BJJ Rolling Guide for Beginners

Heel hooks/twisting leg locks (grabbing the foot and twisting it)
Slamming (picking your partner up off the ground and throwing him hard back to the ground)
Small joint manipulation (grabbing individual fingers and toes)

I will admit I haven't read the whole thread yet, but my school allows all these. (Small joint depends on the roll) Are they really that uncommon?

i've always dig my elbows into the thighs and people try it on me. Doesn't even hurt anymore

You didn't lose. WTF Rolling isn't about winning or losing. Even if you tap out, you didn't lose. You just roll again or take a break. Stopping from being tired is the same as a verbal tap, so what's the problem. Do you really NEED your partner tapping your body with his hand?

I agree with you....rolling isn't about winning or losing.....obviously......while in the gym we are in training of course.....but at the same time a roll is a roll and i think that people that say "sorry man lets take a minute break im tired" is really annoying......especially when this could be motivated by a eminent tap.

Like I said in my previous post.....I think you should respect your partner you are in the roll with by tapping out if you can no longer continue.....

Ive read your posts for a few years on this forum and know you have been training a while......have you really not ran into one of these people?

and i want to reinforce......i don't roll in the gym for an ego boost from getting tap outs....or WINNING........i roll to train for competition and to get better....like most of my training partners.

Slamming (picking your partner up off the ground and throwing him hard back to the ground)

I will admit I haven't read the whole thread yet, but my school allows all these. (Small joint depends on the roll) Are they really that uncommon?

Yes. Remember: we are training in a sport that includes dangerous moves, which can cause unconsciousness, broken bones, torn muscles, or sprained ligaments. The number one rule is to stay safe.

I've seen people end up needing surgery because someone cranked a heel hook in training. Catch and release is ok, controlled cranking it is sometimes ok if you know who you are rolling with, but in general it is a bad idea. Those kind of leg locks are also illegal in the gi for BJJ tournaments, so they are not in the scope of this article.

Slamming is also a bad idea for obvious reasons. It is illegal and counter-productive to good training. If that is allowed at your gym, find a new gym. You aren't training safely.

Small joint manipulation, besides being illegal, can hurt your fingers very easily. I was choking someone in judo. He grabbed just my middle finger and pulled. It was swollen for 2 months and I could not grip well with that hand. However, I still finished the choke. In general, small join manipulation like that can easily hurt your partner. You can't tap fast enough to a "finger" lock to prevent injury, but it still won't not stop the submission or move and simply makes your opponent more angry. Finger locks like that is a dick move.

I agree with you....rolling isn't about winning or losing.....obviously......while in the gym we are in training of course.....but at the same time a roll is a roll and i think that people that say "sorry man lets take a minute break im tired" is really annoying......especially when this could be motivated by a eminent tap.

Like I said in my previous post.....I think you should respect your partner you are in the roll with by tapping out if you can no longer continue.....

Ive read your posts for a few years on this forum and know you have been training a while......have you really not ran into one of these people?

and i want to reinforce......i don't roll in the gym for an ego boost from getting tap outs....or WINNING........i roll to train for competition and to get better....like most of my training partners.

I've run into them. I don't care either way, though. In fact, I usually just feel bad and give them some words of encouragement.

i've always dig my elbows into the thighs and people try it on me. Doesn't even hurt anymore

That's why you're just a cockroach.

Great post! :)

I should print out the list and post it where i train, i dont think anyone in the club follows a single one of the rules posted above... well except for me. :)

If enough people agree that crossfacing should be in the always allowed section, I will put it in there. I appreciate the input guys.

I would disagree about digging elbows into the thigh being a part of opening the guard. It is one way to open the guard, but quite a few people consider digging the elbows to be an annoying beginner move.

It is a way to open the guard of someone that doesn't know anything.

So, you opened the guard of a rookie with an unsophisticated "technique" when you should have used that opportunity (with a rookie) to work on various more complex guard openers.

Nice.

It is a way to open the guard of someone that doesn't know anything.

So, you opened the guard of a rookie with an unsophisticated "technique" when you should have used that opportunity (with a rookie) to work on various more complex guard openers.

Nice.

I updated the guide to split the sometimes allowed section into two parts now to differentiate between legitimate techniques that are sometimes restricted by belt rank (e.g. leg locks) and the dick moves that are technically legal in competition at all levels but should be avoided anyway (e.g. digging elbows into the thigh).

Did anyone mention hygine? I hate rolling with a stinky guy. Also, don't roll sick, pleeease. If you have HIV, TB, HEP or any other really bad stuff don't roll! Finaly, trim your toe and finger nails both.

