C.B. Dollaway on Herb Dean’s controversial stoppage at UFC Moscow: ‘I don’t feel like I got protecte

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Speaking to MMA Fighting on Tuesday, nine days after UFC Moscow, Dollaway said that he was healthy and fortunate to suffer no lingering damage from the late stoppage, but he still couldn’t help but wonder what Dean was thinking

“I’ve been on the other side before, where I thought a fight got stopped too early for me. But, being on the other side now, it’s like — it’s a rough job being a ref, they want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time, you’re there to protect us, and I don’t know what was going on, but I don’t feel like I got protected,” Dollaway told MMA Fighting. “He didn’t stop the fight. Ever. Like, he was telling me to get on the stool and I didn’t even want to fight. Like, ‘Dude, I’m done.’ I was pretty out of it. I’m going to go out and take more punishment, that’s all that was going to basically happen at that point. I understand being a referee’s a tough job, we all make mistakes in life. It just sucks when it’s you.”

Dollaway, 35, is a longtime veteran of the UFC, having competed under the company’s umbrella for over a decade. He said the late stoppage was simply the culmination of a week at UFC Moscow that was “by far the weirdest” fight week he’s ever experienced, but it was Dean’s hesitance to stop the fight after the second round that stuck with Dollaway the most.

“He was telling me to get on the stool,” Dollaway said. “That’s kinda the part, I guess, I have a little trouble with. When a fighter says they’re done, especially — I don’t really have to say much, the MMA community saw it, you saw it, people saw what happened, and then you have me saying I’m done, and for him to be telling me to get up off the stool, I don’t know. Thank God I knew enough was enough, or it could’ve been even more serious.

“At the end of the day, I know the risks we go in there with, but it does make me question what you’re doing. Like, for the amount of money we’re getting paid — we’re not making millions of dollars. But it’s a sport that you love. Usually [Dean] is a good ref, from what I’ve seen. I haven’t watched every single one of his fights. I don’t know, I’ve heard complaints about him, [things] other people are saying. But I don’t know, it just sucks when it’s you. That’s your health. I have a five-year-old daughter. I want to be able to always know what’s going on and not be that out of it when I’m done with this career. It just is scary to know that, yeah, if there was two minutes left, what’s that look like then?

“Like, how far [does it go]? That’s the thing, they want to give you the benefit of the doubt, try to get you to the end of the round or the fighters a chance, but there’s a catch 22. He stops it too early, everyone dogs him for that. Stop it too late, everyone dogs him for that. So it’s just not an easy job, but that is your f*cking job. At the end of the day, that’s your job. You’re the one who took that job, and the same goes for me. I know what it is when I go in there. We’re not playing patty-cake. It’s a dangerous job and, yeah, unfortunately I got a pretty good taste of what it could be.”

Dollaway said he hasn’t spoken to Dean or a commission official since the controversial end to his fight and that Dean has not reached out to him.

“It’s a tough job. I understand it. You get criticism from both sides. Like I said, you stop it too early, you get criticized, you stop it too late. And I’ve had fights that I thought were stopped too early and protested, but the ref needs to say, ‘F*ck you, I’m here to protect you,’ basically. Like, ‘Shut up.’ But like I said, it’s a cold game that we play.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

“Like, how far [does it go]?
Not that it exculpates Dean's officiating, but it goes as far as your tapping, which you and/or your team could've done. The only reason to criticize only Herb and not his team is to not acknowledge the reality that there was honest and full power to limit the beating, and to not admit it lends to a man's pride.

The complete/honest answer is pride sailing away was more of a concern than brain damage. So say that and say Herb's officiating sucked, but not just the latter.

At least fart-face can't look any worse than he already did.

tenor.gif

Good honest view of things...Why hasn’t Dean made a statement...that’s a dick move..

If anyone else did that Dana would be blasting them immediately; but when Herb does it silence and then they reward him with the upcoming foty.

Yea, how dare a concussed and confused person not be in full control of their mental faculties. What a dickhead.

Mario YamaNoStoppie thinks this was an early stoppage

Pretty cool from Dolloway. He could trash Herb but he's holding back, just saying it sucks. Herb really shit the bed that night.
And for those asking why didn't he tap - that's not in a fighter's normal range of options. So when he's rocked, beaten up, concussed and not thinking clearly, that thought doesn't even come up in his mind as a thing to do. You can hold the corner responsible, or Herb - and I do - but Dolloway isn't to blame for being a warrior. Herb should have done his job, and I'm the kind of guy who prefers late stoppages to early

Homey is a local guy but I have a hard time with this. He was able to cover his face so he was able to tap. Herb's job isn't to protect him from himself if he's cognizant and physically able to tap, is it?

