Boeing stock, 1 year performance, cronyism, prelude to war, or the free market?

I thought we learned in the WR that stocks aren't affected by business results or anything. It's just, as long as the president is a Republican doing Republican-y things, stocks go up. They always go down if the president is a Demmycrat.

Whoa, neat.

Fair enough, didn’t know that about Boeing’s history with Airbus, I’d thought it was way behind just a couple years ago. I agree that Boeing needs to focus on innovation in order to survive, but innovation with poor safety records isn’t going to pay the bills either. I mean the Russians have some quality airframes, but the Chinese scare me a bit.

I agree. When it was just a Chinese venture, I thought it would fail. Even single aisle production is highly complicated. Just the regulatory requirements, are a mountain to climb.

Especially when you consider Boeing and Airbus's influence with the FAA, and EASA.

With the Russians on board though, it is a game changer.

I believe they have divested in the fighter jet market. They have a lot of focus on sattelites, drones, and service contracts.

Lockheed I think prioritized fighter jets, and rather than go head to head with LM, Boeing I think just went around them.

yeah, but they super hornet and F-15 on paper should sell a lot more. But they really failed with with F-15. If they produced the F-15 MANX and the F-15STOL they would have sold a lot more.

And i agree with you, also don't forget northrop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_STOL/MTD

324486471.jpg

Boe instead went for a shitty F-15SE. They could have easily gotten contracts with the military and other countrys

yeah, but they super hornet and F-15 on paper should sell a lot more. But they really failed with with F-15. If they produced the F-15 MANX and the F-15STOL they would have sold a lot more.

And i agree with you, also don't forget northrop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_STOL/MTD

324486471.jpg

Boe instead went for a shitty F-15SE. They could have easily gotten contracts with the military and other countrys

I think Northrup is the only one not being ran by bean counters. There is still a emphasis on engineering their.

Also, just like Boeing could have slapped GE engines on the 747-400, instead of building the 747-8, and it would still be selling. Or like how they prioritized union busting over building and delivering a quality product for the 787.

The Boeing executive level is full of incompetents.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, why in the fucking Christ is half your retirement fund in Boeing if you're always really skeptical about the stock market?

Tesla and a ton of other companies are up big this year too. NVIDIA. Netflix. Apple. Nearly everything. It is that high because people are willing to buy it. I am soon

Boeing took of after the CEO was on Mad Money. This tax cut helps them since they actually pay taxes in the US. They said they will be investing billions in R and D with this money. And also said Boeing will beat Elon Musk to Mars. That's why.

And this may have something to do with it too:

Boeing surges after reporting record jet deliveries and massive order backlog
  • The aerospace giant delivered 763 planes, one more than its previous high set in 2015.
  • Boeing's backlog is equal to seven years' of production.
  • Narrow-body 737 jet orders rose 35 percent on the year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/09/boeing-caps-2017-with-record-deliveries-backlog.html

you clearly don't research your own stocks.

If you don't mind me asking, why in the fucking Christ is half your retirement fund in Boeing if you're always really skeptical about the stock market?

Because they took my pension, and it was replaced by a 401k match. I am stupid if I don't invest.

I don't always go that heavy on Boeing stock, but once I saw the Boeing/Trump connections, I knew I would be foolish not to go heavy there.

I am also very limited in my choices for funds to invest in.

Boeing stock fund, is my only choice for a 80%, one company play.

I think Northrup is the only one not being ran by bean counters. Their is still a emphasis on engineering there.

here you go @VivaRevolution things they failed that could have netted huge profits for boeing

How so? Northrop is pretty much my favorite Aerospace company.

Because they took my pension, and it was replaced by a 401k match. I am stupid if I don't invest.

I don't always go that heavy on Boeing stock, but once I saw the Boeing/Trump connections, I knew I would be foolish not to go heavy there.

I am also very limited in my choices for funds to invest in.

Boeing stock fund, is my only choice for a 80%, one company play.
I think in this case, money talks. And I agree with you that it would be foolish not to take to advantage of that. It just goes against your skepticism; probably a good sign that your actions are better than your fears.

Boeing took of after the CEO was on Mad Money. This tax cut helps them since they actually pay taxes in the US. They said they will be investing billions in R and D with this money. And also said Boeing will beat Elon Musk to Mars. That's why.

• The aerospace giant delivered 763 planes, one more than its previous high set in 2015.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/09/boeing-caps-2017-with-record-deliveries-backlog.html

Just like they didn't pay taxes for years after the 787, and 747-8, they won't be paying taxes for years after the 777-X.

I'm telling you, the company is ran by idiots. They survive off of a duopoly, and crony capitalism.

What kind of company puts their HQ in chicago, when there operations are in Washington state?

Do you have any idea what kind of 'let them eat cake', atmosphere that creates?

I think in this case, money talks. And I agree with you that it would be foolish not to take to advantage of that. It just goes against your skepticism; probably a good sign that your actions are better than your fears.

I try to keep a balance between my skepticism, and pragmatic action.

