Bjj black belt in a wrestling tournament

What sort of 'wrestling tournament' is this? one man in a singlet? the other without a singlet, and without boots...

Also, he should have got dq'd for the kimura grip/using a kimura for a sweep. You're allowed NO submissions in wrestling, or even using it to gain an advantageous position. Any good ref would see this, he clearly used a kimura (attacking the shoulder) to sweep the wrestler.

If a high level wrestler enters a high level bjj tournament, he could do well with takedowns and points for only so long, but he would have to engage and probably get tapped out. If a high level bjj fighter entered a high level wrestling tournament, he would get crushed as they don't train standup wrestling nearly enough as they should...

This is almost as bad as that time a Gracie (I forgot his name) beat a greco roman wrestler, in freestyle.

What sort of 'wrestling tournament' is this? one man in a singlet? the other without a singlet, and without boots...

Also, he should have got dq'd for the kimura grip/using a kimura for a sweep. You're allowed NO submissions in wrestling, or even using it to gain an advantageous position. Any good ref would see this, he clearly used a kimura (attacking the shoulder) to sweep the wrestler.

If a high level wrestler enters a high level bjj tournament, he could do well with takedowns and points for only so long, but he would have to engage and probably get tapped out. If a high level bjj fighter entered a high level wrestling tournament, he would get crushed as they don't train standup wrestling nearly enough as they should...

This is almost as bad as that time a Gracie (I forgot his name) beat a greco roman wrestler, in freestyle.

wasnt shultz famous for using the kimura? he used the kimura as a sweep not a sub, why is it ilegal? he used it in 2 different matches, and wasnt called for the use of it.

why are you using IF IF IF, this guy just got his ass on the line, an none of the IF you are proposing happened.

hes the exception to the rule though, most bjj black belts will get crush in a wrestling tournaments.

wasnt shultz famous for using the kimura? he used the kimura as a sweep not a sub, why is it ilegal? he used it in 2 different matches, and wasnt called for the use of it.

why are you using IF IF IF, this guy just got his ass on the line, an none of the IF you are proposing happened.

hes the exception to the rule though, most bjj black belts will get crush in a wrestling tournaments.
He did, you can see him extend the arm at various points in the video, in fact every time he goes for the sweep, it is like applying a toe hold in order to get someone to roll over, which would be illegal in wrestling. You're only allowed to hold limbs in uncomfortable positions, never to extend/bend/apply pressure - which this guy does to sweep.

Regardless of what happened, this guy was a wrestler, a bjj black belt doesn't have a quick shot, good sprawl and good pummeling skills as this guy does. It is obvious he is an experienced wrestler. But this tournament.. is not a high level tournament like he stated

he did in fact get DQ'd for it

This tournament was near where I'm from, it was an open tournament, none of the people he beat had trained full time in years and were just doing it for fun. The bjj black belt in question is a pro athlete training full time with DI club coaches in the Spatola wrestling club. And like you said the refing was iffy.

I don't have a problem with the dude, props to him for showing up. But it was in no way the accomplishment people are trying to make it

This tournament was near where I'm from, it was an open tournament, none of the people he beat had trained full time in years and were just doing it for fun. The bjj black belt in question is a pro athlete training full time with DI club coaches in the Spatola wrestling club. And like you said the refing was iffy.

I don't have a problem with the dude, props to him for showing up. But it was in no way the accomplishment people are trying to make it
i thought it would be something like this, I can see the BJJ guy had obviously trained wrestling, he seems to be pretty comfortable in it.

Fun tournaments are always fun to go to, but if this guy was to go to a tournament with people training full time and actively wrestling, the results would be much different. But props to the guy, but saying 'BJJ black belt in wrestling' is a little silly, it is possible to win, but you can definitely tell that he has a wrestling background.

i thought it would be something like this, I can see the BJJ guy had obviously trained wrestling, he seems to be pretty comfortable in it.