I'll admit the scenario look odd as hell and I haven't gone back to watch it yet.

Speaking to MMA Fighting on Tuesday, nine days after UFC Moscow, Dollaway said that he was healthy and fortunate to suffer no lingering damage from the late stoppage, but he still couldn’t help but wonder what Dean was thinking

“I’ve been on the other side before, where I thought a fight got stopped too early for me. But, being on the other side now, it’s like — it’s a rough job being a ref, they want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time, you’re there to protect us, and I don’t know what was going on, but I don’t feel like I got protected,” Dollaway told MMA Fighting. “He didn’t stop the fight. Ever. Like, he was telling me to get on the stool and I didn’t even want to fight. Like, ‘Dude, I’m done.’ I was pretty out of it. I’m going to go out and take more punishment, that’s all that was going to basically happen at that point. I understand being a referee’s a tough job, we all make mistakes in life. It just sucks when it’s you.”

Dollaway, 35, is a longtime veteran of the UFC, having competed under the company’s umbrella for over a decade. He said the late stoppage was simply the culmination of a week at UFC Moscow that was “by far the weirdest” fight week he’s ever experienced, but it was Dean’s hesitance to stop the fight after the second round that stuck with Dollaway the most.

“He was telling me to get on the stool,” Dollaway said. “That’s kinda the part, I guess, I have a little trouble with. When a fighter says they’re done, especially — I don’t really have to say much, the MMA community saw it, you saw it, people saw what happened, and then you have me saying I’m done, and for him to be telling me to get up off the stool, I don’t know. Thank God I knew enough was enough, or it could’ve been even more serious.

“At the end of the day, I know the risks we go in there with, but it does make me question what you’re doing. Like, for the amount of money we’re getting paid — we’re not making millions of dollars. But it’s a sport that you love. Usually [Dean] is a good ref, from what I’ve seen. I haven’t watched every single one of his fights. I don’t know, I’ve heard complaints about him, [things] other people are saying. But I don’t know, it just sucks when it’s you. That’s your health. I have a five-year-old daughter. I want to be able to always know what’s going on and not be that out of it when I’m done with this career. It just is scary to know that, yeah, if there was two minutes left, what’s that look like then?

“Like, how far [does it go]? That’s the thing, they want to give you the benefit of the doubt, try to get you to the end of the round or the fighters a chance, but there’s a catch 22. He stops it too early, everyone dogs him for that. Stop it too late, everyone dogs him for that. So it’s just not an easy job, but that is your f*cking job. At the end of the day, that’s your job. You’re the one who took that job, and the same goes for me. I know what it is when I go in there. We’re not playing patty-cake. It’s a dangerous job and, yeah, unfortunately I got a pretty good taste of what it could be.”

Dollaway said he hasn’t spoken to Dean or a commission official since the controversial end to his fight and that Dean has not reached out to him.

“It’s a tough job. I understand it. You get criticism from both sides. Like I said, you stop it too early, you get criticized, you stop it too late. And I’ve had fights that I thought were stopped too early and protested, but the ref needs to say, ‘F*ck you, I’m here to protect you,’ basically. Like, ‘Shut up.’ But like I said, it’s a cold game that we play.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

why is it when mazzagotti or yamasaki let a fight go on too long, Dana couldn't wait to publicly call them out for their terrible call...why hasn't dana come out about Deans call? I don't get it...dean has made some serious blunders, yet no word from dana...is it because dana at one time called him the best ref in the business, that he now feels stupid going back on that? I don't get it.

Herb Dean is one of the most overrated refs out there. I'm not sure why he's gone on for years with people listing him as if he is one of the best out there. He really isn't, and he has made some really bad calls.

Herb used to be known for stopping fights early. But this time it went on too late. I understand a fight being stopped 1 second too late, 2 seconds too late even 3 seconds too late. This was like 14 seconds too late. Lol.

People saying he should’ve tapped but then shit on anyone that ever taps to strikes. Someone else called him a coward? Dude was just laying there completely out of it and getting his face smashed in. I doubt he had any idea what was going on at the time. This was a bad stoppage or “non stoppage” and that’s all there is.

Back