is because the 9 dams upstream from this one have been restricting or stopping outflow while repairs are done in Oroville, but now those reservoirs are near or at capacity and have no choice but to let the water flow, which of course will inundate the Oroville reservoir with massive amounts of water, which the continued rain is already doing.

Another video I watched last night showed National Guard troops speaking with a person in their car, concealing their phone from the troops, and they claimed the National Guard is preparing for the worst case scenario of a catastrophic failure of the Oroville Dam due to the ongoing erosion at the main spillway. This contingency would include the possibility of evacuating most areas south of the dam down the central valkey all the way to MERCED, which is about 180 miles south!! This would include Sacramento, Stockton, etc!

Just to be clear, the emergency spillway is NOT repaired at this time (one engineer at the dam said they've patched up only about 8% of the damage there) and the main spillway, the one with the massive breach that's spilling water down the earthen embankment, is still flowing at maximum capacity, 60,000 cubic feet per second.

I highly recommend watching the video, at least from the 7 minute mark, because it shows the current situation very up close, and has tons of information that could be useful in understanding the functionality/state of repair (disrepair?) of other dams throughout the country.

@Arkain2K because I know you like thorough, independent reporting and being informed :)

It's definitely good to hear the NG is preparing for the shit that's not talked about on the news or by people at all. I said it earlier in this thread that if that damn breaks, we're talking millions of evacuees.

Let's also not forget the states other dozens of dams and levees and weirs which are decades- or even a century old!

The valley from Redding to Fresno was once a massive Lake. Worst case scenario is it becomes one again. It's as simple as gravity. That's all.

It's definitely good to hear the NG is preparing for the shit that's not talked about on the news or by people at all. I said it earlier in this thread that if that damn breaks, we're talking millions of evacuees.

Let's also not forget the states other dozens of dams and levees and weirs which are decades- or even a century old!

The valley from Redding to Fresno was once a massive Lake. Worst case scenario is it becomes one again. It's as simple as gravity. That's all.

We're ready in Orange County, bros!

You seen what happened in San Jose when Anderson Reservoir filled up? Coyote Creek goes near my office by the airport but it didn't flood over right there.

This is God smiting the wicked for their heathenous ways. Enjoy the LBGTQ and some rain.

You seen what happened in San Jose when Anderson Reservoir filled up? Coyote Creek goes near my office by the airport but it didn't flood over right there.
Yeah that was insane. I did not see that coming- didn't even know it was possible. Scary shit man

**Conspiracy theory alert**

I just overheard a lady talking about a coworker of hers who is involved in the ongoing fixes on the Oroville Dam, and she claims this man Craig is sequestered and forbidden from sharing any information about the work on the dam!?

Regardless, here's an update from yesterday from Dan Brekke of local public radio/tv affiliate KQED:

https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2017/02/07/engineers-assess-spillway-problem-at-oroville-dam/

"DWR says the work — which at various points has meant marshaling a contractor army of helicopters, cranes, bulldozers, loaders, trucks and barges — has cost about $4.7 million a day. If that figure is accurate, the effort to deal with the broken spillway and severe erosion below the dam’s emergency weir has cost about $180 million so far."

The article give a complete timeline of events and is very thorough, although I haven't heard almost any talk about the dam work on KQED radio recently. In my opinion the melting that's started, rain next week, and ongoing and inevitable erosion should be an ongoing point of discussion, not even to mention the ongoing cost.

Yeah that was insane. I did not see that coming- didn't even know it was possible. Scary shit man

There's something inherently wrong when the press use words like "magnificent" and "spectacular" to describe an overflowing dam at 104% capacity, when it only supposed to have a max cap of 60% inside a quake zone.

https://sanfrancisco-cbslocal-com.c...ir-runoff-triggers-spectacular-waterfall/amp/

The rain stopped and the danger has subsided for now, but there's little chance the Bureaucrats in Sacramento learned anything from this.

Simple math: CA population doubled in the last 50 years, so the water reservoirs should have been doubled as well. Preferably with newly-built infrastructures instead of overtaxing the old ones.

Last edited:
Back