Hygiene is definitely important, but I'm not sure it's a common issue with beginners. Most of the new guys I roll with are pretty clean. In fact, unfortunately I think a lot of them are cleaner than a few experienced guys I've met.

I tried to just cover the common issues for beginners that aren't intuitive. For example, there are a lot more things that you can't do in BJJ than I listed, such as biting your partner or stabbing people with a knife, but even most beginners realize these automatically.

Perhaps add something like the below to the tap section:

You must pay attention to your training partner and let go of any hold or position if they tap you, tap the mat, say tap or make a yelping noise. Note that some people will tap with their leg against the mat if they cannot use their arms or voice to tap (e.g. caught in a collar choke from the crucifix).

Also, if you have an issue with something your training partner is doing, stop the roll and talk to them about it.

Good idea.

I updated the tapping section to include the possibility of tapping the mat with your feet when both hands are trapped. I also added a reminder to pay close attention to your partner and stop immediately when he taps.

Do you train in BJJ? What school do you go to?

Slamming and small joint manipulation are illegal in all of the major grappling arts (BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, Sambo, and Submission Grappling). If your school allows those, it is definitely not normal.

Digging an elbow into someone's thigh to break a guard open isn't jiu-jitsu. That's what Saulo says so who am I to disagree?

I'm not opposed to elbows in the thighs being allowed for rolling. That said, it is annoying, and doesn't work for opening guard vs anyone decent.

exactly. i don't know what all the uproar is about.

digging you elbows in is not a good practice. people shouldn't be doing it. it doesn't work and might get you triangle.

what about typing something up for those guys who are not-so-beginners, specifically, where i train (this doesn't happen anywhere else?), i have noticed way too many non-white-belts who still have not quite grasped the following:

• rolling in BJJ is not usually done with 100% effort.; focus on relaxing and applying technique properly.
  • rolling is not usually considered to be competitive; expect to trade taps with your partner and flow back and forth.
  • if your skill level is much greater than your partner it will probably be a great time to work your weak positions.
  • rolling isn't about winning or losing; if you tap out, you didn't "lose".
yes, these are quotes from various posts in this thread

what about typing something up for those guys who are not-so-beginners, specifically, where i train (this doesn't happen anywhere else?), i have noticed way too many non-white-belts who still have not quite grasped the following:

• rolling in BJJ is not usually done with 100% effort.; focus on relaxing and applying technique properly.
  • rolling is not usually considered to be competitive; expect to trade taps with your partner and flow back and forth.
  • if your skill level is much greater than your partner it will probably be a great time to work your weak positions.
  • rolling isn't about winning or losing; if you tap out, you didn't "lose".
yes, these are quotes from various posts in this thread

Unfortunately, if someone is a blue belt and has not yet grasped these things, I don't think a written guide would be of much use either. I think that is an issue the instructor would need to deal with.

Did anyone mention hygine? I hate rolling with a stinky guy. Also, don't roll sick, pleeease. If you have HIV, TB, HEP or any other really bad stuff don't roll! Finaly, trim your toe and finger nails both.

I rolled with a guy once who smelled like he hadn't changed his drawers in a few days. I tapped in the north south position just because I wasn't going to smell that for even a second.

As to the HIV, TB, HEP, etc. At least with the HIV and the HEP there are no documented cases of either being spread on the mat/playing field or what ever in sports. Neither are spread through sweat. I think the key is (and I would add it to this list) treat all bleeding incidents with "universal precaution". If you see blood stop. Clean it up properly and the bleeder doesn't come back on the mat until any chance of him bleeding all over again is eliminated.

Good guide, but you forgot to mention that digging your fingers into someone's anus is never legal. Seriously....you never know when a noob might think it's a good idea.

BTW...I have dropped by one BJJ school in the past that teaches to/allows heel hooks and even neck cranks for white belts (although thankfully slamming/small joint manipulation wasn't allowed), however those kind of schools clearly aren't the norm for BJJ.

The following moves are technically legal in BJJ competition at every level; however, they are sometimes considered to be dick moves. You should refrain from using these in normal rolling because there are better ways to accomplish the same result. These are typical beginner moves, and you will not progress very much if you rely on them during rolling.

Choke/neck crank combinations (some guillotines, some arm triangles, head squeezing, etc.)
Hard crossfacing (pushing directly on your partner's face)
Choking the jaw/face (applying a choke over top of your partner's tucked chin)
Smothering (using your body or gi to obstruct your partner's breathing)
Pressure points (digging elbows into the thigh, digging knuckles into the ribs, etc.)

Another thread remembered me that you shouled avoid extending your training partners with a triangle body lock.

Back