Bjj black belt in a wrestling tournament

This tournament was near where I'm from, it was an open tournament, none of the people he beat had trained full time in years and were just doing it for fun. The bjj black belt in question is a pro athlete training full time with DI club coaches in the Spatola wrestling club. And like you said the refing was iffy.

I don't have a problem with the dude, props to him for showing up. But it was in no way the accomplishment people are trying to make it

Sur the statements are over the top, still interesting to see some bjj tricks he used.

i thought it would be something like this, I can see the BJJ guy had obviously trained wrestling, he seems to be pretty comfortable in it.

Fun tournaments are always fun to go to, but if this guy was to go to a tournament with people training full time and actively wrestling, the results would be much different. But props to the guy, but saying 'BJJ black belt in wrestling' is a little silly, it is possible to win, but you can definitely tell that he has a wrestling background.

Why would he lie then, you dont need wrestling background to do a sprawl and a single. His game is really bjj oriented

20170414_101348.jpg

Quite clear y'all! He has no prior experience in wrestling whatsoever!

Attachments

• 20170414_101348.jpg
    20170414_101348.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 3
This, he definitely has 'no' wrestling experience ahah, he has a great wrestling coach

A great coach... + he has competed wrestling tournaments previously... But yet 'no' wrestling experience???.. Here he is in a 2016 Wrestling comp using his mystical BJJ technique:

he did in fact get DQ'd for it

I think he got DQed for intent to injure after the match not for the specific technique.

Bu the rules have changed, I had a buddy in HS who was deadly with keylock throw but I'm pretty sure they outlawed it after we graduated.

And the Kimura looked legal to me, or at least I think it would have been legal in the early 2000s.

The Kimura position itself is legal, when you crank it then it becomes illegal. Schultz was disqualified in a match against his Turkish opponent in the 1984 Olympics for excessive brutality, the Turk did not want to give up back points so he face planted, and Schultz kept cranking it and broke his arm.

In regards to the BJJ black belt I believe the move was legal, and I give him props, his wrestling ability is decent, but he obviously trained wrestling. It's not like he was 100% JiuJitsu who on a whim competed in a Wrestling tournament and beat every body. Another Jiu Jitsu guy who had decent wrestling skills was Mark Bocek, but he trained on a regular basis at Guelph and Brock University wrestling clubs, which had former Olympians training there.

To be fair, it is not unlike Wrestlers who do very well in No Gi grappling tournaments, most of them did not go in blind into those tournaments, they trained with Jiu Jitsu guys who gave them exposure to different submissions.

In regards to the BJJ black belt I believe the move was legal, and I give him props, his wrestling ability is decent, but he obviously trained wrestling. It's not like he was 100% JiuJitsu who on a whim competed in a Wrestling tournament and beat every body. Another Jiu Jitsu guy who had decent wrestling skills was Mark Bocek, but he trained on a regular basis at Guelph and Brock University wrestling clubs, which had former Olympians training there.

To be fair, it is not unlike Wrestlers who do very well in No Gi grappling tournaments, most of them did not go in blind into those tournaments, they trained with Jiu Jitsu guys who gave them exposure to different submissions.

Bocek had very good Tds, I loved watching him fight

Agree

This tournament was near where I'm from, it was an open tournament, none of the people he beat had trained full time in years and were just doing it for fun. The bjj black belt in question is a pro athlete training full time with DI club coaches in the Spatola wrestling club. And like you said the refing was iffy.

I don't have a problem with the dude, props to him for showing up. But it was in no way the accomplishment people are trying to make it

I say this all the time. If you have a very good grappler, almost regardless of style, enter a competition with a bunch of low level amateurs he'll probably win even if most of his expertise was developed in a different style. What you need to win grappling matches is in many ways constant across disciplines, the style specific and rule specific skill sets only becomes important when the gap in raw grappling skill between competitors narrows. To me it's not that impressive when a really good BJJ black belt goes and wins some local Judo tournament, or a former D1 wrestler goes and wins the blue belt division of some regional BJJ tournament with 3 months of training. I would expect them to, simply because their athleticism and grappling instincts are so far above their competition. Certainly a professional athlete who was a black belt in BJJ and had trained a fair amount of wrestling I'd expect to have little trouble with some local amateurs who weren't seriously competitive anymore, if they ever had been.

