calf kicks >>> thigh kicks

xMaxPower

Red Belt
Reaction score
I wonder why it took this long for fighters to figure this out.

Benson Henderson says hi

I always spam them whenever me and my buddies spar. Whenever I try to throw a thigh kick my opponent blocks with their knee, so I'm too scared to throw thigh kicks because I don't want to be Anderson in the Weidman 2 fight lol. Besides, since a calf kick is lower, it means it's harder for your opponent to catch it, right?

I always spam them whenever me and my buddies spar. Whenever I try to throw a thigh kick my opponent blocks with their knee, so I'm too scared to throw thigh kicks because I don't want to be Anderson in the Weidman 2 fight lol. Besides, since a calf kick is lower, it means it's harder for your opponent to catch it, right?
Harder to hit their knee but easier for them to block with the shin. If you throw kicks you're gonna hurt your foot/shin, it's inevitable

I dont know why but they seem cheap to me.

I think most American men have a deep-seated discomfort with all leg kicks in combat. And, like you, see them as cheap or dirty. It goes back to childhood.

Imagine you had seen two kids square off for a fight after school. The fight starts and one kid starts kicking the other kid in the legs. No one would have thought that kid was a badass. They would have thought he was a sissy - because "kicking is for girls".

Now, imagine the same kid throwing a high head kick. Or a spinning back kick to the solar plexus. The kid would have been seen as a virtual superhero. The baddest mofo on the playground.

Personally, I would love to see all kicks below the waist ruled illegal in MMA. Would improve performances greatly, IMO.

Due to one kick in one fight landing perfectly on Gilbert's calf and it blowing up?

If someone lands a thigh kick next week and fractures someone's thigh bone then it will be:

Thigh kicks>>>>>Calf kicks

Benson Henderson says hi
It seems like he invented it lol. When Showtime beat him he called Ben out on how effective his calf kick was and said he'll add that to his game.

Do you remember about our Full kit bet or have you been forgotten? Don't be a pussy.

Send the kit

I dont know why but they seem cheap to me.

I get what you mean. It's not a hard technique to throw and it completely changes the outcome of the fight. It's apart of the game now and people have to account for it. If you have a long and thin lower leg with a lot of weight on that lead foot, you will be susceptible to getting it chopped off.

James+Krause+Low+Kicks+Jamie+Varner+%2528Ankle+Break%2529+UFC+173.gif

Machida_2.jpg

Calf kicks been done. But they'll probably catch on now.

AV

tciQgLp.png

Belt: Slave of Platinum Nation

Sig: Should not have trusted Saltelina. Nunes always had her number. If anyone got robbed then it was me. I got robbed from my integrity.

Last edited:
I think most American men have a deep-seated discomfort with all leg kicks in combat. And, like you, see them as cheap or dirty. It goes back to childhood.

Imagine you had seen two kids square off for a fight after school. The fight starts and one kid starts kicking the other kid in the legs. No one would have thought that kid was a badass. They would have thought he was a sissy - because "kicking is for girls".

Now, imagine the same kid throwing a high head kick. Or a spinning back kick to the solar plexus. The kid would have been seen as a virtual superhero. The baddest mofo on the playground.

Personally, I would love to see all kicks below the waist ruled illegal in MMA. Would improve performances greatly, IMO.

This isn't a school yard. It's professional combat. There is no discernible reason for leg kicks to be banned in MMA. You're basically admitting that you're a pussy who can't handle leg kicks.

MMA should have LESS restrictions on striking, not more. Unfortunately the guidelines for MMA were primarily developed by those with a grappling bias.

For the same reason not all fighters kick to the side or front of the knee. If you are going to dish it out, you have to be willing to take it. It's also not the most entertaining way to finish a fight.

Makes sense. Less muscle/fat to protect it. Easier to make him react (move leg, fall down, etc.).

No. Way easier to check.... but if they aren't checking, throw what you want

Back