BJJ- What's REALLY effective and ineffective in a real street fight ?

I personally like gift wraps. Rickson did it in the beach fight against Duarte, and to Funaki. Gift wrap from technical mount is an incredibly dominant and demoralizing position. I use a gift wrap sweep from guard all the time. It's a good position to learn and play with, and I'm surprised it's not used in MMA more.

it used to be back in the style vs style days, bjj guys will always use it as they have the option.. great position very strong with gloves too... im like you am surprise more people arent using it anymore.

i Try and avoid confrontation if possible ,and in my years of working you normally find big ass dudes or even little dudes who train or compete in bjj mma ,ect are normally the quiet ones with nothing to prove.its the big ass muscle bound idiots who haven't got a fight in them that cause the trouble and fall over like skittle pins once tagged on the chin

yep, but you are a big ass dude, so overpowering people is something comes naturally to you, either that be against a small or big guy, I am 1,75 cm and about 78 kilos in my best working out days. So while im not a weak, actually im pretty strong for my size (or so people say when we grapple), overpowering people is not the first thing it comes to my mind if I get in a fight. I havent in like a loong as time though.

yep, but you are a big ass dude, so overpowering people is something comes naturally to you, either that be against a small or big guy, I am 1,75 cm and about 78 kilos in my best working out days. So while im not a weak, actually im pretty strong for my size (or so people say when we grapple), overpowering people is not the first thing it comes to my mind if I get in a fight. I havent in like a loong as time though.
I wouldn't say it come naturally,obviously it helps being a big ass dude lol, but it comes of years of hard work and having some great coaches teaching me the how to use my size and weight in the right way,but ive also had my ass handed to me several times a week by smaller men including my currant Gi professor

Shouldnt also have your shoulders hunched up too, and an arm blocking the neck? The chin tuck, and everything is just to buy you time, so you can enact escape from that position anyways.
i wouldn't know anything about ,I trust what i have been taught by who i consider to be one of the greatest grapplers of our time

There's constructive criticism which is fine and totally welcome and then there's criticism that's counter productive and just meant to embarrass and demoralize.

The idea that there is a significant distinction between 'constructive criticism' and 'just being an asshole' is a self-serving mythology, both should be handled in the same way; engaging with what is edifying and ignoring or talking shit back otherwise cus thats how you play the game.

The real significant difference is between people with strong egos who are resilient to the vagaries of life and don't breed drama, and people with weak egos who react badly to any sort of perceived devalidation (and have increasingly broad senses of what they feel is devalidating to their personal narrative).

Last edited:
Back