BJJ- What's REALLY effective and ineffective in a real street fight ?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Once you strip away all the marketing, propaganda and flashy moves like breimblo etc what is ACTUALLY effective in a street fight?

I'm still a white belt but from guard I can *maybe* see how kimura can be effective as untrained people generally won't keep thier arms tucked in.... armbars... maybe as well if your quick. Triangle chockes to me seem like an invitation to get slammed to the floor.

My top game sucks even more than my bottom game, so no idea there aside from Riding up high off thier hips and wailing away at thier face....

Taking the back seems like a no brainer if you can get there. But even untrained people will know what your trying to do and can tuck thier Chins in and avoid chokes long enough for s fight to end or restart

Your thoughts ?

ummm.... you said you are a white belt.. how many actual fights have you been in?

Someone like Uchi needs to answer, trying to answer in a nice way right now will make my head hurt

Once you secure top position, a lot of it is effective provided it is 1 vs 1. But how to get on top is a big problem for BJJ. This is why Judo is more street applicable.

Arm drag to rear naked choke would work on most untrained dudes. Mount escapes would be useful( don't let yourself get there really). Staying safe in guard ( not all schools teach this ) is useful .

Someone like Uchi needs to answer, trying to answer in a nice way right now will make my head hurt

Geez man. What what's wrong with asking this ? I mean bjj is in theory for self defense I suppose

Arm drag to rear naked choke would work on most untrained dudes. Mount escapes would be useful( don't let yourself get there really). Staying safe in guard ( not all schools teach this ) is useful .

I hear that a lot... arm drag to rnc. Even in training though this seems to only work on heavier guy to equal or smaller guy. Dragging a bigger guy seems to do the opposite

BJJ doesn't work in self defense just because of the petty techniques. When new people start coming in the door and you beat them, whatever you beat them with is what would work in a fight.

BJJ makes you good at fighting by making you a tougher person.

BJJ doesn't work in self defense just because of the petty techniques. When new people start coming in the door and you beat them, whatever you beat them with is what would work in a fight.

BJJ makes you good at fighting by making you a tougher person.
No it's also generally effective in principle even if you don't deify it

Prior to bjj ? Maybe like 3 ?

That's why I'm asking. I have no clue what is effective or not
That is because you don't have the appropriate schema of knowledge or visceral understanding of violence until you train more

I think TS is overestimating the average Joe's ability to defend against grappling techniques.

You're a white belt. Wait a few years, then grapple with a friend who's got no grappling experience.

It's like taking candy from a baby. They literally don't even realise the fatal mistakes they're making.

Of course, a street fight is a wild and chaotic affair, so some noob may headbutt you from guard or something if you're not careful, but as long as you follow one of the Golden Rules of grappling (always be on top), you'll probably be fine... As long as it's one v one etc etc etc. Again, street fights are chaotic and unpredictable.

Once you strip away all the marketing, propaganda and flashy moves like breimblo etc what is ACTUALLY effective in a street fight?

I'm still a white belt but from guard I can *maybe* see how kimura can be effective as untrained people generally won't keep thier arms tucked in.... armbars... maybe as well if your quick. Triangle chockes to me seem like an invitation to get slammed to the floor.

My top game sucks even more than my bottom game, so no idea there aside from Riding up high off thier hips and wailing away at thier face....

Taking the back seems like a no brainer if you can get there. But even untrained people will know what your trying to do and can tuck thier Chins in and avoid chokes long enough for s fight to end or restart

Your thoughts ?

ok... guys are getting mad at you because you are a white belt getting to conclusions.

1. kimura. yes
2. sweeps, hip bumb specially
3. Armbars from guard, not so much
4.Triangles. You cant get slam if you hook the arm/leg
5.Taking the back. Do you think an untrained person can just tuck his chin and avoid a RNC from some who actually knows how to do it? no he cant, specially in a street fight where theres no one whos going to stop you from grabbing his hair and pulling his head up, just as an example. The back is the best place, if you have a good RNC, its a done deal.

I hear that a lot... arm drag to rnc. Even in training though this seems to only work on heavier guy to equal or smaller guy. Dragging a bigger guy seems to do the opposite

stop assuming your experience as a valid proof of what works and doesnt. you are a white belt.

Go tell marcelo garcia if arm drags dont work on bigger people...

Athleticism, endurance, confidence, pain tolerance.

If you watch mma it becomes apparent what works and what doesn't

Back