"Boxing is very underated in MMA and Muay Thai is a little overrated." - Jeff Joslin

actually.... frank mir and kenflo credit their boxing to the most recent wins. watch the guida kenflo fight.... this is after he got boxed by bj penn and you hear him in the post fight interview credit he new found boxing skills....

same with mir. watch all his recent interviews.... BOXING!! he called the punch he landed on kongo the "pacquiao punch"

had to quote myself..... BOXING BABY! get right.... OR GET LEFT!!!

Mir likes Boxing, except the part about getting hit.

sinister what'd you think of Kenny's performance tonight? What did he do well and what did he do poorly?

This is complete horseshit. Boxers fight to win by knockout. Muay Thai fighters fight to win by knockout. I don't know what it's like in your part of the world but here in Sydney, that's how it is. I've visited a couple of muay this gyms. Their fighting is brutal and you put your opponant down any way you can. This is coming froma a guy who's striking base is Kyokushin with boxing.

Thailand man, Thailand. Watch fights from there, they don't go aggressively for the KO until the last couple rounds(sometimes not even then), if they're down on the scorecards, then they go all out and try to put away their opponent. Of course they'd like a KO, but it's not their main focus, plus the bettors like long fights so it has alot to do with the matchmaking.

Please read between the lines next time instead of attacking me.

MMA Live: 4-1-10 - ESPN Video - ESPN

Another fighters opinion. This time from Kenny Florian. He basically says, that a more boxing/punching oriented repertoire, mixed with kicks, is more conducive to MMA, as opposed to a heavily kick oriented style, which he used, up until the BJ Penn fight.

Gotta give it to Florian. He is always reexamining his game(i wish more mma fighters would do the same).

Last edited:
sinister what'd you think of Kenny's performance tonight? What did he do well and what did he do poorly?

Kenny lowered his stance very well. He wasn't up on his toes over-much, which I felt he used to be. He also stepped in and out of range very well, not laterally so much but then he didn't need to. He jabbed very very well, but didn't follow up well, but then, he didn't really need to do that either.

Thailand man, Thailand. Watch fights from there, they don't go aggressively for the KO until the last couple rounds(sometimes not even then), if they're down on the scorecards, then they go all out and try to put away their opponent. Of course they'd like a KO, but it's not their main focus, plus the bettors like long fights so it has alot to do with the matchmaking.

Please read between the lines next time instead of attacking me.

You get more money for KOs

Muay Thai I don't think is overrated. Sure its punching is not in a boxing level but its more suited for MMA because of all the tools it brings to the "table" unlike boxing, which is why it has been the better candidate for stand up in MMA.

Now I'm sure most muay thai fighters would benefit "increasingly" to there skill in there hands, if they separated Muay Thai from boxing. But if one had to choose just one stand up style it would be Muay Thai over boxing hands down........period.

Muay Thai I don't think is overrated. Sure its punching is not in a boxing level but its more suited for MMA because of all the tools it brings to the "table" unlike boxing, which is why it has been the better candidate for stand up in MMA.

Now I'm sure most muay thai fighters would benefit "increasingly" to there skill in there hands, if they separated Muay Thai from boxing. But if one had to choose just one stand up style it would be Muay Thai over boxing hands down........period.

Was gonna bother giving this a winded response, but just gonna say one can do well knowing how to defend against what MT has to offer without taking up muay thai, same for other grapplers being able to take down BJJ guys without knowing it. It's really not as "period" as your "expertise" would like people to believe.

Was gonna bother giving this a winded response, but just gonna say one can do well knowing how to defend against what MT has to offer without taking up muay thai, same for other grapplers being able to take down BJJ guys without knowing it. It's really not as "period" as your "expertise" would like people to believe.

That logic can apply to anything by the same token just replace boxing for MT in your response. You won't have a counter because its a fact that MT brings more tools to the table then Boxing does. Now matter how many ways you try to slice it.

I'd rather have less tools but them be brought to the highest degree, than a shitload of tools and them all be mediocre.

Just because you don't train every single technique there is doesn't make you less of a fighter. Nor does it make you ignorant of the fact that there's things beyond your scope. You're making the assumption all boxer's don't know how to check a kick, in which you'd be very wrong.

More is not always better, it's quality that matters.

edit: But while we're at it smart guy, you seem to have it all figured out, why don't you just take up MT and go crush everyone in your weight class?

I'd rather have less tools but them be brought to the highest degree, than a shitload of tools and them all be mediocre.

Just because you don't train every single technique there is doesn't make you less of a fighter. Nor does it make you ignorant of the fact that there's things beyond your scope. You're making the assumption there's boxer's that don't know how to check a kick, in which you'd be very wrong.

Once boxer's start learning how to check kicks or defend take downs or learns the MT clinch he becomes "more" then a boxer. This is just strictly speaking on the individual style itself not on a great base with learning more. Any base as long as you mixed it up in MMA can lead to wonders. Boxing "alone" just fairs worst but when added can raise the bar for sure.
I think a lot of Boxers just don't like that idea and want boxing to be the goat style.

Once boxer's start learning how to check kicks or defend take downs or learns the MT clinch he becomes "more" then a boxer. This is just strictly speaking on the individual style itself not on a great base with learning more. Any base as long as you mixed it up in MMA can lead to wonders. Boxing "alone" just fairs worst but when added can raise the bar for sure.
I think a lot of Boxers just don't like that idea and want boxing to be the goat style.

The next myth to bust is the "he's just a boxer" one, because a shit ton of professional boxers practice other martial arts outside of the ring, on their own time.

The next myth to bust is the "he's just a boxer" one, because a shit ton of professional boxers practice other martial arts outside of the ring, on their own time.

Then that boxer is more then a boxer. He is more mixed then those that just practice the individual style of just boxing :) His base will be boxing but he is mixed. MMA all the way.

edit: But while we're at it smart guy, you seem to have it all figured out, why don't you just take up MT and go crush everyone in your weight class?

After you take up boxing and crush everyone in MMA...LOL.

Now see you little jackass, that would've been cute had I been the one sucking MT's teat and denigrating boxing, but that wasn't me, that was you. You can apply your little mma logic to any style, but here's another clue, training MMA doesn't give you a greenlight to beat any stylist's ass, and you'd do well to remember that.

There's also just as many MT guys, BJJ guys, whatever, that think their style is the goat, it's called pride in what you've devoted yourself to, just sometimes that pride becomes arrogance.

Yet you've shown nothing that indicates your opinion has any value other than your keyboard garbage. Period.

Hands are the most frequently used weapons in striking. It's just natural for humans.

I think a mix of a MT fighter and a boxer would create the best possible striker, but with more emphasis placed on boxing because of the hands/defense.

Back