big difference i noticed between boxing and mma fans.

In boxing the clinch is broken up right away. In mma it takes over the whole fight and they call it "control"

It is control and they are using way more energy to try and get control and stay up or take each other down.

I'm not taking a dig at boxing i'm just stating a fact that you have to use way more energy in MMA and that favors the young man.

I grew up extremely passionate and obsessive about boxing and respect it a great deal.

Last edited:
I dont think your statement is true.

Semi-related point. Floyd beating Canelo Alvarez was impressive.

In mma, the majority will say the newer guys beat the older guys.

In boxing the older guys are usually seen to beat the newer guys.

Joe louis, who boxed in the 1930s, would be seen by most as a favorite over evander holyfield...or even modern heavyweights. They fought almost 60 years apart.

There doesnt seem to be an over obsession with progression in boxing as there is in ufc.

I question the mma fans perspective. At the one hand yes ufc 1 guys have no chance. But historically since modern mma started the new breed does not always win.

I think it is just an interesting contrast

Wrong

You forgot the "some mma fans" and "some boxing fans". Don't throw everyone into the same pile.

Some boxing fans are as delusional as you can get, is one thing saying that Sugar Ray Robinson had one of the best career ever (putting everything in context), but saying he was better than the top guys of today is madness.
You don't get more skilled than Floyd Mayweather Jr, Lomachenko and Rigondeaux, the pure craft and athleticism these days is off the charts.

As far as mma, i remember a Jon Fitch interview, maybe you could still find it on Flowrestling, where he said that when he started mma people were literally trying to figure out what to do, how to train for this mma thing, meanwhile today kids that go the gym are just spoiled.

Some boxing fans are as delusional as you can get, is one thing saying that Sugar Ray Robinson had one of the best career ever (putting everything in context), but saying he was better than the top guys of today is madness.
You don't get more skilled than Floyd Mayweather Jr, Lomachenko and Rigondeaux, the pure craft and athleticism these days is off the charts.

As far as mma, i remember a Jon Fitch interview, maybe you could still find it on Flowrestling, where he said that when he started mma people were literally trying to figure out what to do, how to train for this mma thing, meanwhile today kids that go the gym are just spoiled.

Sugar ray went 90 fights undefeated in an era of 15 rounds. Fighters today could never have 90 fights...yet he couldn't compete?
You clearly dont know boxing

Sugar ray went 90 fights undefeated in an era of 15 rounds. Fighters today could never have 90 fights...yet he couldn't compete?
You clearly dont know boxing
Now i understand this thread, it isn't a thing between every boxing fans and mma fans, it's a thing you believe in and want to push on us.

Sorry to ruin your party, but every sport get better with time, records get broken with time, even long lasting ones like Pietro Mennea 200m record made in the 70ies got beat after almost 20 years.
But still there is a freaking big difference between 1979 and the 1930, there is no record made in 1930 still standing, impossible, Sugar Ray would be a can today, regional level fighter.
If Sugar Ray would have been born in 1990, with modern upbringing, that's a whole other story.

This whole evolution thing is a myth and @IngaVovchanchyn nailed it. Boxing has been around for centuries so it's not really evolving anymore. I bet for the first 20 years of boxing it evolved like crazy. And boxers from 50 plus years ago may very well beat current ones. Old boxers fought over 100 even 200 times. Now they fight 50 times and have big training camps and build ups. There is no real evidence to say that is better for your skills than actively fighting a lot more.

Lomachenko brought a new perspective & dynamism to boxing, in an established & traditional sport. Conor did that with MMA, bringing a freshness to a sport that values toughness & grinding fights. It is the special athletes that will change the landscape & transcend their respective sports.

One is a fan of boxing and the other is a fan of MMA?

Most boxing fans would pick Louis over Jack Johnson. Almost everyone would pick Ali or Klitschko or Tyson over Jack. That timeline of progression is similar as picking a today's mma fighter over a 90's mma fighter. But in the mid-00's you had well-rounded fighters so it gets closer.

In mma, the majority will say the newer guys beat the older guys.

In boxing the older guys are usually seen to beat the newer guys.

Joe louis, who boxed in the 1930s, would be seen by most as a favorite over evander holyfield...or even modern heavyweights. They fought almost 60 years apart.

There doesnt seem to be an over obsession with progression in boxing as there is in ufc.

I question the mma fans perspective. At the one hand yes ufc 1 guys have no chance. But historically since modern mma started the new breed does not always win.

I think it is just an interesting contrast
Well, MMA is a baby sport compared to boxing.

It has evolved ridiculously fast so It's only natural for the new breed to dominate.

Boxing has been around for a long time and plateaued a lot In that sense

Big difference I noticed between boxing and MMA fans: Boxing fans aren't nearly as dumb as MMA fans. They're still dumb, but MMA fans are much worse.

Mma of 1990s vs mma of 2000s vs mma of 2010s are almost different sports (hyperbolic yes, but contrast that to boxing which has been around forever in contrast)

This pretty much sums it up. MMA is evolving because there are so many more elements too it--and the rules have changed over that period too.

Just googled "Louis vs Holyfield" opened a boxrec link, posters seem fairly divided.

Maybe its because the older guys are Pride guys that are now like 50 yrs old. Lol

Back