calf kicks >>> thigh kicks

Leg kicks very, very rarely end fights. They just have the capacity to hobble fighters, compromise their base, and leave them unable to display their skills at 100%. That's how Gil/Stephens played out.

Aldo/Faber is an even better example. It was the two best FW's in the world (at the time) going head to head.

But after the first round that fight was a joke. It was basically a whole man versus half a man. Could have been a back and forth barn burner if not for the sissy kicks.

I see it as one fighter exposing his oponent weakness in one area, and if we miss a great fight I blame the one that can't check low kicks effectively (if he really does nothing about it) or just appreciate the skill of the fighter that still managed to use it if his oponent is just outmatched in the low kick/checking subgame and striking in general

99% of the time when people check a thigh kick they try to block with their shin, it's very difficult to intentionally put it on your knee. Blocking with a shin=blocked.

With a calf kick you only have to point your toes out to check it and then you are still in position with both feet on the ground ready to throw. At least when your opponent checks a thigh kick, he's stuck planted on one leg while you retract yours

arent you supposed to raise you leg when you check a calf kick?

I figured it out years ago. Thats why i quit fighting mma to take up boxing, my Mma coach was a high level muay thai guy and even in light/medium sparring he would just destroy your lead leg with low kicks.

It takes years and years of training to toughen up your shins, even checking his kicks would leave your shins black and blue and he was barely kicking hard.

Thats why i think Dana should be targeting high level muay thai guys from thailand. Cos leg kicks are absolutely brutal. Hit me in the head all day, no problem. But 3 or 4 leg kicks and you struggle to stand on the leg. Unfortunately the prestige in thailand is still in muay thai. But in a few years i think you will start to see some high level guys transitioning to mma and dominating.

Gaethje uses leg kicks well and sets up most of his finishes with low kicks.
That's y u gotta stay light on your feet check the feet not shin and go for the takedown when u see the kick coming

Most fans get pretty into a solid low kick by Aldo or Barboza.

I'm more impressed and excited by one of their heavy low kicks than most punches. I think that's pretty common. It's blatantly obvious the immense damage they're causing.

Most leg kicks aren't that great, but neither are most punches or most high kicks. A solid low kick makes you go "oh shit, that musta hurt".

Like, you are failing miserably in your absurd anti-low kick vendetta.

LOL get the fuck real, using low kicks makes Aldo or Barboza or Shogun less manly?? I can hardly believe you're serious.

People don't utilize low kicks in street fights because first of all, they wear shoes. If you're wearing a shoe, you do more damage hitting them with the shoe part than your shin.

Secondly these guys generally have no training and kicks require more skill than punches.

Thirdly they learn techniques mostly through media. Low kicks have never been a thing in movies.

That random dudes don't use low kicks makes perfect sense. When fighting skilled opponents without shoes though, they become very useful.

Wanting to outlaw effective legit techniques in MMA is dumb shit, plain and simple.
It's not the shoes they actually help more example tennis it's the attire like jeans or long pants best bet would be a push kick to the knee

Back