calf kicks >>> thigh kicks

calf kicks are way easier to check? care to explain?

What do you think is easier, blocking a kick with your shin when they're targeting your calf or your thigh? Even if you were to check a thigh kick with your knee it's still harder. Your thigh is a much larger target and higher up on your leg. It's a lot harder to protect. It's pretty simple.

This isn't a school yard. It's professional combat. There is no discernible reason for leg kicks to be banned in MMA. You're basically admitting that you're a pussy who can't handle leg kicks.

lol This has zero to do with me personally, guy. I would certainly rather be kicked in the leg than take a shin bone to the skull but I'm not advocating for a ban on head kicks. Try to logic more.

Anyone who is impressed by a fighter who wins a decision because his opponent can only gimp around the cage due to leg kicks is not a fan of MMA for the same reason I am, that's for sure.

That Giblert/Stephens fight could have been fireworks if not for the sissy chops.

200.gif

lol This has zero to do with me personally, guy. I would certainly rather be kicked in the leg than take a shin bone to the skull but I'm not advocating for a ban on head kicks. Try to logic more.

Anyone who is impressed by a fighter who wins a decision because his opponent can only gimp around the cage due to leg kicks is not a fan of MMA for the same reason I am, that's for sure.

That Giblert/Stephens fight could have been fireworks if not for the sissy chops.

That's still a really stupid fucking reason to ban a perfectly acceptable technique.

A lot of people think the ground aspect of fighting is boring too. Should we ban ground fighting from MMA?

A lot of people think the ground aspect of fighting is boring too. Should we ban ground fighting from MMA?

Ground fighting is a complex chess game. A good ground fight is as exciting and scientific as a good boxing match. One small error and the fight is over in an instant.

What do you think is easier, blocking a kick with your shin when they're targeting your calf or your thigh? Even if you were to check a thigh kick with your knee it's still harder. Your thigh is a much larger target and higher up on your leg. It's a lot harder to protect. It's pretty simple.

I am not a muay thai expert by any means, but this is how I think of it:

With a thigh kick, the opponent has the option to block it with his knee, thus causing no harm to himself and potentially breaking the other persons leg. It's harder to check with the shin because the thigh kick is higher up, but I would imagine you would rather block with your knee rather then your shin. If it is checked with the shin, I would imagine both fighters would feel it. Thigh kicks are also easier to catch, leading to a takedown.

With a calf kick.... it cant be checked by the knee since the kick is too low. The person checking can only check with their shin, which will still hurt them, but hurt the person throwing it too. Usually the thicker, stronger leg will prevail in these exchanges.

The thigh can withstand so much more punishment then the calf since the calf supports everything but is just a small body part.

Brent Primus got a nice one on Chandler in bellator

And he insists he trains them every day!

I think most American men have a deep-seated discomfort with all leg kicks in combat. And, like you, see them as cheap or dirty. It goes back to childhood.

Imagine you had seen two kids square off for a fight after school. The fight starts and one kid starts kicking the other kid in the legs. No one would have thought that kid was a badass. They would have thought he was a sissy - because "kicking is for girls".

Now, imagine the same kid throwing a high head kick. Or a spinning back kick to the solar plexus. The kid would have been seen as a virtual superhero. The baddest mofo on the playground.

Personally, I would love to see all kicks below the waist ruled illegal in MMA. Would improve performances greatly, IMO.
I agreed with you until the nonsense about banning lower kicks. MMA needs less stupid rules, not more.

You need basic rules like no low blows or eye gouges, but outside a few core rules all strikes should be legal. The more dumb rules, the less it reflects a fight, the less you're testing one fight style versus another.

I wonder why it took this long for fighters to figure this out.

I figured it out years ago. Thats why i quit fighting mma to take up boxing, my Mma coach was a high level muay thai guy and even in light/medium sparring he would just destroy your lead leg with low kicks.

It takes years and years of training to toughen up your shins, even checking his kicks would leave your shins black and blue and he was barely kicking hard.

Thats why i think Dana should be targeting high level muay thai guys from thailand. Cos leg kicks are absolutely brutal. Hit me in the head all day, no problem. But 3 or 4 leg kicks and you struggle to stand on the leg. Unfortunately the prestige in thailand is still in muay thai. But in a few years i think you will start to see some high level guys transitioning to mma and dominating.

Gaethje uses leg kicks well and sets up most of his finishes with low kicks.

Ground fighting is a complex chess game. A good ground fight is as exciting and scientific as a good boxing match. One small error and the fight is over in an instant.
Leg kicks are also exciting. Aldo and Barboza's kicks are awesome. Shogun's kicks on Machida could certainly qualify as part of the MMA chess game.

You just don't appreciate lower kicks for some truly bizarre region.

I think most American men have a deep-seated discomfort with all leg kicks in combat. And, like you, see them as cheap or dirty. It goes back to childhood.

Imagine you had seen two kids square off for a fight after school. The fight starts and one kid starts kicking the other kid in the legs. No one would have thought that kid was a badass. They would have thought he was a sissy - because "kicking is for girls".

Now, imagine the same kid throwing a high head kick. Or a spinning back kick to the solar plexus. The kid would have been seen as a virtual superhero. The baddest mofo on the playground.

Personally, I would love to see all kicks below the waist ruled illegal in MMA. Would improve performances greatly, IMO.
What a load of shit. Anything that is effective at doing damage with a kick, outside of kicks to the groin, is a legitimate technique. If your first statement is true, then most American men need to rethink what actually works. Leg kicks are a great technique in any mode of unarmed combat.

What a load of shit. Anything that is effective at doing damage with a kick, outside of kicks to the groin, is a legitimate technique. If your first statement is true, then most American men need to rethink what actually works. Leg kicks are a great technique in any mode of unarmed combat.

I have literally never seen a street fight (between males) in which one of the combatants utilized leg kicks. But I haven't seen a street fight in a long time.

Maybe millennial men are just vicious, kicky little buzzsaws. The standards of manliness may have passed me by.

Most fans get pretty into a solid low kick by Aldo or Barboza.

I'm more impressed and excited by one of their heavy low kicks than most punches. I think that's pretty common. It's blatantly obvious the immense damage they're causing.

Most leg kicks aren't that great, but neither are most punches or most high kicks. A solid low kick makes you go "oh shit, that musta hurt".

Like, you are failing miserably in your absurd anti-low kick vendetta.
I have literally never seen a street fight (between males) in which one of the combatants utilized leg kicks. But I haven't seen a street fight in a long time.

Maybe millennial men are just vicious, kicky little buzzsaws. The standards of manliness may have passed me by.
LOL get the fuck real, using low kicks makes Aldo or Barboza or Shogun less manly?? I can hardly believe you're serious.

People don't utilize low kicks in street fights because first of all, they wear shoes. If you're wearing a shoe, you do more damage hitting them with the shoe part than your shin.

Secondly these guys generally have no training and kicks require more skill than punches.

Thirdly they learn techniques mostly through media. Low kicks have never been a thing in movies.

That random dudes don't use low kicks makes perfect sense. When fighting skilled opponents without shoes though, they become very useful.

Wanting to outlaw effective legit techniques in MMA is dumb shit, plain and simple.

Uhm I mean a calf kick is targeting almost the exact same area they check with. It worked great last night because scrap pack doesn't believe in checking kicks. Otherwise it would take some really good timing since all your opponent has to do is turn his leg out slightly to meet the oncoming kick

If you throw kicks you're gonna hurt your foot/shin, it's inevitable

Less chance to get hurt if its a high kick in my opinion. Can you check a high kick to the head? What about an axe kick/heel drop to the face?

Back