BJJ Rolling Guide for Beginners

i thought splicers are always illegal in tournaments as well?

I have a question...

Yesterday i was on my back doing spider guard with a Purple belt (he was standing over me). I let go his hands, held his feet and pushed his hips with my legs. He fell on his butt, then came up fast (kinda angry) and destroyed me.

Was that a dick move from my part?

I have a question...

Yesterday i was on my back doing spider guard with a Purple belt (he was standing over me). I let go his hands, held his feet and pushed his hips with my legs. He fell on his butt, then came up fast (kinda angry) and destroyed me.

Was that a dick move from my part?

No.

Bro - that sounds like a back sweep. Its jiu jitsu 101 and the first thing I teach our basic students when an opponent stands.

Now if you kicked him in the stomach vs bridging up into him it may be a little different.

Do you attend classes regularly? 2 months with no stripes when your pulling an unsuspecting sweep on a purple. Are you tall?

Hate to be necromancing, but I have a newbie question:

Is it allowed in BJJ (rolling or competition) to put pressure with your elbow on someone's face/jaw to open them up, or to press with your scull/forehead against their jaw?

Hate to be necromancing, but I have a newbie question:

Is it allowed in BJJ (rolling or competition) to put pressure with your elbow on someone's face/jaw to open them up, or to press with your scull/forehead against their jaw?

Well, I've had guys do "the shaver". Which is where they use the forearm in a shaving motion on the jaw to open up the neck. I've also had guys use their knee on my head/side of my face. I think in general these are kind of frowned upon during rolling in class and I don't do them.

My feeling on moves like this is that it's cool if an higher rank than me wants to do this to me. They are better, faster, they can do whatever they want. Actually, when upper belts do this kind of stuff I take it as a bit of mental victory- that my defense is causing them to use some brute force and potentially make a mistake in doing so. But I get a little irritated when a lower rank starts doing this kind of stuff to me and I usually stop letting them play around and at least put some control on them. A couple times I've even told newer guys, "dude, work on a technique, not so much on brute force".

I'd be interested to hear others' views on these types of moves by ranks higher and lower than you.

I would say that reaping the knee, pure neck cranks when done slowly and carefully, and heel hooks should be in the "sometimes allowed" section. Depending on the belt level, and whether the person was intended to compete or just learning for self-defense, they're definitely allowed at some no-gi schools

This is a brief guide to rolling (free sparring) in BJJ. If you are new to BJJ, you might not know exactly what is expected of you during rolling or even what the rules are. The purpose of this guide is to help clarify that. This guide applies to gi BJJ and the rules surrounding it. The no gi rules differ somewhat.

Unlike certain other grappling arts, rolling in BJJ is not usually done with 100% effort. Most of the time the focus is on relaxing and applying technique properly. As a default, use 50-75% of your effort and maintain control of your body at all times. If you wish to go 100%, ask your partner if that is okay before you roll. Do not go 100% without warning.

Rolling in BJJ is also not usually considered to be competitive. Expect to trade taps with your partner and flow back and forth. Do not attempt to win at all costs. When you are submitted, do not become angry or frustrated. Respect the fact that you will make mistakes and have to fight out of bad positions sometimes. Do not stop rolling just because your partner is getting the better of you.

Tapping is a very important skill to learn. When you tap, tap your partner repeatedly with your free hand hard enough that he can feel it. Do not tap the mat with your hand because your partner may not hear it. You may tap with your legs on the mat if you do not have a free hand. While you are tapping, say

I'm confused... this post ends with "While you are tapping, say..." Is there an attachment somewhere? Link? I don't see the "guide" everyone is talking about.

I'm confused... this post ends with "While you are tapping, say..." Is there an attachment somewhere? Link? I don't see the "guide" everyone is talking about.

Something I noticed when looking at old Sherdog threads is a lot of longer posts suddenly cut off. Not sure the reason, but it definitely can be annoying.

Something I noticed when looking at old Sherdog threads is a lot of longer posts suddenly cut off. Not sure the reason, but it definitely can be annoying.

It was the update, often the comments and follow up posts are out of order too. It is very annoying we lost a ton of good stuff.

Back