BJJ Camp: White to Blue belt in 3 months

The whole idea seems a bit fishy, but people represent their own belt. Let them get their belt in 3 months and let them get smashed wherever they train. At the end of the day I still sleep comfortably.

whats the average time to go from white to blue in brazil training a couple times a day? eg, say for guys who go and train at Gordos hrough connection rio what would be a reasonable time for them to exppect to get a blue?

I would like to know this too... has anyone done this in Brazil?

The person has the hours.

Unless Jiu Jitsu improvement is based off of the cycles of the moon the number of months training isn't as important as the number of hours.

I can sort of agree, but at the same time, there is only so much you can absorb in a single day.

I've done some seminars that were 4 and 5 hours and by the end, it's not really effective anymore.

There is something to be said for having enough off time from training for your mind to wrap around what you are learning. I do really well, for instance, implementing techniques that I watch two or three days before I have my first sparring of the week on Tuesday. I'll watch them and then think them through for days, applying the technique a number of times before I even get to class.

Thanks for your thoughts -
Its actually 84 classes over the 3 months.
If a regular student trained 2 x a week for 2 years it's 192 classes (take out easter holiday, christmas, injuries etc etc) maybe around 180 classes at best over 2 years.

We believe given the structure, syllabus, trainer and in Phuket you ONLY train (no work or worries) that we can achieve this.
But as we have mentioned. Only time and results will tell.

That is very intensive training. You are talking about 7 training per week. Non stop for 3 months if my maths are correct. You can easily get a white belt beat blue belt at comps after such intensive training. Maybe not all the blue belt but still it is a lot of mats time.

I can sort of agree, but at the same time, there is only so much you can absorb in a single day.

I've done some seminars that were 4 and 5 hours and by the end, it's not really effective anymore.

There is something to be said for having enough off time from training for your mind to wrap around what you are learning. I do really well, for instance, implementing techniques that I watch two or three days before I have my first sparring of the week on Tuesday. I'll watch them and then think them through for days, applying the technique a number of times before I even get to class.

But that's the problem. Seminars are about sitting around and listening to the guest talk. 4 hours of controlled drilling will blast your muscle memory through the roof and that's what matters.

Bjj classes are inefficient. Why is everyone surprised that it can be done in 3 months?

Your normal white belt comes in and works a completely random move which has nothing to do with building off of what he is already struggling with.

Jiu Jitsu demands white belts learn the basics by accident. Like a big hunting contest.

"oh, your double under pass is weak? Sorry, we are practicing xguard sweeps today. Oh you already got that merit badge? Don't worry, this can be review. Oh, you don't understand the RNC yet? Well get to it eventually. Come in 3 months from now when we cover the back series. Make sure you come on day 2. The other days we are covering D'arce chokes. "

How is someone supposed to systematically learn that way?

But if you brought in a bunch of white belts, start them at ground zero and review their progress at 30 days to start individualizjng drills, it would be hard to believe that you wouldn't be at a blue belt level by day 90.

At the end of the day, I think the majority of BJJers don't like the idea of guys earning legit status faster than they did in the past. People want n00bs to toil at the lower ranks even if they lnow the system is flawed.

Pretty pathetic.

But that's the problem. Seminars are about sitting around and listening to the guest talk. 4 hours of controlled drilling will blast your muscle memory through the roof and that's what matters.

Bjj classes are inefficient. Why is everyone surprised that it can be done in 3 months?

Your normal white belt comes in and works a completely random move which has nothing to do with building off of what he is already struggling with.

Jiu Jitsu demands white belts learn the basics by accident. Like a big hunting contest.

"oh, your double under pass is weak? Sorry, we are practicing xguard sweeps today. Oh you already got that merit badge? Don't worry, this can be review. Oh, you don't understand the RNC yet? Well get to it eventually. Come in 3 months from now when we cover the back series. Make sure you come on day 2. The other days we are covering D'arce chokes. "

But if you brought in a bunch of white belts, start them at ground zero and review their progress at 30 days to start individualizjng drills, it would be hard to believe that you wouldn't be at a blue belt level by day 90.

At the end of the day, I think the majority of BJJers don't like the idea of guys earning legit status faster than they did in the past. People want n00bs to toil at the lower ranks even if they lnow the system is flawed.

Pretty pathetic.
Where is the Mother fucking Like button for this post?

There is no way that 95% of people would be a competitive blue belts, even if they attended all of the classes over the 3 months. Some people just don't have the capacity to learn that quickly.

If they were pre-selecting members based on athletic ability and dedication, then I see no reason why a group couldn't be put together where a bunch of newbies train competitively with strong instructors and a small teacher-to-student ratio to become blue belts.

There is no way that 95% of people would be a competitive blue belts, even if they attended all of the classes over the 3 months. Some people just don't have the capacity to learn that quickly.

If they were pre-selecting members based on athletic ability and dedication, then I see no reason why a group couldn't be put together where a bunch of newbies train competitively with strong instructors and a small teacher-to-student ratio to become blue belts.

How do you know? Have you ever trained someone for 3 months straight working isometricaly on his weak points?

