BJJ Rolling Guide for Beginners

i have jaw problems from a hockey injury and it sucks when they squeeze when going for the RNC. most of the guys know about it so im usually fine.

I'm not opposed to elbows in the thighs being allowed for rolling. That said, it is annoying, and doesn't work for opening guard vs anyone decent.

Grabbing and twisting the foot does not always=heelhook...

I clarified with "heelhooks/twisting leg locks". That should cover the other instances such as twisting kneebars, etc.

I'm not opposed to elbows in the thighs being allowed for rolling. That said, it is annoying, and doesn't work for opening guard vs anyone decent.

Every move in the sometimes allowed list is legal in BJJ competition at some level. It is not really the fact that the moves are illegal that they got grouped into that category. It has more to do with the fact that a lot of people don't think they are good to use during rolling, even if they are technically legal.

When you see someone digging the elbows into the thigh to break guard, you think to yourself "Man, why is that guy trying to do that? Doesn't he know that isn't a very useful technique? He's never going to learn to break the guard if he keeps trying that all the time." I don't think you want to strive for that kind of reaction during rolling even if the move is technically legal, which is why I placed it in that category.

Basically, you do not want to be known as the elbow digging, face choking, gi smothering new guy. People are going to think that you are a hopeless spaz, even if technically all of those moves are legal under the BJJ rules at every level.

This is good, someone should sticky this.

After crossfacing is moved to always legal of course:icon_chee

I updated the part about crossfacing accordingly.

I put light/moderate crossfacing into the always legal category, and I listed hard crossfacing as being in the sometimes legal category.

I would move neck cranks and heel hooks into the "sometimes allowed" category, along with a clarification that they are legal at certain levels of no-gi BJJ but are usually illegal in the gi.

I would move neck cranks and heel hooks into the "sometimes allowed" category, along with a clarification that they are legal at certain levels of no-gi BJJ but are usually illegal in the gi.

The guide only applies to gi BJJ. I have a sentence in the first paragraph that indicates that the no gi rules are different and are not covered in the guide.

I guess, I only crossface in no gi.

Also I don't use the elbow pass, but I feel like its fine, I just end up locking on a triangle when they do.

see that is what happens to me constantly, I have given up that pass for that exact reason.

Wyou think to yourself "Man, why is that guy trying to do that? Doesn't he know that isn't a very useful technique? He's never going to learn to break the guard if he keeps trying that all the time."

That's exactly what I think. Anyway, great post and discussion.

I am white belt, and of course I can/will ask my instructors for clarification but, how do you feel about pushing your forearm into your partners neck when they are on top of you in side control as a way to create space?

That's perfectly acceptable.

i have jaw problems from a hockey injury and it sucks when they squeeze when going for the RNC. most of the guys know about it so im usually fine.

I have similar jaw problems. I don't expect my rolling partners to remember my medical issues. When someone gets me around the jaw with an RNC attempt that's tight enough to hurt my jaw, I tap.

see that is what happens to me constantly, I have given up that pass for that exact reason.

Usually when people do the "elbow in thigh" break, they should be doing the "knee-in-butt" break instead. There is a big different between the two breaks, but they look the same to noobs, which is why they try to pry open the elbows so much. I used to have given up on that knee-in-butt break, but now it is one break I use a lot!

Usually when people do the "elbow in thigh" break, they should be doing the "knee-in-butt" break instead. There is a big different between the two breaks, but they look the same to noobs, which is why they try to pry open the elbows so much. I used to have given up on that knee-in-butt break, but now it is one break I use a lot!

The knee-in-butt break is a very good break. As Frodo pointed out, it just has almost nothing to do with digging your elbows into the thighs.

The proper guard break involves controlling your partner's hips and using your own hips to generate the necessary pressure. Using your elbows in the thigh is much weaker and won't break the guard against anyone good. Although technically legal, it is not something that you want to be using during rolling because you won't make any progress.

The idea behind the post is good. Keep in mind that many if not most beginners(and even not-so-beginners) throw all of this out the window.

The big thing to think about is that jiu-jitsu is a martial art that is centered around using proper technique rather than relying on being stronger or tougher. What's the point of smashing someone purely with your superior strength? You might as well just lift more weights. It never hurts to be strong and in shape, but that's not what jiu-jitsu is about.

With that, remember that training in a courteous manner with the idea of jiu-jitsu rather than winning in mind will also help keep you and your partners injury free.

Finally, wash your gi and yourself. Don't be Mr. Stinky Disease.

Tapping is a very important skill to learn. When you tap, tap your partner repeatedly with your free hand hard enough that he can feel it. Do not tap the mat because your partner may not hear it. While you are tapping, say “tap” in a clear voice at the same time. Tap as soon as you begin to feel the effects of a submission. Do not wait until the last second to tap. Do not cry out in pain at any time unless you intend to tap.

Perhaps add something like the below to the tap section:

You must pay attention to your training partner and let go of any hold or position if they tap you, tap the mat, say tap or make a yelping noise. Note that some people will tap with their leg against the mat if they cannot use their arms or voice to tap (e.g. caught in a collar choke from the crucifix).

Also, if you have an issue with something your training partner is doing, stop the roll and talk to them about it.

As a noob I ask:

When should I ask a question? After I get subbed and I want to know how to get out/avoid?

As a noob I ask:

When should I ask a question? After I get subbed and I want to know how to get out/avoid?

It depends on who you roll with. Some people hate answering questions all the time. Others only want you to ask questions the roll. It depends if they are training for a competition or not, too. Usually I don't mind questions at all as long as you aren't going overboard.

Thanks to the OP for this! As a guy only about 2 months in, I personally struggle with going '50-75%'. I often find myself going balls-out and have to try and chill. I'm fortunate that the guys at my club are a decent bunch and always point out things to help and such.

Back