Boxers winning with a broken hand?

Ay as long as them hands still pack some thunder, a young buck will get surprised waking up 10 minutes later.

44. In all honestly it's a matter of making an honest effort at stretching more. When I do that my flexibility comes back... a little, haha.
I coached High School football last year, and running around with these Varsity guys I saw I still have some movement and had to stay stretched to not hurt myself..lol. Ended up racing some cats and didn't do too bad (you know stupid shit coaches do to motivate the dudes). Anyways the aches and stuff though, that's the past catching up with the abuse I put myself through as a young man. All the banging, minor injuries that you just ignore and push through. The over-training, lack of taking care of yourself cause you're young 19-32 work hard, then work hard in the gym, kill yourself during games or tournaments, eating whatever and drinking heavy when the day is done type of shit... It all adds up.
i haven't lost all that much really, my weight is a lot harder to get down, a lot harder and the extra fat makes it harder to be flexible but most workouts are still not as hard as some of the jobs i've done. I've had jobs that i had to pray to get through, jobs where i hurt my back and foolishly kept working. But, although i still hit the bag, i never did spar all that much, even when i was young so i'm sure i'd get injured if I were to do that. The rest of the stuff is a breeze.

i haven't lost all that much really, my weight is a lot harder to get down, a lot harder and the extra fat makes it harder to be flexible but most workouts are still not as hard as some of the jobs i've done. I've had jobs that i had to pray to get through, jobs where i hurt my back and foolishly kept working. But, although i still hit the bag, i never did spar all that much, even when i was young so i'm sure i'd get injured if I were to do that. The rest of the stuff is a breeze.
I have the weight issue now I'm older. I seem to put it on pretty fast if I start eating bad but it's a lot slower to come off. I definitely have a softer midsection than I used to even eating pretty clean. I don't seem to have the same stamina or ability to push myself when I go for my runs now. I've noticed my average heart rate is higher when I run at the same pace I did just a few years ago. I just don't seem to be able to keep up the same pace and my increases in fitness are slower and less marked.

And I'm more injury prone now. I've just had two months off weight training because I injured my rotator cuff while lifting a few boxes overhead. That sort of silly old person injury that wouldn't have ever been an issue when I was younger. I'm still pretty flexible though (despite not stretching) which helps with Jits.

I have the weight issue now I'm older. I seem to put it on pretty fast if I start eating bad but it's a lot slower to come off. I definitely have a softer midsection than I used to even eating pretty clean. I don't seem to have the same stamina or ability to push myself when I go for my runs now. I've noticed my average heart rate is higher when I run at the same pace I did just a few years ago. I just don't seem to be able to keep up the same pace and my increases in fitness are slower and less marked.

And I'm more injury prone now. I've just had two months off weight training because I injured my rotator cuff while lifting a few boxes overhead. That sort of silly old person injury that wouldn't have ever been an issue when I was younger. I'm still pretty flexible though (despite not stretching) which helps with Jits.
oh, ya, i did forget to mention the drive issue, that's probably the main one, it's harder to push yourself when you get older. I asked a college basketball star, who was about 42 at the time, i was 27, "what do you lose most" he said "desire".

The two people I have seen lift more than seems natural is the IT guy where I work, and a 5’5” guy who could deadlift the entire forum.

I got told I was too short for contact sports and now I’m a lot taller I know it was teachers looking for low key success in a sport where no one gives a fuck.

Give me a month and I can do 400m close to 55s, I will beat you at a bleep test and I can still lift. I just don’t get the time in. I enjoyed sparring today but like I said, if you spot I can’t bounce on my right foot @MC Paul Barman will shift me all day.

oh, ya, i did forget to mention the drive issue, that's probably the main one, it's harder to push yourself when you get older. I asked a college basketball star, who was about 42 at the time, i was 27, "what do you lose most" he said "desire".
Maybe that's it, I just can't push myself as hard as I used to.

The two people I have seen lift more than seems natural is the IT guy where I work, and a 5’5” guy who could deadlift the entire forum.

I got told I was too short for contact sports and now I’m a lot taller I know it was teachers looking for low key success in a sport where no one gives a fuck.

Give me a month and I can do 400m close to 55s, I will beat you at a bleep test and I can still lift. I just don’t get the time in. I enjoyed sparring today but like I said, if you spot I can’t bounce on my right foot @MC Paul Barman will shift me all day.
i never was all that good of an athlete really, but then, i don't think most boxers would do that well in events and lifts. Remember joe frazier struggling to lift 160 overhead? that's actually pretty good for a guy who's never touched a weight you know, but compared to people that was doing it for years, he was nothing.

Maybe that's it, I just can't push myself as hard as I used to.
a lot of times i just coast and don't worry about it too much, as long as i'm working. My weight worries me more than anything, i finally had to break down and start taking appetite suppressants, which i hate having to do. but, it's working, i'm down to 210 which is still way too goddamned fat but it's better.

i never was all that good of an athlete really, but then, i don't think most boxers would do that well in events and lifts. Remember joe frazier struggling to lift 160 overhead? that's actually pretty good for a guy who's never touched a weight you know, but compared to people that was doing it for years, he was nothing.
I do remember that actually.

England used to have a programme called superstars and they’d get athletes from various sports to compete at various things. Alan minter at 800m? Not so good.

I do remember that actually.