I say this all the time. If you have a very good grappler, almost regardless of style, enter a competition with a bunch of low level amateurs he'll probably win even if most of his expertise was developed in a different style. What you need to win grappling matches is in many ways constant across disciplines, the style specific and rule specific skill sets only becomes important when the gap in raw grappling skill between competitors narrows. To me it's not that impressive when a really good BJJ black belt goes and wins some local Judo tournament, or a former D1 wrestler goes and wins the blue belt division of some regional BJJ tournament with 3 months of training. I would expect them to, simply because their athleticism and grappling instincts are so far above their competition. Certainly a professional athlete who was a black belt in BJJ and had trained a fair amount of wrestling I'd expect to have little trouble with some local amateurs who weren't seriously competitive anymore, if they ever had been.
Don't say facts Uchi, saying so makes you a hater according to reddit.

So does this mean I can go to the local NAGA tournament and beat up some white and blue belts in the intermediate division and then brag about it (or have friends brag about it) on reddit like I won Pan Ams, then when called out and explained calmly to that all I did was beat a few hobbyists.. backtrack and say well I'm not saying that I/he would win mundials but isn't it super super cool to see wrestling used in bjj. And you're just a hater #thingshipstersonreddittaughtme

I wasn't actually annoyed about this whole thing (excluding an argument I got into with someone about something else on Reddit) until now. Props to the dude, but saying that this whole thing is being blown out of proportion and that it wasn't "elite" people he beat isn't hating

Don't say facts Uchi, saying so makes you a hater according to reddit.

So does this mean I can go to the local NAGA tournament and beat up some white and blue belts in the intermediate division and then brag about it (or have friends brag about it) on reddit like I won Pan Ams, then when called out and explained calmly to that all I did was beat a few hobbyists.. backtrack and say well I'm not saying that I/he would win mundials but isn't it super super cool to see wrestling used in bjj. And you're just a hater #thingshipstersonreddittaughtme

I wasn't actually annoyed about this whole thing (excluding an argument I got into with someone about something else on Reddit) until now. Props to the dude, but saying that this whole thing is being blown out of proportion and that it wasn't "elite" people he beat isn't hating

Are people saying that? That he beat elite guys? I'm pretty sure that most elite wrestlers are not competing at the Spatola Wrestling Classic. Not to mention that the guy he beat in the photos has exactly the same body type I do, which is to say 'I like both McDonalds and training dad bod'.

I can't imagine an elite wrestling tournament would let you compete without shoes either. Seriously, buy some shoes. Who has a black belt in BJJ and no wrestling shoes? Have you never broken a toe? Plus they're great for deadlifting.

Anyone who takes hype from BJJ Eastern Europe seriously is spending too much time smoking with Eddie Bravo anyway. I really hate the over hyping of achievements in grappling. Blue belt Master II competitors saying they're world champs on their website. I don't even talk about my competitive successes much because it requires so much context for me to not feel like I'm misrepresenting how good I actually am. Good for this guy, glad his wrestling training and being a good grappler are both paying off. That should be enough.

Are people saying that? That he beat elite guys? I'm pretty sure that most elite wrestlers are not competing at the Spatola Wrestling Classic. Not to mention that the guy he beat in the photos has exactly the same body type I do, which is to say 'I like both McDonalds and training dad bod'.

I can't imagine an elite wrestling tournament would let you compete without shoes either. Seriously, buy some shoes. Who has a black belt in BJJ and no wrestling shoes? Have you never broken a toe? Plus they're great for deadlifting.

Anyone who takes hype from BJJ Eastern Europe seriously is spending too much time smoking with Eddie Bravo anyway. I really hate the over hyping of achievements in grappling. Blue belt Master II competitors saying they're world champs on their website. I don't even talk about my competitive successes much because it requires so much context for me to not feel like I'm misrepresenting how good I actually am. Good for this guy, glad his wrestling training and being a good grappler are both paying off. That should be enough.
That's the attitude people are having especially because the article didn't say what kind of tournament it was and talked about the accomplishments of the people he wrestled from over 5 years ago. And any statement of facts or what it was is "hating"

Back