C.B. Dollaway on Herb Dean’s controversial stoppage at UFC Moscow: ‘I don’t feel like I got protecte

He will at least take some blows when he does step in...

dgRRTUc.gif

Herb Dean is one of the most overrated refs out there. I'm not sure why he's gone on for years with people listing him as if he is one of the best out there. He really isn't, and he has made some really bad calls.

he's made some excellent ones though, like Tim Sylvia/Mir.

Yeah, I really feel there was something going on there more than an error in judgement. I don't know what it was, but nobody deviates THAT much from their normal execution. Whether Herb was trying to make a statement because he got accused of stopping a fight too quick or he really really didn't want C.B. to lose or he had a grudge against him, who knows, but something is screwed up with that situation.

CB Dollaway should've tapped if he felt like he was in grave danger. Right after the stoppage the fool got right back up. He clearly wasn't out.

People saying he should’ve tapped but then shit on anyone that ever taps to strikes. Someone else called him a coward? Dude was just laying there completely out of it and getting his face smashed in. I doubt he had any idea what was going on at the time. This was a bad stoppage or “non stoppage” and that’s all there is.

Sherdog is filled with idiots and armchair fighters. That's why real fighters like you hardly ever post.

MMA fans are embarrassing.

Speaking to MMA Fighting on Tuesday, nine days after UFC Moscow, Dollaway said that he was healthy and fortunate to suffer no lingering damage from the late stoppage, but he still couldn’t help but wonder what Dean was thinking

“I’ve been on the other side before, where I thought a fight got stopped too early for me. But, being on the other side now, it’s like — it’s a rough job being a ref, they want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time, you’re there to protect us, and I don’t know what was going on, but I don’t feel like I got protected,” Dollaway told MMA Fighting. “He didn’t stop the fight. Ever. Like, he was telling me to get on the stool and I didn’t even want to fight. Like, ‘Dude, I’m done.’ I was pretty out of it. I’m going to go out and take more punishment, that’s all that was going to basically happen at that point. I understand being a referee’s a tough job, we all make mistakes in life. It just sucks when it’s you.”

Dollaway, 35, is a longtime veteran of the UFC, having competed under the company’s umbrella for over a decade. He said the late stoppage was simply the culmination of a week at UFC Moscow that was “by far the weirdest” fight week he’s ever experienced, but it was Dean’s hesitance to stop the fight after the second round that stuck with Dollaway the most.

“He was telling me to get on the stool,” Dollaway said. “That’s kinda the part, I guess, I have a little trouble with. When a fighter says they’re done, especially — I don’t really have to say much, the MMA community saw it, you saw it, people saw what happened, and then you have me saying I’m done, and for him to be telling me to get up off the stool, I don’t know. Thank God I knew enough was enough, or it could’ve been even more serious.

“At the end of the day, I know the risks we go in there with, but it does make me question what you’re doing. Like, for the amount of money we’re getting paid — we’re not making millions of dollars. But it’s a sport that you love. Usually [Dean] is a good ref, from what I’ve seen. I haven’t watched every single one of his fights. I don’t know, I’ve heard complaints about him, [things] other people are saying. But I don’t know, it just sucks when it’s you. That’s your health. I have a five-year-old daughter. I want to be able to always know what’s going on and not be that out of it when I’m done with this career. It just is scary to know that, yeah, if there was two minutes left, what’s that look like then?

“Like, how far [does it go]? That’s the thing, they want to give you the benefit of the doubt, try to get you to the end of the round or the fighters a chance, but there’s a catch 22. He stops it too early, everyone dogs him for that. Stop it too late, everyone dogs him for that. So it’s just not an easy job, but that is your f*cking job. At the end of the day, that’s your job. You’re the one who took that job, and the same goes for me. I know what it is when I go in there. We’re not playing patty-cake. It’s a dangerous job and, yeah, unfortunately I got a pretty good taste of what it could be.”

Dollaway said he hasn’t spoken to Dean or a commission official since the controversial end to his fight and that Dean has not reached out to him.

“It’s a tough job. I understand it. You get criticism from both sides. Like I said, you stop it too early, you get criticized, you stop it too late. And I’ve had fights that I thought were stopped too early and protested, but the ref needs to say, ‘F*ck you, I’m here to protect you,’ basically. Like, ‘Shut up.’ But like I said, it’s a cold game that we play.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Didn't read the entire thing but that probably is the worst call in MMA history if not one of them. Historically Herb has been top of the reffs but he just diminished a lot of that with this one fight. I know people say give him a break he get's it right almost always but that one wasn't even questionable.