England used to have a programme called superstars and they’d get athletes from various sports to compete at various things. Alan minter at 800m? Not so good.
Amir Khan competed in a programme which was either Superstars or something just like it. He was really good at 800m. He did fairly well in all the events. Shame he didn't have the chin.

EDIT: Just found out AJ won the 2012 version. He ran 11:53 for the 100m which isn't bad for such a big lump.

Last edited:
yup, like anything, if you don't do it, you're not going to be that good more than likely unless you just happen to have a natural aptitude for it. Pinklon Thomas supposedly could run a sub 10 second hundred yard dash but what does a boxer need with that? Joe said himself he didn't believe in weights and that he was "plenty strong" for boxing. I disagree somewhat, i think you should supplement but the old timers still thought it was bad for you. When Michael Spinks lifted weights for his Holmes fight, the boxing people predicted doom, same for holyfield, now it's not unusual.

I'm kind of the same.... still don't have much problem with weight, only about 10-15 lbs over my "prime" weight. I don't gain weight unless I'm letting loose and don't care cause yeah, getting it off takes injury type of working out to cut down. Recovery from injury or knicks takes foreeever. But mostly just not quite as flexible or mobile on my feet (I used to be almost Van Damme type flexible in my 20s, so I still have some range, honestly can prolly still round house a 6 footer in the jaw, but just nowhere close to what it used to be). I've sparred a lot and would like to think my reflexes and explosion are still close, but still being relatively in the same spot after an exchange make a big difference now. I'm sure my power is as good, but who knows. I don't spar anymore, too many honchos that wanna prove something and Im too old to get into a KO contest. I think I'm just comfortable being not as active as I used to be. Just stay in "snatch-a-bitch" shape an I'm good, keeps me from getting injured...lol

Last edited:
Yeah that's SO true.....I think a lot of it is because there's no natural routine to be ready to compete at your personal highest level. I mean really, what the hell is a 40yr old gonna have to prepare for unless your an aging NBA, NFL or MLB journeyman that wants to still compete. there's nothing to drive you. It's a weird thing there's not a legit reason work out hard anymore, the desire is gone.

well, i'm lucky in comparison to some of the people i know, or some of the guys who've been through my gym. alot of those guys don't live very healthy to begin with and then to grind up their bodies with training on top of whatever partying and liquor and drugs they take in just leaves them all fucked up. chris Leben, a guy who fought out of my old gym although after I quit, he supposedly has a bad heart that sounds like it could leave him dead at any time. and other guys my age need hip replacements. You know, when the economy tanked in 2008 and the only thing i could do was physical work, i thought many times of two things regarding my not getting involved with fighting 1. I thought about all the shitty work i was doing in the mud and dirt and think of how Maurice Smith once called me a "Prima Donna" and I laugh at how much he misunderstood me. 2. How lucky I was never to ruin my body doing the stupid shit they told me to do because I don't know how I would have survived to be honest in that recession. I'm blessed overall, physically, i'm lucky, none of us get through life without some pain, the thing you have to be careful with now is not to get involved with the painkillers sun, those will kill you.
Thought it was Maurice Smith in the pic! I had a chat last year to one of his old opponents. Stan ' The Man' Longinidis. Top guy, killing it doing motivation talks to suits now.

a lot of times i just coast and don't worry about it too much, as long as i'm working. My weight worries me more than anything, i finally had to break down and start taking appetite suppressants, which i hate having to do. but, it's working, i'm down to 210 which is still way too goddamned fat but it's better.
210?! How tall are you? I get back to 210lbs and Id be a ripped beast of a man...

Thought it was Maurice Smith in the pic! I had a chat last year to one of his old opponents. Stan ' The Man' Longinidis. Top guy, killing it doing motivation talks to suits now.

ha ha, Stan the Man! No one knew anything about kickboxing back in the day but every Aussie knew Stan the Man that's for sure. My brother had ringside seats to his fight against Dennis Alexio, not for long ha ha.

Ay as long as them hands still pack some thunder, a young buck will get surprised waking up 10 minutes later.

I should clarify I've never boxed, I just do the cardio circuit at the gym. I'm 37, have dropped a shitload of weight since starting it, have considered doing some sparring for the fuck of it, but the boys my size look like a scary prospect to be honest ha ha!

I should clarify I've never boxed, I just do the cardio circuit at the gym. I'm 37, have dropped a shitload of weight since starting it, have considered doing some sparring for the fuck of it, but the boys my size look like a scary prospect to be honest ha ha!
Ya, don't start now!

210?! How tall are you? I get back to 210lbs and Id be a ripped beast of a man...
I'm only 5-10, i'm just plain too fat, way more than 10-15 pounds, obese level. Back when I was considering competing I got down as low as 157 and probably could have gotten 10 or 15 lower so I'm small boned in general, another reason not to get into mma, there weren't even divisions or if there were, they were in their infancy 18 years ago. It didn't take long for people to figure out that even the gracies wouldn't be able to compete if they didn't change things.

Ya, don't start now!
ya, the injuries will come a lot easier when you get older, especially if you've never done anything to prepare yourself. Certain parts of my body are really tough, other parts weren't so conditioned (like my ribs) but i've taken some bad spills and landed awkwardly, the kind of fall where you check for bones sticking out and a few minutes later I was fine. all that jarring and kicking the bag does make the bones denser.

Back