Bjj black belt in a wrestling tournament

Don't say facts Uchi, saying so makes you a hater according to reddit.

So does this mean I can go to the local NAGA tournament and beat up some white and blue belts in the intermediate division and then brag about it (or have friends brag about it) on reddit like I won Pan Ams, then when called out and explained calmly to that all I did was beat a few hobbyists.. backtrack and say well I'm not saying that I/he would win mundials but isn't it super super cool to see wrestling used in bjj. And you're just a hater #thingshipstersonreddittaughtme

I wasn't actually annoyed about this whole thing (excluding an argument I got into with someone about something else on Reddit) until now. Props to the dude, but saying that this whole thing is being blown out of proportion and that it wasn't "elite" people he beat isn't hating

Don't lnow in the US, but There are plenty of eastern european wrestlers attending the intermediate division at Naga's tournaments in Europe.(only competed at Naga germany twice and Amien once but was surprised by the number of tough wrestlers at the german one. (got my ass kicked by a polish one last time) Not that easy to win imo.

Don't lnow in the US, but There are plenty of eastern european wrestlers attending the intermediate division at Naga's tournaments in Europe.(only competed at Naga germany twice and Amien once but was surprised by the number of tough wrestlers at the german one. (got my ass kicked by a polish one last time) Not that easy to win imo.
I don't know of right now but it ised to be that wrestlers walked through most beginner and intermediate tournaments and the people in them would complain their ass off. It's probably starting to change. But my overall point should be clear if you're not quibbling over semantics

Idk why people assume this guy has to have had wrestling experience... hes a bjj black belt. if he doesnt have good fundamentals when it comes to framing, changing levels, penetrating, closing the distance then he shouldnt really be a black belt should he?

Idk why people assume this guy has to have had wrestling experience... hes a bjj black belt. if he doesnt have good fundamentals when it comes to framing, changing levels, penetrating, closing the distance then he shouldnt really be a black belt should he?

We aren't assuming, Robbert Maloff himself has said he has been training with Nick Spatola since 2006. I give Maloff credit for using wrestling to enhance his BJJ, rather than writing wrestling off as nontechnical. I think the people who are angry, are not angry because he did good, rather because the article and video makes it seem like he had no wrestling experience what so ever, which is not the case. To be fair, it may have been the Jiu Jitsu Times article, rather than Maloff himself who portrayed it this way.

As someone who considers myself a wrestler I am actually happy that Maloff was open minded enough to see that wrestling has something to offer, and it can be used to enhance peoples Jiu Jitsu. The article was kind of misleading though, and I do not know who is at fault for it.

We aren't assuming, Robbert Maloff himself has said he has been training with Nick Spatola since 2006. I give Maloff credit for using wrestling to enhance his BJJ, rather than writing wrestling off as nontechnical. I think the people who are angry, are not angry because he did good, rather because the article and video makes it seem like he had no wrestling experience what so ever, which is not the case. To be fair, it may have been the Jiu Jitsu Times article, rather than Maloff himself who portrayed it this way.

As someone who considers myself a wrestler I am actually happy that Maloff was open minded enough to see that wrestling has something to offer, and it can be used to enhance peoples Jiu Jitsu. The article was kind of misleading though, and I do not know who is at fault for it.
Wait? He's been training wrestling ten years??? Hahahaha wow. But "he has no wrestling brah" hahahaha

This is silly nonsense. His foundations might be BJJ but that guy has been wrestling for a decade. He might be a "nonwrestler" in the sense that he hasn't competed much, but that would be like Jon Jones saying he's a BJJ whitebelt. Technically true but clearly misleading.

The more I train the more I realize how useless labels are. We're all just grappers. Some people train with different rulesets, focuses, and attires which makes them better at specific aspects of grappling, but ultimately the label doesn't matter. If I learn a double leg from BJJ but then use it at wrestling practice am I using a wrestling move or a BJJ move. If a judo guy does an armbar on a BJJ guy that he learned in sambo class what discipline gets the credit? Ultimately the labels are pointless, we're all just trying to get better at controlling and breaking the human body without using striking. And the dick waving contests we're seeing between styles is also stupid, if you wanna be a tough guy learn to strike and do MMA.

I don't know of right now but it ised to be that wrestlers walked through most beginner and intermediate tournaments and the people in them would complain their ass off. It's probably starting to change. But my overall point should be clear if you're not quibbling over semantics

Its clear.
Was just pointing that in Nagas the tournaments I did there were grapplers from all styles and actually a lot of wrestlers.
And winning at intermediary in the 76/82/88kg category is not an easy fit by any means even if you are a 'wrestler'.

Its clear.
Was just pointing that in Nagas the tournaments I did there were grapplers from all styles and actually a lot of wrestlers.
And winning at intermediary in the 76/82/88kg category is not an easy fit by any means even if you are a 'wrestler'.
My bad for challenging the honor of NAGA:D.

My bad for challenging the honor of NAGA:D.

Ahahah:) Eveything's relative for sure. I don't know your level in grappling anyway, maybe you could come and wreck anybody without breaking a sweat..

Last edited:
Back