"Bulletproof" Coffee

DrHouse

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Anyone tried it? Thinking of giving it a go. Rogan talks about it a lot and I've been having a look online, a lot of people really seem to like it. For anyone that doesn't know what it is, it's basically:

Coffee (Dave Asprey sells "upgraded" coffee beans)
Butter (from grass-fed cows)
MCT Oil (apparently coconut oil works, just not as well)

Apparently you don't swap this for your morning coffee, you swap it for your entire breakfast and it keeps you going for a long time. Now the butter and the oil are OK, MCT oil can be a little pricey but I've found it online for basically dirt-cheap.

My question about the beans, does using the Upgraded beans make a huge difference? Is it worth the extra money? I mean I wouldn't go and just use instant coffee like an idiot, but a good high quality bean. I'm sure the upgraded ones taste better, but do they really make the bulletproof coffee more "bulletproof".

A lot of youtube videos are of high performance athletes making this stuff, is it sort of overkill for a university student who just wants to be mentally focused for longer? I was looking at Kale smoothies too, but I feel like I'd need the caffeine for a mental kick anyway.

Edit: Also I'm not sure about where I put this, I feel like this may be in the wrong place. If it is and a mod sees, I would appreciate it being moved. Also if this topic has been done before, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

Anyone tried it? Thinking of giving it a go. Rogan talks about it a lot and I've been having a look online, a lot of people really seem to like it. For anyone that doesn't know what it is, it's basically:

Coffee (Dave Asprey sells "upgraded" coffee beans)
Butter (from grass-fed cows)
MCT Oil (apparently coconut oil works, just not as well)

Apparently you don't swap this for your morning coffee, you swap it for your entire breakfast and it keeps you going for a long time. Now the butter and the oil are OK, MCT oil can be a little pricey but I've found it online for basically dirt-cheap.

My question about the beans, does using the Upgraded beans make a huge difference? Is it worth the extra money? I mean I wouldn't go and just use instant coffee like an idiot, but a good high quality bean. I'm sure the upgraded ones taste better, but do they really make the bulletproof coffee more "bulletproof".

A lot of youtube videos are of high performance athletes making this stuff, is it sort of overkill for a university student who just wants to be mentally focused for longer? I was looking at Kale smoothies too, but I feel like I'd need the caffeine for a mental kick anyway.

Edit: Also I'm not sure about where I put this, I feel like this may be in the wrong place. If it is and a mod sees, I would appreciate it being moved. Also if this topic has been done before, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

Coconut oil is just fine. Dont buy any of his over hyped over priced shit. You could use coconut oil, regular butter, and regular coffee and you would be fine.

I remembered we visited a remote deer-herder's outpost in my region in winter. The natives would add seal fat to tea boil until liquid and just gobble it down. Keeps them warm and gives energy, so there might be some truth to what you say.

But I doubt buying all that fancy stuff is really worth it - like above said already - Coconut oil is just fine to drink with coffee, tastes pretty good. I am going to try it with green tea tomorrow.

I tried it a few times. To me it had no different effects than regular coffee.
It does taste a little greasy or slippery.

To mix thoroughly I put everything into the single serve mixing cup for my ninja - that worked well. If you do not do that you will have an oil slick on top.

Coconut oil is just fine. Dont buy any of his over hyped over priced shit. You could use coconut oil, regular butter, and regular coffee and you would be fine.

Yeah I was gonna just use Coconut oil, then I found some really cheap MCT stuff. I mean coconut oil is supposedly 60% MCT, so using twice the amount of coconut oil would give the same value of MCT.

The butter is pretty cheap, not much more than regular butter if at all. It was just the coffee that I was hesitant about, because it's so damn expensive compared to high quality organic beans. If the only real difference is a little better taste, I couldn't care less when I'd have to spend 4-5 times as much on the beans.

So I just went and found this:

[YT]rwY4H3cNTH0[/YT]

I am in no way gonna buy into this "upgraded" coffee crap, I will give the bulletproof coffee a go though. Just regular organic coffee beans, some butter and the cheap MCT oil.

Its nothing special but it is tasty. Its just caffeine and fat, really, that people feel the energy from.

I often start my day with coffee and peanut butter. Same effects.

Theres no bullshit miracles like cf nazis and the assclown bulletproof guy will have you believe.

I just put coconut oil in mine.

I also blend in a half scoop of chocolate protein powder and a little cinnamon - it's absolutely delicious; however, it really doesn't produce a whole lot different effect than plain coffee by itself. I've tried it as prescribed (sans protein & cinnamon) with a handful of different single-source bean varieties using a French press, and none was really any different than with a regular old K-cup. If you're on the fence, it's definitely worth trying.

One very important caveat: if you're not used to eating that much oil/fat in one sitting, be forewarned that it will rocket out of your ass about 15 minutes later. So stick close to a bathroom the first couple of times you try it and/or only use about 1/4 to 1/2 of the prescribed oil & butter and slowly work your way up to the full amount.

To anyone giving that a shot, do NOT use salted butter.

Seems like a good way to ruin a nice cup of coffee. Why bother mixing them rather than taking a spoon of oil and then washing it down with a cuppa?

It's bit like those rather tortured efforts to combine protein powder with oatmeal, muffins and omelettes. Always ruins them and has no benefit over eating them separately.

I am sure that a higher quality bean would be better, but I don't understand why regular coffee wouldn't suffice.

Why is instant coffee so bad? Half of the coffee I drink is instant. I know it is bad for women b/c of issues w/ iron

Its nothing special but it is tasty. Its just caffeine and fat, really, that people feel the energy from.

I often start my day with coffee and peanut butter. Same effects.

It's basically just this. And personally, a spoonful of peanut butter before or after black coffee sounds like it tastes a hell of a lot better than oily coffee

Why not? I'm genuinely curious.

Its absolutely disgusting with salted butter.

But I really prefer a tablespoon of peanutbutter with a cup of coffee if Im looking for a pick me up.

I listend to this dude on joe's podcast.

He said Europeans are actually sampling their coffee to see if it has no mycotoxins in while he is just saying he has a method to reduce the levels with no objectivity behind it.

So why not buy coffee from Europe instead of him.

Hahahaha. Sounds like we've reached a consensus. Unsalted butter it is!

Back