BJJ Camp: White to Blue belt in 3 months

One problem that I have seen with getting a lot of hours in during a short period of time is a physical ability that exceeds mental ability.
I agree with this a lot. The brain needs some time to absorb information. For this reason, I think a guy that trains 3 days a week for 2 years will have a better understanding of the game than a guy that trains 6 days a week for 1 year, even if their rolling ability is very similar. His brain has had all that extra time absorbing the techniques.

I also think one thing being overlooked is that someone that doesn't train is not very likely to spend 3 months straight training. So you're likely not going to get someone with zero BJJ or grappling experience devoting 3 months of their life is a tropical paradise for something they had no real exposure to.

If for example someone already had 6-12 months of experience (which is much more likely) then that 3 months of very intensive training could likely put them over the edge.

shouldercharge said:
whats the average time to go from white to blue in brazil training a couple times a day? eg, say for guys who go and train at Gordos hrough connection rio what would be a reasonable time for them to exppect to get a blue?
There's a pretty decent athlete here who had a month of no-gi experience before coming to Rio. Has been training 2x per day at Gordo's, five days per week, for approx six months. Four stripe white belt.

I consider this a scheme.

the guy will give you a belt, but you will be a lousy blue belt, easily defeated by any decent white belt, who will only be able to submit terrible white belts, and stand no chances against 90% of normal blue belts. there will be exceptions, of course, but these will be like 10% of the cases, usually people who already have some grappling experience.

a good timing for a blue belt is 6-18 monts, considering you train an average of 3 times a week. but 6 months would be for guys with some grappling experience, who will only need to make adjustments, or phenoms (they are rare, but tehy exist). less than one year would be exceptions, guys who are very dedicated, talented, and athletic (this counts a lot in blue belt level).

average should be between one year and 18 months.

the guy will give you a belt, but you will be a lousy blue belt, easily defeated by any decent white belt, who will only be able to submit terrible white belts, and stand no chances against 90% of normal blue belts. there will be exceptions, of course, but these will be like 10% of the cases, usually people who already have some grappling experience.

a good timing for a blue belt is 6-18 monts, considering you train an average of 3 times a week. but 6 months would be for guys with some grappling experience, who will only need to make adjustments, or phenoms (they are rare, but tehy exist). less than one year would be exceptions, guys who are very dedicated, talented, and athletic (this counts a lot in blue belt level).

Then can you explain the difference between going 3x a week for a year, or 3x a day for 3 months?

Then can you explain the difference between going 3x a week for a year, or 3x a day for 3 months?
Perhaps i'm misunderstanding your question, but I believe that this training camp involves your going to 7 classes per week (5 Gi classes,2 NoGi).

If someone trains hard and gets their blue belt in only three months, good for them. I would take that hard training, in shape individual, over a lazy blue belt any day of the week when it came to rumble time.

I love how everyone here is a Black belt... If a black belt gives you a blue and decides that you've earned it then that's all there is to it. Training daily for 3 months straight.... Yeah most blues dont even train this frequent.

Yeah cause belts are given on the number of people you can tap in your gym and not based on skills and techniques required to be a blue belt... Either you have talent or you work hard at it. Which in this case is training daily.

A blue belt in three months? Royce must give a lot of seminars there. #rimshot

Typical american fat slob mentality, you have to have what you want when you want it.

This is in Thailand not the US.

I train in Singapore, and i heard about this a while ago. Not a big fan, if you aren't competing (where you have a legit chance to test your skills against people of your own rank) i think this is too fast. If your a beast on the tourney scene it could be justified IMO.

But making it cut and dry like this seems fishy.

Typical american fat slob mentality, you have to have what you want when you want it.
These people fly across the world and join an intensive training camp in order to progress in the most efficient way possible. Your trolling is weak.

But that's the problem. Seminars are about sitting around and listening to the guest talk. 4 hours of controlled drilling will blast your muscle memory through the roof and that's what matters.

Bjj classes are inefficient. Why is everyone surprised that it can be done in 3 months?

Your normal white belt comes in and works a completely random move which has nothing to do with building off of what he is already struggling with.

Jiu Jitsu demands white belts learn the basics by accident. Like a big hunting contest.

"oh, your double under pass is weak? Sorry, we are practicing xguard sweeps today. Oh you already got that merit badge? Don't worry, this can be review. Oh, you don't understand the RNC yet? Well get to it eventually. Come in 3 months from now when we cover the back series. Make sure you come on day 2. The other days we are covering D'arce chokes. "

How is someone supposed to systematically learn that way?

But if you brought in a bunch of white belts, start them at ground zero and review their progress at 30 days to start individualizjng drills, it would be hard to believe that you wouldn't be at a blue belt level by day 90.

At the end of the day, I think the majority of BJJers don't like the idea of guys earning legit status faster than they did in the past. People want n00bs to toil at the lower ranks even if they lnow the system is flawed.

Pretty pathetic.

Sorry for opening up an old topic but, but this is absolutely correct. I dont give a shit if anyone doesnt agree either because this is without a doubt how it is in bjj classes now. There needs to be more structure.

I don't understand why people want to rush to blue belt.

I'd rather be a very very good white belt, than a bad blue belt. When your ready, your ready.

Sorry for opening up an old topic but, but this is absolutely correct. I dont give a shit if anyone doesnt agree either because this is without a doubt how it is in bjj classes now. There needs to be more structure.

That's exactly how I feel too... I know that people like to bash the gracie academy for the e-belts, but I envie their detailed and structured aproach...:icon_neut Why isn't everybody aproaching teaching bjj in a similar manner is beyond my understanding...

Totally agree with this, I learned De La Riva sweeps on my first class.

Yup. I convinced a friend who wanted to start a martial art to benefit him in his security work and potential future as a police officer to try my gym out.
The first week was DLR sweeps. He wanted to learn takedowns and top control, so it's not surprising that he stopped coming after a couple of weeks of random guard sweeps and guard submissions.

what's wrong with that?

Yup. I convinced a friend who wanted to start a martial art to benefit him in his security work and potential future as a police officer to try my gym out.
The first week was DLR sweeps. He wanted to learn takedowns and top control, so it's not surprising that he stopped coming after a couple of weeks of random guard sweeps and guard submissions.

it sounds like you probably should have recommended a judo club instead.

Agreed. I think that basics should be taught every class, along with other stuff as well.

Back