Fun tournaments are always fun to go to, but if this guy was to go to a tournament with people training full time and actively wrestling, the results would be much different. But props to the guy, but saying 'BJJ black belt in wrestling' is a little silly, it is possible to win, but you can definitely tell that he has a wrestling background.
Yeah, people on Reddit were trying to talk like it was a big deal and anyone saying what it was was just sour grapes and I was like no.. this was 20 minutes from my hometown. I know what and who was going on

why would he lie? hes on facebook saying he had no prior wrstling experience... dude had good wrestling skills though...

why would he lie? hes on facebook saying he had no prior wrstling experience... dude had good wrestling skills though...
I literally just said what the situation was, I even know multiple asterisks that could go below the stated accomplishments of the people he wrestled, like I said this is 20 minutes from where i grew up, I worked with kids who wrestled in the lower age division in practice earlier today.

The title is clickbait, and an annoying chunk (not all) is bragging about it like it's a bigger deal than it is.. then when informed of the facts backtrack and twist it.

Honestly given all the Hoopla I would have like to see him wrestle the former DI All-American in the weight below who still trains and coaches full time

Well just looking at the video you can tell he has previous experience. He knows what to do on the ground, he knows how to pummel and has pretty good balance, he has a pretty good shot too, it's nice and quick. Maybe he hadn't competed in wrestling, but he has definitely went to classes for at least a few years.

Well just looking at the video you can tell he has previous experience. He knows what to do on the ground, he knows how to pummel and has pretty good balance, he has a pretty good shot too, it's nice and quick. Maybe he hadn't competed in wrestling, but he has definitely went to classes for at least a few years.

or may be he just had a good instructor in his bjj class...

I see no reason why would he lie, of course hell know what to do on the ground, and pummeling and good balance isnt an only wrestlers attribute.

I do however agree that his shoots are quite nice for someone with none wrestling background.

ive trained with robbie. the title is clickbait and this whole thing is a resume builder publicity stunt as far as i can tell. nothing wrong with it, i actually think its pretty cool. but yea he trains full time and is a high level bjj competitior with amazing natural athletic ability. i think what he means is he never formally wrestled as in highschool or college. but he is not a butt scooting jiu jitsu competitior. he has trained wrestling since he started jiu jitsu im pretty sure. at least takedowns. im a pretty decent wrestler and "formally" wrestled in hichscool and kept up with it for the years ive done bjj and also outweighed him by 50lbs and couldnt even come close to taking him down. if i didnt know any better i would assume he was a college wrestler in ability.

ive trained with robbie. the title is clickbait and this whole thing is a resume builder publicity stunt as far as i can tell. nothing wrong with it, i actually think its pretty cool. but yea he trains full time and is a high level bjj competitior with amazing natural athletic ability. i think what he means is he never formally wrestled as in highschool or college. but he is not a butt scooting jiu jitsu competitior. he has trained wrestling since he started jiu jitsu im pretty sure. at least takedowns. im a pretty decent wrestler and "formally" wrestled in hichscool and kept up with it for the years ive done bjj and also outweighed him by 50lbs and couldnt even come close to taking him down. if i didnt know any better i would assume he was a college wrestler in ability.

if hes training stand up in a bjj class hes training take downs, not wrestling. All he said is that he had no previous wrestling experience, as if he had wrestle in hs or college.

as a matter of fact, all grappling is somehow wrestling.

every jiiu jitsu school ive been to that had a wrestling program had a wrestling coach that covered all wrestling tecniques other than pins. i just dont know where the line is drawn as to what a "wrestler" is

Where did ya wrestle in High School? I'm from Harrison

i wrestled in florida. i have trained with robbie a few times. im not from where he lives and trains and am not a meber of his school

every jiiu jitsu school ive been to that had a wrestling program had a wrestling coach that covered all wrestling tecniques other than pins. i just dont know where the line is drawn as to what a "wrestler" is

that only happenes in the US, most bjj schools outside the US do not have a wrestling coach.

a grappler by defintion is a wrestler, the point here is that he had no previous formal wrestling experience

I see no reason why would he lie,

Plenty of reasons to lie.

To pump himself up ('look at how i beat [thing] without even doing [thing]! Aren't i awesome?').

To pump up the narrative/grappling politics he imagines by misrepresenting/misattributing his skills to the particular style (bjj) he identifies with exclusively ('Look at how [other thing] beat [thing] without even doing [thing]! Isn't [other thing] awesome?').

And so on.

Last edited:
Back