"Boxing is very underated in MMA and Muay Thai is a little overrated." - Jeff Joslin

Ill admit Hendo landed some of them but the part after they break from the fence in round 2 right before Hendo gets rocked is what I'm talking about.

Another thing, everyone says Dan abandoned his game plan and is dumb for trying to stand with Silva, I guess they forgot the part where he tries to take him down, fails, then presses him up against the cage and tries again to take him down but still fails.

Anyone who disagrees with the original post has never spent a week in a real boxing gym. I used to think MT > Boxing because...well thats what everyone believes. 2 months into my new boxing gym I have punching power that I never dreamed of.

As someone who made the move to boxing after 2 1/2 years of kickboxing/Muay Thai
I gotta say I still love MT and respect it's fighters and techniques to the utmost.

It's certainly not that overrated when you consider many successful fighters use
Muay Thai-based techniques in MMA.

Man, sometimes the internet just isn't worth it. You guys would be better off if you argue less on a message board and actually train.

Muay Thai works, Boxing works. That's all that needs to be said. Heck, Kicboxing works, Karate works. A good punch is a good punch and a good kick is a good kick. If it connects and hurts, then it works. A good punch can put someone down, a good kick can put someone down. A left hook to the jaw is effective. A turning kick to the ribs is definitley effective. There is only so much a style can give somebody. The rest is up to the person.

Problem with boxing IMO is it's just your 2 fists as weapons, sure you can defend MT attacks but your range of attacks is then limeted.

Problem with MT IMO is that traditionally they don't teach circeling, head movemnt ect they just teach stalking. Find a good Muay Thai gym that has evolved Muay Thai and credible teachers with good crodentials and take some extra time to work on your hands too then you have a mighty combonation.

The other problem is outside of Thailand and Holland it's hard to find a good place. I have fared well and learn a combo of sanshou and MT, I also take an extra 2 hours a weeks just for my hands. I'm primaraly and outside fighter and it works for me. It depends on your style and the fighter not the martial art.

But in terms of a pure stand up match up MT winds hands down.

traditional MT stance dont create much power in hands, boxing stance do.

Disagree with Anderson mastering the combination of both. Ive seen him do very good with both muay thai and boxing, never seen him really merge the two.

Someone liek Tyrone Spong I would say merge both

I meant for MMA at least. Let's not compare Anderson to spong lol. :redface:

You can modify the traditional tall/high guard MT stance to something more kickboxing-like without much trouble, the only problem would be that it would limit your ability to defend a good clinch grappler in a straight MT match, you would get kneed to hell basically, you would also catch some nasty elbows to your temple area with your hands lower like a boxer/kickboxer. But the stance change would enhance your lateral movement and punch combinations, you could really dig in on the body shots like K-1 guys do.

Every combat sport/art has a reason for doing what they do...

That's why i wonder why some local gyms fight so Muay Thai like when for example they know that they are in a kickboxing or k-1 rules match and wonder why they are getting pounded with punches and unorthodox kicks, you can't clinch/knee or elbow buddy!

Same thing vice versa with the kickboxing gyms that agree to do Muay Thai rules, they get smashed, but that mostly has to do with lack of knowledge.

Adapt your style to the rules!

Either way, a good striker should be able to modify their stance/approach to the situation as a fight goes on, basically go wherever the fight takes him. That's the mark of a good adaptable creative fighter. Guys who fight like "robots" are unable to do this. See Diego vs BJ. It's like learning how to play the piano the classical way with all the basic rules and stuff, then when you get good enough you break some of the rules and start freestyle jammin.

A good example is Thai fighters, they learn to use both orthodox and southpaw stances, (which is a bit of a no-no in conventional boxing for its own reasons), they of course have their regular dominant stance, but the reasoning is in the event they can't use one side of their body, say their arm/shoulder/leg/shin is battered or unusable, they can switch stances and still throw with power if need be.

EDIT: I take that boxing thing back, i'm sure boxers also learn how to use both stances to some extent as well, at least momentarily.

What i've been taught in both arts is that switching back and forth between the stances without a purpose is something you shouldn't do as a beginner, especially in a fight, unless you are 100% confident in your abilities of not getting KOed (lol). Even then, it's ideal to stick with one stance, though it wouldn't hurt to practice a some things off your other stance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obrad
Back