Boxers winning with a broken hand?

TankAbbott4Eva

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
This came up in conversation in another thread about Floyd, I think he has done this a few times. Obviously when a fighter breaks their hand it impedes their ability to throw punches on one side of the body, though you often see fighters keep throwing some light ones to try and trick the other guy. Of course when the other guy figures it out it would be slightly terrifying, I guess adrenaline may hide the pain enough to keep throwing the broken one but it must still be scary as fuck.

A few local examples I can think of is Australian HW Dave Russell beating our local LHW champ about 20 odd years ago. I think Shane Cameron did it against Bob Mirovic locally as well, I think he actually knocked him out with the broken right hand which is pretty badass of course. Who's got some other examples?

Gatti vs Ward 3.
Williams vs Porter.

After some searching Mayweather broken hand against :
Hernandez
Judah
Baldomir
Berto

And numerous other sprains and "boxer's knuckle" (which are common)

Calzaghe had a broken hand before the lacy fight.

Nas reckoned he broke his hand in a fight that he won.

Hearns broke his hand on haglers chin. But lost.

Ward vs. Froch. Ward went onto win
Lomachenko vs. Tatakhum. And Lomachenko dominated his opponent

Calzaghe had a broken hand before the lacy fight.

Nas reckoned he broke his hand in a fight that he won.

Hearns broke his hand on haglers chin. But lost.

Can't believe you forgot about Sexy vs Martin Murray.

BI9t3waCAAIqNmm.jpg

Can't believe you forgot about Sexy vs Martin Murray.

BI9t3waCAAIqNmm.jpg
I’d totally forgotten about that one. Kinda like how Tom Brady seems to have forgotten to win without assistance from the officials.

Broken hands are no big deal. Danny Williams KOed some guy with a dislocated right arm hanging by his side. Ha !

A broken hand is no joke . I broke my hand once punching a cabinet.. It was almost healed. Then at my brothers graduation party, his karate instructor gave me a firm handshake that brought me to my knees. I couldnt image punching with that hand. I have a pretty high pain threshold, too.

This has happened a ton of times. Championship boxers are a different breed of human being. Fighting through that kind of thing is the norm.

ya, pretty common, bad hands are even more common, meaning tender, hurting hands. Roy jones claimed to beat hopkins with one hand, tommy hearns broke his hand in the benitez fight and kept throwing it anyway, saying "mind over matter", gerrie coetzee had a bad "bionic" right hand that had to be fused together because he broke it so much. When i used to do security and was training alot my hands hurt all the time, i think i might have had something broken at some point but never so bad that I needed to have a cast or anything, so maybe more along the lines of a sprain but both hands would hurt like hell, unfortunately, i know none of it helps me as a pianist these days. People say I'm good but I deride myself all the time, the last three fingers, the punching part of the hand seem to be the most effected, slow, less agile but could be worse.

A broken hand is no joke . I broke my hand once punching a cabinet.. It was almost healed. Then at my brothers graduation party, his karate instructor gave me a firm handshake that brought me to my knees. I couldnt image punching with that hand. I have a pretty high pain threshold, too.
back when i was training, i used to hate shaking people's hands because of that shit, it's common knowledge that boxers generally give wimpy handshakes and often just offer their fingers because of assholes like that.

Great input.

Responding to the rest of the thread, I broke my big toe on the right foot last year. It doesn’t really stop me training or running or lifting, but I can’t move it anymore and I’m told surgery on toes is dangerous because if they fuck up even slightly it’s movement gone forever.

The problem is i can’t get on my toes if I train and last time I tried to spar I looked like I had the foot movement of valuev.

Apart from accepting I’m getting old and my body is falling apart has anyone come across this before? @mozfonky im looking in your direction.

Mason "The Line" Dixon fought with a broken hand in the epic "Skill vs Will" against Rocky B. The hand eventually numbed and he used it in the later rounds.

After some searching Mayweather broken hand against :
Hernandez
Judah
Baldomir
Berto

And numerous other sprains and "boxer's knuckle" (which are common)

didn't mayweather break his hand against augustus as well? always thought there was something odd about the way that fight finished...

Great input.

Responding to the rest of the thread, I broke my big toe on the right foot last year. It doesn’t really stop me training or running or lifting, but I can’t move it anymore and I’m told surgery on toes is dangerous because if they fuck up even slightly it’s movement gone forever.

The problem is i can’t get on my toes if I train and last time I tried to spar I looked like I had the foot movement of valuev.

Apart from accepting I’m getting old and my body is falling apart has anyone come across this before? @mozfonky im looking in your direction.
you're just a mess aren't sun? ya, i'm getting old but oddly, i think lately, i hurting myself more just doing work for some of my asshole customers than i do working out. Mostly because i get stuck with a lot of stuff no one else can or wants to do. I slipped and hurt my knee a couple years ago and i think it's pretty serious, i also hurt my back pretty bad last year moving boulders, no lie, boulders for a customer, usually because other people are too lazy to pitch in and I take to much on so in that way it's my fault.

Great input.

also, i have to admit, when i got to my mid thirties, i noticed i was hurting myself doing routine shit, i hurt my foot jumping rope and i hurt my shoulder throwing a jab at the bag, things I always did with no problem. those things were a warning to me that i had to change how i worked out in that, I used to push through a lot of stuff and i just learned to stop right away if something didn't feel right.

Back