Pretty pathetic.
but how would you run a class with individualized drilling?

Pretty pathetic.

Please don't class me in with this lot.

If a person can reach an appropriate skill level at 90 days, then great.

My concern is simply with skill retention with such an intense schedule of training. For some people, I think it would work fine. I question whether it would work for everyone.

One problem that I have seen with getting a lot of hours in during a short period of time is a physical ability that exceeds mental ability.

Getting good at executing techniques in rolling is primarily a function of hours. It is not hard to believe that someone could get up to blue belt level in that respect in 3 months if they were training full time. It's actually harder for me to believe that they would not.

However, I think there are other things that go along with rank besides executing techniques in rolling. As a higher belt, you have to be able to guide others and just be wiser in BJJ. You have to know how to act when you go other places and what the right etiquette is. You have to know how to handle an injury. There are a lot of other things.

I have had a few good training partners who were training full time and thus advancing quickly. Although I started ahead of them, they caught up quickly.

However, even though they had caught up to me technically and physically, I was still able to beat them for much longer by breaking them mentally. They just didn't have the time in yet to be confident. I could frustrate them with unconventional attacks that they hadn't seen yet, make them lose their composure, and then pick them apart. They just had not quite matured mentally enough to stay calm under pressure and not be afraid so that they could execute their technical ability.

Eventually these guys learn that too and become absolute monsters. But there is a little lag that I think only time can fix. A 3 month blue belt with 250 hours is probably going to lose a lot to a 1 year blue belt with 250 hours for that reason. I have seen that type of matchup before, and the two are most definitely not equal all things considered.

Pretty pathetic.

Great post.

Please don't class me in with this lot.

If a person can reach an appropriate skill level at 90 days, then great.

My concern is simply with skill retention with such an intense schedule of training. For some people, I think it would work fine. I question whether it would work for everyone.

The big hesitation I have with quick promotions is all the other stuff that goes with rank.

I think people underestimate how much trouble a guy who hasn't been around long enough to learn how the community works can get into as a higher rank. I've seen it go really badly a few times where the guy genuinely didn't know that he was doing stuff that would piss off others, but because he was higher ranked nobody gave him the benefit of the doubt. They just figured he was being an asshole on purpose.

The end result is a lot of trouble and enemies made. It can eventually have a negative effect on actual rolling performance due to a lack of training partners. Other guys are hesitant to train or associate with them because of the perception of constant political issues.

As a blue belt, this isn't really a big deal anymore. But extend this logic up to brown belt or something and these can become serious issues.

The big hesitation I have with quick promotions is all the other stuff that goes with rank.

I think people underestimate how much trouble a guy who hasn't been around long enough to learn how the community works can get into as a higher rank. I've seen it go really badly a few times where the guy genuinely didn't know that he was doing stuff that would piss off others, but because he was higher ranked nobody gave him the benefit of the doubt. They just figured he was being an asshole on purpose.

The end result is a lot of trouble and enemies made. It can eventually have a negative effect on actual rolling performance due to a lack of training partners. Other guys are hesitant to train or associate with them because of the perception of constant political issues.

As a blue belt, this isn't really a big deal anymore. But extend this logic up to brown belt or something and these can become serious issues.

I follow your thinking. It think I was trying to suggest the same thing, but just didn't come out and say it.

There are things that you learn, over time, that make you a better representative of the art. It simply can't be taught in a quick class.

I don't see that sort of learning though as critical for a blue belt as for purple and higher.

honestly if they had it setup so that you only rolled one day a week and the rest was pure drilling I could see this working out

How do you know? Have you ever trained someone for 3 months straight working isometricaly on his weak points?

I know because 95% of people I've met don't have the type of commitment required for that type of strenuous learning. So to think that 95% of average people would not be able to commit to it is not much of a stretch.

As someone who teaches BJJ, I would assume that you think abilities vary greatly from person to person and that if you plucked 100 people off of the street that were interested in BJJ that some of them would not see 3 months of training to completion.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's unlikely for a group of average people at that high of a success rate.

Depends on you and your school really.
My school grades twice a year so would take longer to get ranked up.
Whereas other schools don't do grading, they just present belt when they feel your ready.
That way you can get graded heaps faster-but to me I would rather be wearing a white belt with a few stripes and have blue belt technique.

I went white to blue in 14 months and I'm very dedicated to the art. Hard to believe someone can get their blue belt in 3 months and go into a tournament and even win one match in the blue belt division or even the white belt division.

Here is a list of average blue belt requirements:

http://southernjiujitsu.com/Files/Rickson Gracie BB Requirements.html

If you had a team of people who were 100% committed with a strong athletic background and tailored the schedule to each person, then they could probably comprehend and demonstrate these techniques in a live roll.

The problem is that you probably won't find people who meet the criteria for a student of that calibur or a specialized schedule for each person's learning style.

Hello,
Is there anyone who has completed this program at this time?
Just curious to see if someone who has completed the program would post a review based on their experience since the programs had time to run at least two cycles now.
Thanks.

Back