Boxing vs MMA

I'm a big fan of both sports to be honest. I don't understand all of the insecure rants about it.

Boxing is light years away from fighting.
Is that why almost every street fight you see they are trading punches? MMA unified rules is light years away as well. Here let me make sure I don't hit in the back of the head or hit a downed opponent etc. Just enjoy the sports for what they are.

Is that why almost every street fight you see they are trading punches?
You've been watching too many low-level fights.

MMA unified rules is light years away as well. Here let me make sure I don't hit in the back of the head or hit a downed opponent etc. Just enjoy the sports for what they are.
By your logic, arm wrestling is on par with boxing in terms of fighting.

You've been watching too many low-level fights.

By your logic, arm wrestling is on par with boxing in terms of fighting.
Boxing is full contact where they punch the shit out of each other. Still a fight, just under a very strict rule set. MMA much less so but still enough to not be realistic. Arm wrestling doesn't invovle any Knock outs. Yes Its usually bars where i've seen most fights and there isn't room to throw spinning back kicks or where you can afford to have a beer bottle busted over your head when you take mount.

I hate the comparisons. I've been boxing for a long time and yes, MMA fighters would rarely ever beat pro boxers in a boxing match. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. MMA fighters are a jack of all trades, master of none (usually)

There something to be said for being proficient in many different fighting techniques instead of being really good at just one. I've sparred with MMA fighters before and their boxing technique is usually not so great. But they're MMA fighters, their boxing doesn't have to be as good a pro boxer's.

It's two different sports and I wish people would leave it at that.

Boxing is full contact where they punch the shit out of each other. Still a fight, just under a very strict rule set. MMA much less so but still enough to not be realistic. Arm wrestling doesn't invovle any Knock outs. Yes Its usually bars where i've seen most fights and there isn't room to throw spinning back kicks or where you can afford to have a beer bottle busted over your head when you take mount.
Goes to show how far boxing is from fighting.

You are allowed to watch both.

MMA doesn't have the history boxing does, it's only recently become something that pre-teens can start training like they could do boxing. We'll start to see lifetime MMA athletes come up in the next 10 years.

I love me some boxing. But it's hard not to think that against someone who can wrestle, a lot of the best boxers would struggle.

And after UFC overtook boxing it would then take over soccer?
Wow did they have their heads up there asses lol. I mean yeah UFC was all the rage for several years back around 06'-10' but to claim it would overtake the popularity on a worldwide level for soccer, they all must have been doing tons of blow to say shit like that on TV.

Clueless post.

It’s as much a part of fighting as wrestling it’s a far more natural fight response than bjj.

All fights start standing.

Distance and timing a key aspects of a fight. And are the corner stone of a good boxer.

You want to be at a distance when you’re fighting a complete stranger. Good luck rolling with someone without knowing what they have on them.

You can be a fan of both. These insecure UFC posters are funny though.

Boxing > MMA.

Deontay Wilder vs Anthony Joshua will outdo everything MMA has ever done.

Lucas Browne 25-0, world champion at boxing had a pathetic 5-2 career at MMA, period.

So is MMA. For humans fighting has been about weapons for 200,000 years. Unarmed we're tiger kibble - we became a dominant predator because of weapons. Think about it - in both MMA and boxing there are rules not allowing weapons (or even doctored gloves), because they make such a huge difference for us.

The question is which is a better sport, and that's subjective. Myself I prefer MMA, but I understand why some people prefer boxing. But ask anyone who's ever served in a uniform, unarmed fighting is a sport; real fighting is with weapons.

Clueless post.

It’s as much a part of fighting as wrestling it’s a far more natural fight response than bjj.

All fights start standing.

Distance and timing a key aspects of a fight. And are the corner stone of a good boxer.

You want to be at a distance when you’re fighting a complete stranger. Good luck rolling with someone without knowing what they have on them.

You can be a fan of both. These insecure UFC posters are funny though.

Yeah being at a distance aka wonderboy would destroy any pro boxer.

In a real fight...You don't roll with someone unless you're getting your ass beat and it's a last resort.

if boxing got rid of the ovesized HUGE snow gloves it might be interesting. no one wants to see people blocking punches with them and people hiding behind them aka philly gay. It's a dumb sport

While boxing is bigger at the moment mma has a good chance of overtaking it in the next few generations because the competitive nature of pitting multiple disciplines against one another is producing better and better martial artists. Boxing is so popular worldwide that you have top guys who can make a living, a good living, never fighting the best, like Zsolt Erdai he was the lineal light heavy champ and he never left his home country and was not in the objective top four or five during his reign. You can't do that in mma as far as I know.

Tony Gonzales' first love was basketball doesn't mean it's more prestigious or a better sport than football. Not every athlete is best at the sport they enjoy most
Michael Jordan couldn’t play baseball either.

MMA is a great sport with big opportunities but let's be real, it is still a fall back sport for athletes. There are so much more competition in other sports and the pay potential for them is much, much bigger.

Yes, this is true. I'm a huge Conor fan but it bothers me to know that he only ended up in MMA because he couldn't hack it in boxing. Even worse, he only fell into boxing because he couldn't hack it in football, so he's a C-level athlete by definition.

Back