Just like they didn't pay taxes for years after the 787, and 747-8, they won't be paying taxes for years after the 777-X.

I'm telling you, the company is ran by idiots. They survive off of a duopoly, and crony capitalism.

What kind of company puts their HQ in chicago, when there operations are in Washington state?

Do you have any idea what kind of 'let them eat cake', atmosphere that creates?

lol at run by idiots.

Why is Tesla up huge this year and hasn't delivered shit to customers and still has never turned a profit? Why is that stock the same price as Boeing? Boeing has much better fundamentals. You can argue this with a ton of stock. Personally, the CEO got me excited and I liked what he had to say and wanted to buy the stock soon. IT has gone to the moon since.

You may think he is an idiot but CNBC, which more people see than you, made him look good. He made himself look good. Made me want to invest in them and I was right. If you wanna blame anyone for shilling for Boeing it is Cramer. He does that for a lot of stocks though and it fails as much as it succeeds.

When I was done watching this CEO I thought this is a stock I must buy soon. I gotta have it.

You should do your own research. Boeing 737 sales rose 35%, and they sold 1 more airplane.

Do you know what the cost and profit difference is between a dual aisle airplane and a single aisle?

Those 737's go for 30 million a piece. A dual aisle aircraft ranges from 80 million to upwards of 350 million.

They lost dual aisle market share to Airbus.

You should do your own research. Boeing 737 sales rose 35%, and they sold 1 more airplane.

Do you know what the cost and profit difference is between a dual aisle airplane and a single aisle?

Those 737's go for 30 million a piece. A dual aisle aircraft ranges from 80 million to upwards of 350 million.

They lost dual aisle market share to Airbus.

It is fuckin succeeding expectations.

Do you know this has nothing to do with fuckin planes? Just like Tesla isn't about cars. It is about the company in general. technical play a small role. I am not following technicals of companies I am following what people think a company's value is. Their psychology. I dont care about fuckin planes.

the argument you are making against Boeing is the same one people have made for years about Tesla. But the stock is still fuckin high.

I dont believe tesla is really worth 350. but if I can buy it at that and sell it for more, why wouldnt I? I tried to go against the crowd. It doesnt work. I said the same shit about Tesla. It is a house of cards but it is still booming in the market. The power of belief. I learned to accept that fundamentals often don't matter.

It is fuckin succeeding expectations.

Do you know this has nothing to do with fuckin planes? Just like Tesla isn't about cars. It is about the company in general. technical play a small role. I am not following technicals of companies I am following what people think a company's value is. Their psychology. I dont care about fuckin planes.

the argument you are making against Boeing is the same one people have made for years about Tesla. But the stock is still fuckin high.

I dont believe tesla is really worth 350. but if I can buy it at that and sell it for more, why wouldnt I? I tried to go against the crowd. It doesnt work. I said the same shit about Tesla. It is a house of cards but it is still booming in the market. The power of belief. I learned to accept that fundamentals often don't matter.

Sounds like a market built on cronyism and speculation, and not a free market, yes?

Like a perfect storm for bubbles, and bubbles bursting maybe?

Sounds like a market built on cronysim and speculation, and not a free market, yes?

Like a perfect storm for bubbles, and bubbles bursting maybe?

Speculation for sure. I am a speculator myself. Small time obviously. lol.

What is a stock price? An opinion. Simple as that. It is the sum of the opinions of people in the market. I got into the stock market because of Tesla. I was gonna buy them first. Then I looked at their technicals and realized they are shit. They still are. But came to accept that you must follow the people and not the company.

I love this scene from Bobby Fischer. "Never play the board, play the man. You gotta play the man playing the board. Beat ME. I am your opponent."

We are doing it right now. Arguing about what a stock price should be. We are playing each other. Fighting each other.

Right now, more people are of the opinion that Boeing is better than you personally think it is. That is why the stock is the price it is. Because you are in the minority. If more people thought like you, it would be lower. And it may go lower. Who knows.

Last edited:
I have it and Lockheed loaded up in my stock accounts

Anyway, as to the larger general question about the market, yes you should be at least a little worried that prices are gonna drop. The market has been on a tear. It can't do that forever. It has go to down sometimes. It will go back up but there has to be a downtime eventually. We are overdue for one. I bet most experts would say there will be a significant correction within the first 6 months of the year. I would have sold some of that Boeing. That is what I am thinking of doing now. Selling my stocks so I will have cash to buy when prices get cheap. This is a seller's market.

Anyway, as to the larger general question about the market, yes you should be at least a little worried that prices are gonna drop. The market has been on a tear. It can't do that forever. It has go to down sometimes. It will go back up but there has to be a downtime eventually. We are overdue for one. I bet most experts would say there will be a significant correction within the first 6 months of the year. I would have sold some of that Boeing. That is what I am thinking of doing now. Selling my stocks so I will have cash to buy when prices get cheap. This is a seller's market.

So do you see the normal bear market coming, or a 20% or greater market correction coming?

I think a 20% market correction would rightfully be called a bubble bursting.

Back