Okay Steve Mazagatti is the worse but Herb might have had the worst stoppage. CB was taking damage for a minute then literally rolled to his stomach and flattened HIMSELF out to nonverbally give Herb the heads up. To make it worse even after he almost seemed to try to throw CB's dead corps on the stool and make him go the next round when CB wanted none of it.

Lmao he basically did everything he could to let herb know he wanted the fight stopped other than verbally saying it or tapping

CB Dollaway should've tapped if felt like he was in grave danger. Right after the stoppage the fool got right back up. He clearly wasn't out.
I almost agree but that's looked down upon and fighters are "too tough for their own good" as they say which is why the ref is there. CB gave plenty of nonverbal "taps" such as flattening himself on his stomach for 30 seconds. He basically was trying to tap without the stigma of tapping to strikes.

Weird to hear a fighter say that.
Unfortunately, my first though was that hes done and wants to sue.

I almost agree but that's looked down upon and fighters are "too tough for their own good" as they say which is why the ref is there. CB gave plenty of nonverbal "taps" such as flattening himself on his stomach for 30 seconds. He basically was trying to tap without the stigma of tapping to strikes.

I agree with you. Herb Dean should've stopped it nevertheless. I just feel like CB is trying to put all the blame on Herb while acting like he had no ability to tap. He clearly could've tapped

While I agree Dean should have stopped it, much better fighters have tapped to strikes. We know who they are. Theres culpability on all sides here, as much of the refs get shit, CB wasnt out and if it was that bad, he does have that option, too, like Dean, to stop the fight.

I agree with you. Herb Dean should've stopped it nevertheless. I just feel like CB is trying to put all the blame on Herb while acting like he had no ability to tap. He clearly could've tapped
True but from an outsider I blame Herb 100% but if I was CB I probably wouldn't voice that but maybe he wasn't with it enough to really understand so who knows. The worst part for me was when Herb was strangely trying to get CB to continue when he wasn't even moving after the bell. Kept asking him if he wants to continue as he's half with it looking half dead. Like dude how clueless are you

While I agree Dean should have stopped it, much better fighters have tapped to strikes. We know who they are. Theres culpability on all sides here, as much of the refs get shit, CB wasnt out and if it was that bad, he does have that option, too, like Dean, to stop the fight.
I think CB not even keeping his base and going belly down is pretty obvious. 99.9% of the time if a fighter is rocked and just turtleing up and "Not intelligently defending themselves" it's the refs job to stop it not the fighter. CB did that and took his base away. All on Herb IMO

Lol You keyboard warriors calling Dolloway a "bitch" and saying "he should've just tapped" are morons.

It is the fighters job to fight, and the referee's job to ref--and part of reffing is ending fights and protecting fighters. There is ZERO defense for Herb's horrible ref job in that fight.

The reason why there's a ref and why corners can throw in the towel is because a fighter can't be trusted to know when to stop. When you are exhausted, getting your face punched in, are on an adrenaline high from fighting on TV in front of a crowd, you don't trust that person to make sound, rational choices. That is the entire purpose of having the ref there.

That's legit terrifying

Anyone in the world can see how fucked this is and he's suppose to be a professional

How could anyone watch that and not stop it - you have to be some kind of demon

wtf

it took cb this long to be able to speak after that beatdown.

Herb Dean is one of the most overrated refs out there. I'm not sure why he's gone on for years with people listing him as if he is one of the best out there. He really isn't, and he has made some really bad calls.

I feel like in the past several years his reputation as a ref has been diminished. I'd date the slow decline of his reputation from about 2014, when a lot of people complained about his early stoppage of Barao-Faber and McMann-Rousey. Now I think many fans would consider him at best an inconsistent ref. The UFC treats him like a unflappable veteran, but I think a poll around here would have him rated among the worst of the refs.

I think CB not even keeping his base and going belly down is pretty obvious. 99.9% of the time if a fighter is rocked and just turtleing up and "Not intelligently defending themselves" it's the refs job to stop it not the fighter. CB did that and took his base away. All on Herb IMO
I agree with all of that except the last sentence, but that shouldn't be a surprise.

Then tap out...?

Valid point during the beating but maybe his inclination was to protect his head? Still, when you say you're done that's verbally tapping out. There's no excuse for Dean to tell him to get off the stool after he said that.

Back