Locked BLACK PANTHER Thread V.2 (First Critics' Reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namor by Arm Bar.

I want to see Doctor Doom and the Latverians push Wakanda's shit in.

Book both fights, Dana!:)

I told my girlfriend that this movie is going to make me crave that Thanos wreck Wakanda. She was almost appalled...almost. ;)

Blade didn't really lean on its character being black. He just happened to be black. BP heavily relies on his identity being African, so people tend to ignore the past with Blade and Spawn. Both vastly superior characters imo.

Ill see this though. I like the actors, and they made BP pretty badass in the fight scenes of previous Marvel flicks. The music throughout is annoying though. From what ive heard in trailers and such.

Gladiator leaned heavily on the people being Romans. Viking movies lean heavily on them being Scandinavians. 300 the Greeks and Persians.

Ethnicity is key when the ethnicity is key. Its as simple as that. In Blade it had no meaning. In this movie it is clear why ethnicity MUST be featured and that should shock no one just as it should not in a Viking movie.

Gladiator leaned heavily on the people being Romans. Viking movies lean heavily on them being Scandinavians. 300 the Greeks and Persians.

Ethnicity is key when the ethnicity is key. Its as simple as that. In Blade it had no meaning. In this movie it is clear why ethnicity MUST be featured and that should shock no one just as it should not in a Viking movie.
Yeah, the character relies on a racial identity. I know. Doesn't take away from the fact that people don't know what they are talking about when they say it is the first black super hero movie. Simple as that.

Yeah, the character relies on a racial identity. I know. Doesn't take away from the fact that people don't know what they are talking about when they say it is the first black super hero movie. Simple as that.
Ya I hear ya.

it would be better to say it is the first film in this comic sphere where the racial identity is key to the story plotline and that is something worth considering in this context.

This thread brings tear to my eye. I’m so proud. And so glad people are actually wising up to the game that is being played. Not referring to Black Panther specifically, but Disney in general. When a company is that powerful it would take tons of courage to knowingly say things that might get you on their bad side. You give up access, you give up opportunity. And especially if you’re struggling to make it in the industry, it’s straight up career suicide.

Everybody just shut the fuck up with your bullshit and talk about the movie

I’m excited to see it, I though CB was awesome in civil war & good in the other stuff I’ve seen him in.

Don’t want to get too excited because it looks (judging by the trailers) to have an excessive and poor quality amount of CGI and Michael jordan is fucking horrible. Terrible. The worst actor to ever be in a movie.

But we’ll see.

Update: February 12, 2018

BLACK PANTHER Now Tracking for Massive $165 Million U.S. Debut

black_panther_still_13.jpg

The forecast keeps getting better and better for Disney and Marvel Studios' Black Panther, which opens in North America on Friday.

Hollywood's leading tracking service, NRG, on Monday revised its opening weekend estimate to $165 million or more for the four-day Presidents Day weekend — which if it holds would be the top February launch of all time — according to sources with access to tracking.

When Black Panther first came on tracking two weeks ago, NRG forecast a domestic opening of $125 million. By last week, that number had shot up to $150 million-plus.

If NRG is right, Black Panther could potentially land one of the top five or six openings ever for superhero film, not accounting for inflation. Of course, tracking often misses the mark. Either way, Black Panther, which also launches overseas, appears headed for greatness.

Directed by Ryan Coogler, Black Panther is unprecedented in being a big-budget studio tentpole featuring a virtually all-black cast. In the film, Chadwick Boseman stars as T'Challa/Black Panther alongside Lupita Nyong'o, Michael B. Jordan, Daniel Kaluuya, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker and Andy Serkis.

The critically acclaimed movie currently boasts a stellar 97 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes, the best of any title in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (that could change by opening day).

The roster of top superhero openings in North America is led off by The Avengers (2012) with $207.4 million, followed by Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) with $191.3 million, Captain America: Civil War (2016) with $179.1 million, Iron Man 3 (2013) with $174.1 million — all from Marvel — and Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) with $166 million and The Dark Knight Rises (2012) with $160.9 million, not accounting for inflation.

Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool, which currently holds the record for top February opening, took in $152.2 million over the four-day Presidents Day weekend last year.

'Black Panther' Now Tracking for Massive $165 Million U.S. Debut

Everybody just shut the fuck up with your bullshit and talk about the movie

I’m excited to see it, I though CB was awesome in civil war & good in the other stuff I’ve seen him in.

Don’t want to get too excited because it looks (judging by the trailers) to have an excessive and poor quality amount of CGI and Michael jordan is fucking horrible. Terrible. The worst actor to ever be in a movie.

But we’ll see.

I actually like Michael Jordan. What about his acting do you have an issue with he's been good in everything I've seen him in.

Update: February 12, 2018

BLACK PANTHER Now Tracking for Massive $165 Million U.S. Debut

black_panther_still_13.jpg

The forecast keeps getting better and better for Disney and Marvel Studios' Black Panther, which opens in North America on Friday.

Hollywood's leading tracking service, NRG, on Monday revised its opening weekend estimate to $165 million or more for the four-day Presidents Day weekend — which if it holds would be the top February launch of all time — according to sources with access to tracking.

When Black Panther first came on tracking two weeks ago, NRG forecast a domestic opening of $125 million. By last week, that number had shot up to $150 million-plus.

If NRG is right, Black Panther could potentially land one of the top five or six openings ever for superhero film, not accounting for inflation. Of course, tracking often misses the mark. Either way, Black Panther, which also launches overseas, appears headed for greatness.

Directed by Ryan Coogler, Black Panther is unprecedented in being a big-budget studio tentpole featuring a virtually all-black cast. In the film, Chadwick Boseman stars as T'Challa/Black Panther alongside Lupita Nyong'o, Michael B. Jordan, Daniel Kaluuya, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker and Andy Serkis.

The critically acclaimed movie currently boasts a stellar 97 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes, the best of any title in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (that could change by opening day).

The roster of top superhero openings in North America is led off by The Avengers (2012) with $207.4 million, followed by Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) with $191.3 million, Captain America: Civil War (2016) with $179.1 million, Iron Man 3 (2013) with $174.1 million — all from Marvel — and Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) with $166 million and The Dark Knight Rises (2012) with $160.9 million, not accounting for inflation.

Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool, which currently holds the record for top February opening, took in $152.2 million over the four-day Presidents Day weekend last year.

'Black Panther' Now Tracking for Massive $165 Million U.S. Debut

I thought america was racist

This movie should not be doing so well

This thread brings tear to my eye. I’m so proud. And so glad people are actually wising up to the game that is being played. Not referring to Black Panther specifically, but Disney in general. When a company is that powerful it would take tons of courage to knowingly say things that might get you on their bad side. You give up access, you give up opportunity. And especially if you’re struggling to make it in the industry, it’s straight up career suicide.

You were saying....
All these Disney movies have been released in the last 2 years or so. I don't see what you are talking about.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alice_in_wonderland_through_the_looking_glass
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pirates_of_the_caribbean_dead_men_tell_no_tales
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beauty_and_the_beast_2017
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cars_3
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_good_dinosaur

There are plenty of negative reviews from all sorts of critics. It's not a conspiracy dude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back