big difference i noticed between boxing and mma fans.

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
In mma, the majority will say the newer guys beat the older guys.

In boxing the older guys are usually seen to beat the newer guys.

Joe louis, who boxed in the 1930s, would be seen by most as a favorite over evander holyfield...or even modern heavyweights. They fought almost 60 years apart.

There doesnt seem to be an over obsession with progression in boxing as there is in ufc.

I question the mma fans perspective. At the one hand yes ufc 1 guys have no chance. But historically since modern mma started the new breed does not always win.

I think it is just an interesting contrast

Obviously the difference is in the relative longevity of boxing over MMA.

would joe louis be favoured over Lennox ? he is my number one best ever . surely not right

Joe louis, who boxed in the 1930s, would be seen by most as a favorite over evander holyfield...or even modern heavyweights. They fought almost 60 years apart.

There doesnt seem to be an over obsession with progression in boxing as there is in ufc.

I question the mma fans perspective. At the one hand yes ufc 1 guys have no chance. But historically since modern mma started the new breed does not always win.

"How to box" has been something that has been around for a while. "How to MMA" keeps changing because people have to learn a bunch of different disciplines.

download (1).jpeg

zi49lgs-png.242327
zi49lgs-png.242327

zi49lgs-png.242327
zi49lgs-png.242327

zi49lgs-png.242327
zi49lgs-png.242327

zi49lgs-png.242327
zi49lgs-png.242327

zi49lgs-png.242327
zi49lgs-png.242327

Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's the idea that some guys were way ahead of their time and could compete with the best of the current age.

Mma of 1990s vs mma of 2000s vs mma of 2010s are almost different sports (hyperbolic yes, but contrast that to boxing which has been around forever in contrast)

"How to box" has been something that has been around for a while. "How to MMA" keeps changing because people have to learn a bunch of different disciplines.

View attachment 242359

It keeps changing yet the newer guys dont always beat the older guys.

Werdum isnt really a new breed HW

Lawler wasnt either, or was bisping, etc.

i hate to be a bother, but wiki has mr louis listed as a HW. you are just dodging the question, like the liberal media of lies !

It keeps changing yet the newer guys dont always beat the older guys.

Werdum isnt really a new breed HW

Lawler wasnt either, or was bisping, etc.
Those guys are still fighting

You're picking boxers of other generations being favored over current boxers and then picking mma guys who have a longer history but are still fighting and training and evolving, it's not really apples to apples

Boxing just has less tools to be developed over time.

But the newer guys still murk the older ones. Physically athletes are so much more impressive now then they were even 10 years ago, older people just like to look back and think their older heroes would still make it. It's the 'up hill both ways' mentality.

Mma of 1990s vs mma of 2000s vs mma of 2010s are almost different sports (hyperbolic yes, but contrast that to boxing which has been around forever in contrast)

1970s boxing is different than 1990s boxing

15 rounds compared to 12

Or 1930s boxing

- fighting every few weeks compared to twice a year

Or 1900 boxing. Which had over 15 rounds.

Back to the bareknuckle days, where types of judoesque throws were allowed.

Boxing has changed too.

It takes a lot more athleticism to survive in MMA.

Boxing can just clinch over and over again and be separated staying on their feet. Plus they have giant gloves to defend with.

If you try clinching in MMA you will get taken down or have to use a lot of gas to stay up. It's a young man's game unless you are extremely prepared with cardio, heart, etc.

or PED's.

Last edited:
Those guys are still fighting

You're picking boxers of other generations being favored over current boxers and then picking mma guys who have a longer history but are still fighting and training and evolving, it's not really apples to apples

George foreman won the title in the 70s and won it again in 1990. Thats 20 years which is longer than modern ufc has been around.

So youre saying that boxing stayed stagnant in those 20 years yet mma is better evolved than 10 years ago?

1970s boxing is different than 1990s boxing

15 rounds compared to 12

Or 1930s boxing

- fighting every few weeks compared to twice a year

Or 1900 boxing. Which had over 15 rounds.

Back to the bareknuckle days, where types of judoesque throws were allowed.

Boxing has changed too.
Look what you just did, I went every ten years in mma and you went every 30-40 years in boxing...mma as we know it isn't even 30 years old

George foreman won the title in the 70s and won it again in 1990. Thats 20 years which is longer than modern ufc has been around.

So youre saying that boxing stayed stagnant in those 20 years yet mma is better evolved than 10 years ago?
Yes

It takes a lot more athleticism to survive in MMA.

Boxing can just clinch over and over again and be separated staying on their feet. Plus they have giant gloves to defend with.

If you try clinching in MMA you will get taken down or have to use a lot of gas to stay up. It's a young man's game unless you are extremely prepared with cardio and heart.

or PED's.

In boxing the clinch is broken up right away. In mma it takes over the whole fight and they call it "control"

Look what you just did, I went every ten years in mma and you went every 30-40 years in boxing...mma as we know it isn't even 30 years old

So did boxing evolve between foremans 2 title runs or not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back