Bukauskas on his dad reigning the illegal fight scene in 80's Soviet Union

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Lithuanian-born Brit has been accompanied by father Gintas for all of his professional fights, and the martial arts expert used to compete in illegal no-holds-barred competitions before
the Soviet Union collapse in 1991.

"He was the Soviet Union no-holds-barred heavyweight champion back in his heyday, I don't know a lot of them were sanctioned... From what I've seen in tapes, they used to wear the gi but it
was like MMA. Their gloves looked like plastic bags and if the fight was a draw they'd have to break a certain amount of bricks to win."

"In one of my dad's fights, his opponent said he was going to break four bricks but broke two. My dad ended up breaking three bricks and he got to the final, but obviously, he's just broken a brick
with his hand and it's all swollen. It was very violent, and those were the early stages of MMA before it went mainstream, really cool times with different rules."

1_Screenshot-2023-11-03-at-131142.png

Bukauskas put the Cage Warriors light-heavyweight belt around his father's shoulder when he first won the title in 2019 and he is hoping to re-create the moment by eventually capturing a UFC world title.

"He retired just when the UFC came around, that's when he stopped fighting. He was a tough motherfucker and still is, that's why he's bringing out such heaps of knowledge. This is why we're able to
adapt and overcome a lot of situations. He knows what I'm capable of and he is one of my biggest believers,"

"When times were looking tough he always told me how talented I am and the things I can do. It pushes me to believe in myself even more and that's what brings out my best performances, having him is like having an angel on my shoulders."

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/modestas-bukauskas-ufc-fight-news-31349568

He looks like the Paul's older cousin

What a badass! My dad was in some underground shit! I have a vhs of him fighting twice in one night(won by ko standing elbow, loss by belly down arm bar on some slick shit) he grew up out in Reseda, California. John Hackleman also punched my dad in the face before! I have an 5 year old thread about it

What a badass! My dad was in some underground shit! I have a vhs of him fighting twice in one night(won by ko standing elbow, loss by belly down arm bar on some slick shit) he grew up out in Reseda, California. John Hackleman also punched my dad in the face before! I have an 5 year old thread about it
Underground fight scene in the San Fernando valley was a big thing back in the day. I had my first 5 fights in non sanctioned fights out there back in the day. Good times.

And here I was thinking the stupidest possible thing in MMA that related to brick-breaking was the "no 12-6 elbows" rule.

used to happen in parks a lot around here.
actual black belts fighting for cartons of eggs and shit like that.
had an uncle who i knew was in the underworld, and was a big, burly guy, used to come home from time to time with bruises all over, and with bags of chocolates and fruit for us kids. nobody asked questions but the rumor always was it was from fighting.
eastern euro in the 80s was brutal times.
he's dead now.

Underground fight scene in the San Fernando valley was a big thing back in the day. I had my first 5 fights in non sanctioned fights out there back in the day. Good times.

Lolol sure buddy. This forum never gets stale.

"He was the Soviet Union no-holds-barred heavyweight champion back in his heyday, I don't know a lot of them were sanctioned... From what I've seen in tapes, they used to wear the gi but it
was like MMA. Their gloves looked like plastic bags and if the fight was a draw they'd have to break a certain amount of bricks to win."

I guess he saw tapes of his dad playing Mortal Kombat 1 and thought it was real.

tumblr_m83m80pdvR1ro8ysbo1_400.gif

I use to work with a guy who did underground mma in europe. Albanian guy, fought all over. They would have underground fights in most countries and was on the circuit. Interesting stories.

Why do I want to suddenly see a Strongman competition but you have to fight 3 rounds before it starts after reading this thread?

You ever notice tapology doesn't have most of the rumble in the ancient city fights in their log?

Back