BJJ Camp: White to Blue belt in 3 months

kareepama

White Belt
Reaction score
Possible? Or money making scheme?

3 months at 5 classes a a week.

http://phukettopteam.com/news/post.php?s=2012-09-26-new-3-month-white-to-blue-belt-bjj-training-camp

IBJJF approved 3rd degree Carlson Gracie Jnr/Brazilian Top Team Black belt Prof. Olavo Abreu is heading a program that will see students sign up to a 3 month intensive training camp.

Phuket Top Team and Prof. Olavo Abreu are offering a 95% success rate on grading from white to blue at the end of the 3 months. With the program in place, the world class training and the consistent training... our students will be very strong blue belts when they grade.

Money making scheme.

Some people can get legit blue belts in 3 months with that amount of training, most can't though. Seems like they'll just be handing out belts after your 3 months as long as you aren't still atrocious. I'm willing to bet most of them would walk into other legit gyms and get steam rolled by most of the gyms 3/4 stripe white belts who are similar in size/athletic ability.

Giving someone a belt because they complete a " program " sets off instant alarm bells.

With the whole getting a blue belt from online gracie academy, blue belts don't really mean anything these days.

The amount of training is not the most important part of your belt. I'd say it's just 20%
It depends on you.

I took ~1 year n' 3 months to achieve the blue. Guys like Vinny, Buchecha and BJ do it faster.
Some other guys at my gym, who don't learn that quickly and don't have some "natural" body movements for BJJ, got blue in ~ 3 or 4 years...

So, IMO, this is not a good idea. Some guys will learn what they need in 3 months, 5 days a week...most of them won't.

It's 5 gi classes and 2 classes of nogi or wrestling. So 7 classes a week, at 1.5 hours each, is 126 hours over the three months.

We require 25 classes per stripe for a white belt, so from white to blue, they should have put in at least 125 hours, but it's expected to take about around just over a year, and that is based on 2 classes a week.

So pretty much its the same requirements as my school, but all heavily loaded into three months.

I would imagine they are probably trying to build a competition team, so that will likely be a three month camp of very focused game development. (I am assuming that because of the inclusion of wrestling as an option)

Whether or not it will be successful likely depends on the focus of the students.

For me you, I don't think you can put a time on a belt. Some people take longer to grasp techniques. Ultimately it comes down to how your instructor wants to promote. With that amount of training though, they should be beasts. Key word "they".

Is it possible to attend a training camp where a coach focuses on all the skills an individual needs systematically through proper muscle memory building drills, and have the student a legit blue belt in 3 months?

Absolutely.

I think BJJ training is generally speaking poorly thought out and relatively scatter shot with an unsteady focus. If things were streamlined I think most dedicated players would be getting their blue belts in less than 6 months.

Imagine if a good bjj coach took the gracie combatives curriculum and personalized it for each individual student along with adequate levels of sparring. Think of how quickly people would develop.

Well according to google's conversion, 24000 baht is 781 USD, so $260US a month.

That's Marcelo money.

Is it possible to attend a training camp where a coach focuses on all the skills an individual needs systematically through proper muscle memory building drills, and have the student a legit blue belt in 3 months?

Absolutely.

I think BJJ training is generally speaking poorly thought out and relatively scatter shot with an unsteady focus. If things were streamlined I think most dedicated players would be getting their blue belts in less than 6 months.

Imagine if a good bjj coach took the gracie combatives curriculum and personalized it for each individual student along with adequate levels of sparring. Think of how quickly people would develop.

That's what I figured too. Sure it takes your average guy a year or more to get the hang of grappling, but thats maybe 2 or 3 times a week, with an armbar from mount one day, then a random guard pass the next day. Maybe they cover a technique or sequence for a week straight, but next week it'll probably be something entirely different. This kind of unstructured format of course invites a longer learning curve.

