Bulding an old school arcade machine

I think I'd rather have a pinball machine than a video game cabinet taking up space. They are both cumbersome, but the pinball would likely get more use long-term? But maybe it would wind up like a pool table, covered in laundry, lol.

I was born in the early 70's and used to go to arcades all the time. They used to be everywhere until the mid 80's when they started to die off, slowly. I think maybe early 90's was about the end of them. Original Nintendo was the beginning of the end for arcades.

The virtual pinball machines are the same concept. They're digital, but you can have every table ever if you want.

maxresdefault.jpg

UltraWidebodyTZ1.jpg

JKAqElG.jpg

Damn, I remember loving arcades as a kid. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk had so many in their arcade.

Even the old pizza parlors had a decent selection of games.

I went to a few of these when I was in NYC a couple years ago. Good craft beer selection and old-school arcades is where it's at.

Yeah, I used to work a few blocks from the Chelsea one and went to the grand opening.

Lol... Like there is some huge difference. There are American an Japanese style joysticks and buttons, but you are still getting the same experience with a multicade. The atmosphere of a retro arcade establishment would be the only thing that is different.

There is a huge difference. I am not sure if the game play is exact or not, but the cabinet art and the layout of the buttons and etc.
Of course if you didn't grow up playing in a real arcade this means nothing to you. But say if I am playing Defender at Barcade. I am not playing Defender at Barcade. I am playing Defender at a dark smoke filled arcade in 1983 in my hometown that does not exist anymore.
It is not a physical object. It is a story involving me and a Defender arcade game.

NOT THE SAME EXPERIENCE AT ALL. Maybe the gameplay and physics (ha, yeah physics did not exist in the 1980s) are the same but that is superficial.

If you're ever in NH you should hit up Funspot, largest arcade in the world.

Oh wow, I didn’t know that. I’ve heard of this place. Is this the one in King of Kong where Billy sends the mystery high score tape?

EDIT: Just looked it up, this place looks cool.

983681f00ef28d71904ccc909da70c5f.jpg

And there’s a lot of great breweries up that way. Might be worth a trip.

Last edited:
Yeah, I used to work a few blocks from the Chelsea one and went to the grand opening.

There is a huge difference. I am not sure if the game play is exact or not, but the cabinet art and the layout of the buttons and etc.
Of course if you didn't grow up playing in a real arcade this means nothing to you. But say if I am playing Defender at Barcade. I am not playing Defender at Barcade. I am playing Defender at a dark smoke filled arcade in 1983 in my hometown that does not exist anymore.
It is not a physical object. It is a story involving me and a Defender arcade game.

NOT THE SAME EXPERIENCE AT ALL. Maybe the gameplay and physics (ha, yeah physics did not exist in the 1980s) are the same but that is superficial.

This is pretty much what I said. I was born in 1980 and grew up with the arcade experience as there were a few in my town. My Mom even owned a corner store that had 3 machines in it. Of coarse I'm not going to get the experience of the arcade I did as a kid. I'm 38 years old; but one of those little multicades goes good in my man cave next to my television, Xbox, and all of my music gear. Drums, Guitars, 2000 watt PA, amps, Keyboard, etc...

Don't get me wrong a barcade would be sweet, but there isn't one of those anywhere near where I live. I've borrowed a couple of the ones that are in the OP a couple of times and have one at home right now that I'm probably going to buy. I entertain company quite a bit over here and it always goes over great. Of coarse it's not exactly the same, but it is still fun and can scratch the itch for the old school arcade nostalgia.

I think I'd rather have a pinball machine than a video game cabinet taking up space. They are both cumbersome, but the pinball would likely get more use long-term? But maybe it would wind up like a pool table, covered in laundry, lol.

I was born in the early 70's and used to go to arcades all the time. They used to be everywhere until the mid 80's when they started to die off, slowly. I think maybe early 90's was about the end of them. Original Nintendo was the beginning of the end for arcades.

I got a bunch of pinball machines. They are crazy expensive at least the ones with displays and that is why at pinball convention most of the guys are over 50. They tend to hold their value or appreciate ,williams nachines mostly, so the true cost is money you saved playing at home minus money you could have made investing in something.

Collecting is odd because you hold on to stuff that you don't play much but you know you'll have problems finding again. It might be cheaper for me just to have one pinball and rotate a lot.

Here is one that I would like because it is hard to find but a blast for a 10 minutes. You move either side of a rod up and down to try to get a ball bearing into a specific hole. They now go for 1k+ so it is more than i can justify but it is fun.

ice-cold-beer-front-glass.jpg

I got a bunch of pinball machines. They are crazy expensive at least the ones with displays and that is why at pinball convention most of the guys are over 50. They tend to hold their value or appreciate ,williams nachines mostly, so the true cost is money you saved playing at home minus money you could have made investing in something.

Collecting is odd because you hold on to stuff that you don't play much but you know you'll have problems finding again. It might be cheaper for me just to have one pinball and rotate a lot.

Here is one that I would like because it is hard to find but a blast for a 10 minutes. You move either side of a rod up and down to try to get a ball bearing into a specific hole. They now go for 1k+ so it is more than i can justify but it is fun.

ice-cold-beer-front-glass.jpg

Pinball is GOAT. Pinball is real. Physics bless.

Back