Boxing vs MMA

dfoster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Remember when Mayweather said MMA is for guys who couldn't make it into boxing? It looks like he was on to something. Stipe went on to become an MMA champ after being defeated in a Golden Gloves tournament and still wanted to prove himself against Klitskho. Conor, an MMA champ wanted to prove himself against a former boxing champ and got his butt kicked. And now Ngannou, the scariest guy in MMA going for the title but all he ever wanted to do was boxing. MMA was his second choice. Looks like even MMA fighters think boxing is more prestigious?

I think if a guy like Stipe could be a mid-tier athlete in a real sports league like the NFL instead of an MMA world champion, he would in a heartbeat.

I think if a guy like Stipe could be a mid-tier athlete in a real sports league like the NFL instead of an MMA world champion, he would in a heartbeat.
MMA is a real sports league (I just made a thread about this) I promise 95% of nfl players would not be able to take a single kick to the face and not cry like Bob Sapp.

Remember when Mayweather said MMA is for guys who couldn't make it into boxing? It looks like he was on to something. Stipe went on to become an MMA champ after being defeated in a Golden Gloves tournament and still wanted to prove himself against Klitskho. Conor, an MMA champ wanted to prove himself against a former boxing champ and got his butt kicked. And now Ngannou, the scariest guy in MMA going for the title but all he ever wanted to do was boxing. MMA was his second choice. Looks like even MMA fighters think boxing is more prestigious?
They do agree it's more "prestigious" but that's just because of the history, and more so for the money. We all know there isn't a single boxer who could seamlessly come to MMA and win a title.

MMA is a real sports league (I just made a thread about this) I promise 95% of nfl players would not be able to take a single kick to the face and not cry like Bob Sapp.

I agree that athletes with zero combat sports experience would probably not react well to a striking technique that often results in knockouts of experienced fighters, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

That national golden gloves was a hell of a year...cam awesome, Bryant jennings, stipe

Stipe lost to Bryant and Bryant lost to cam

Bryant of course has the better pro career (challenging klitschko for the titles)

Maybe stipe think of missed opportunities when he see's jennings competing as a pro

He's already excelled at the highest echelon of MMA...maybe he wants to challenge himself

How can you say that? Ronda use to drop pro boxers on the reg{<RR}

Last edited:
I agree that athletes with zero combat sports experience would probably not react well to a striking technique that often results in knockouts of experienced fighters, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

So you think that 300 lb men that run into 300 lb in full speed collisions every day are afraid to get hit?

Tony Gonzales' first love was basketball doesn't mean it's more prestigious or a better sport than football. Not every athlete is best at the sport they enjoy most

So you think that 300 lb men that run into 300 lb in full speed collisions every day are afraid to get hit?

Probably not afraid. Would they know how to react? Probably not.

Whatevs.

The main point I was making to the other guy is that it doesn't really have shit to do with my original post anyway.

I think its moreso that MMA doesn't tend to get as many guys with high level boxing potential switching across(maybe Sergei back in the day?) because boxing at the highest level pays better. Most of the elite MMA talent comes from other sporting backgrounds like Wrestling, Kickboxing, BJJ, Judo, etc.

Who would on purpose put himself into a fight to the death? No fucking NFL or NBA players. Soccer? Those guys act like they died if they get brushed. The NHL and Boxers are the closest to actually fighting for pay. But if you want to compare boxing to MMA. MMA is a lot tougher and dirtier. Picture the rise as a boxing star as a slide. Now picture the rise of an MMA star as a slide fillled with broken glass and used razor blades. Boxers are tough, but far from mma tough.

Remember when Dana said UFC would overtake boxing because he would make the best fight the best unlike crooked boxing promoters?

That national golden gloves was a hell of a year...cam awesome, Bryant jennings, stipe

Stipe lost to Bryant and Bryant lost to cam

Bryant of course has the better pro career (challenging klitschko for the titles)

Maybe stipe think of missed opportunities when he see's jennings competing as a pro

He's already excelled at the highest echelon of MMA...maybe he wants to challenge himself

And whatever happened to Cam Awesome that dude was wild, then he got busted by USADA for hiding like Wanderlei style lol

Sad he never turned pro dude is a real character, but I think he is just focusing too much on his gimmick like changing his name to Cam F Awesome, only way he can click is if he has the skills in the pros to back his wild persona, Dana White should sign him

Im shocked Stipe even got that far its pretty hard to get to that level as a heavyweight because they drop bombs on you in the ammys its not like the lighter weights where its all about speed and in and out points.

Well,that is a major factor with being successful in mma lol.

MMA > Boxing. We saw that when Conor almost beat Mayweather. Conor was winning the first rounds when both were at their best, but unfortunately he started gassing and Mayweather took over on his way to a controversial stoppage. I know Conor is the GOAT of mma, so he isn't representative of all of mma - but still, he was fighting the GOAT of boxing.

The divide in boxing ability isn't nearly as great as some make it that's for sure, they basically ignore that the smaller gloves and range of attacks/grappling in MMA can give rise to exchanges that look less slick.

A boxer will most likely beat an MMA guy in boxing and an MMA guy will most likely beat a boxer in MMA. There’s nothing wrong with that. People saying otherwise are either wrong or just trying to hype things between the two sports. Which there’s nothing wrong with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back