I am assuming that they are aiming this at athletes already training in the gym or area. Maybe guys and gals who are there training Muay Thai, and want to start developing a ground game to fight in MMA.

It really doesn't seem so outlandish. It is expensive, but I'm certain that it could wind up very good for those who do commit to it.

I posted about this in another thread, and in regards to this topic, I've wondered if there's a diminishing return at a certain point. I mean, all things being equal, is a guy who trains 6x/week for 3yrs, gonna be better than a guy whose been training 3x/week for 6yrs? What have the experienced guys found to be the case? Just curious.

I posted about this in another thread, and in regards to this topic, I've wondered if there's a diminishing return at a certain point. I mean, all things being equal, is a guy who trains 6x/week for 3yrs, gonna be better than a guy whose been training 3x/week for 6yrs? What have the experienced guys found to be the case? Just curious.

i doubt a man could train for 6x a week for a year let alone 3. fatigue & injuries will be a factor. especially injuries.

I see thats the minimum training requirements,but they actually offer training twice a day(including no-gi and wrestling) 6 days a week so those that commit to going to every possible session for the three months may actually come away solid blue belts.

whats the average time to go from white to blue in brazil training a couple times a day? eg, say for guys who go and train at Gordos hrough connection rio what would be a reasonable time for them to exppect to get a blue?

Way I figure it, if you survive the 7 classes a week for 3 months, you deserve a blue belt.

I agree- I would love to see how many people can stick with the program.

In my experience, very rarely will you find someone that can train that much- especially beginners.

i doubt a man could train for 6x a week for a year let alone 3. fatigue & injuries will be a factor. especially injuries.
You have successfully gotten my goat.

People train 3x a day - with 1 being hard, 1 medium and 1 light - all the dang time. It's pretty much the only way to get to the elite level. Multiply that by 5 or 6 for the full week and you get something like 50, 60 gym hours a week with quite a bit of that being drilling, sparring and getting stronger.

I agree- I would love to see how many people can stick with the program.

In my experience, very rarely will you find someone that can train that much- especially beginners.

Notice that this is being set up in a Muay Thai School in Thailand. If they have any fighters who have travelled there from across the globe, they are going to likely be serious athletes who commit to intense training. Maybe beginners at BJJ, but dedicated to fighting.

I don't think the target market is a few local dudes who want to take up BJJ.

You have successfully gotten my goat.

People train 3x a day - with 1 being hard, 1 medium and 1 light - all the dang time. It's pretty much the only way to get to the elite level. Multiply that by 5 or 6 for the full week and you get something like 50, 60 gym hours a week with quite a bit of that being drilling, sparring and getting stronger.

Apparently you are not familiar with wrestlers. Many of them train 6-7 days a week with multiple sessions. I doubt you would find a respectable wrestling team that only trains 3 times a week, and only hard one time a week.

Absolutely.

Totally agree.Most BJJ instruction is horribly thought out and not efficient for learning a technique well enough to use it.Most of the techniques people us is through trial and error on their own.Honestly,I don't think I could use 10% of the techniques that were taught in class.The "Learn 3 techniques,alternate practicing them for 10 minutes, then roll" type of class isn't efficient for learning.If they are learning and intensively drilling 2 guard passes,3 submissions,3 sweeps,and working escapes,I can totally see a white belt being a decent blue.

Ha, Bullshit. I had a training partner who trained 7 days a week for 5 months straight (obviously he was in school) but he's CERTAINLY no blue belt. He learns fast and is very open-minded, but still. So bullshit to this training camp.

Ha, Bullshit. I had a training partner who trained 7 days a week for 5 months straight (obviously he was in school) but he's CERTAINLY no blue belt. He learns fast and is very open-minded, but still. So bullshit to this training camp.

How are your classes structured?

I dont think its BS. I have seen MANY dudes come in, get the shit kicked out of them by blue belts, and and in one month are not getting tapped too often, and by 3 months are tapping a lot of blue belts that arent pussies.

Back