Better resume: Aldo or Edgar?

In terms of resume it's damn close imo. I think a lot of fans have a hard time looking at Frankie's career as a whole given that he split it in two separate divisions and was great in both. I'd give Aldo the edge because of his two fights with Frankie.

This.

I actually like the collection of names on Edgar's resume more than the ones on Aldo's, but Aldo's two wins over Edgar gives him the edge.

lol it's not even close. Aldo all day.

I think it's closer than you think. They have similar amount of top ten wins, but Edgar's are spread out between two weight decisions.

Obviously if we're comparing title runs, Aldo is head and shoulders above Frankie; but if we're just looking at the quality of opposition on their resumes, then it's pretty close.

Aldo beating Frankie is what sets him apart.

Stupid question

Not only had Aldo beaten Edgar twice, he has been a longer and more dominant champion than him.

Easily Aldo and it's not even close.

Title defenses matter. Sorry man. This isn't boxing.

They do, but any way you look at it a win over mendes or Swanson or Sherk is better than a win over hominick. I'm not hating on hominic--he was a legit challenger--but beating him, even if a belt is on the line, doesn't mean more than beating mendes.

Obviously, that's my opinion.

Just looking at "best wins" is deceptive, ignores that Frankie had a lot more loses inbetween.

Just looking at "best wins" is deceptive, ignores that Frankie had a lot more loses inbetween.

5 to Aldo's 4, and Aldo's losses were far worse than Edgar's.

Both men have only lost to three different guys.

Edgar (16-5-1 UFC) best wins:

BJ.Penn - 2 Wins while he was around the end of his hey-day, and 1 against someone not deserving the name "BJ Penn"
Mendes - Win against top 5 opponent
Faber - Win against top 5 BW opponent, unranked at FW (Was already on the tail end of career)
Swanson - Win against top 5 opponent (higher ranked than when Aldo beat him)
Stephens - Win against top 10 opponent: 12-11 Overall UFC and 5-3 FW record at time of fight
Yair Rodriguez - Too green, not top 10
Oliveira - Not top 10
Maynard - Win against top 5 opponent
Tyson Griffin - Not top 10
Sean Sherk - Big win at the time (top 10)
Jim Miller - Outside the UFC and before either was ranked anywhere near top 10

Aldo (16-3 WEC/UFC) best wins:

Edgar x 2 - Defending FW title against top 5 opponent
Mendes x 2 - Defending FW title against top 5 opponent
Lamas - Defending FW title against top 5 opponent
Florian - Defending FW title against top 5 opponent
Faber - Defending FW title against top 5 opponent
Swanson - Probably top 10 or 15 (title eliminator fight)
Mike Brown - Won belt from then Champ MTB
Chan Sung Jung - Defending against top 5 opponent
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

From the list you gave, every single opponent except one from Aldo's was ranked within top 5 at the time of their fights.

For Edgar? Maybe half the wins were against top 5 or 10 ranked opponents.

Ranking-wise, Aldo CLEARLY has a way better resume.

Their losses? Both have only lost to UFC Champs, except for 1 loss each. Given how dominant Aldo has been in his title matches as compared to Edgar, I think Aldo easily takes this. Aldo: 11-3 Edgar: 3-4-1

*Rankings based on what I could find googling Sherdog's rankings for the time of the fights

Last edited:
Aldo.

Title defenses.
Sound victories of Edgar.
Long reign as champion.
Division GOAT.

5 to Aldo's 4, and Aldo's losses were far worse than Edgar's.

Both men have only lost to three different guys.

One of Aldo's loses very early in his career, the others late on after a period of domaince, Edgar has never had such a period. Edgar as a draw with Maynard on his record as well.

Frankie.

He was severly outsized at LW and against Aldo looked like a midget.

I think that Aldo has the better resume. But I put a lot of priority towards guys who made it to the top and were able to stay at the top while taking on tough challenges. Edgar is definitely a great fighter though.

Why it is much more hard? A fight is a fight.
Yeah,putting it in simple its a fight anyway.

But as a champion.You have the burden to defend against anyone at the top,you can’t choose opponents.

You have a target on your back,everyone will study your style,since you are the one to beat.

A good example of how hard is to defend instead as it is to challenge is Edgar himself.

Last edited:
Aldo because of all the title defenses. Also more finishes and a dominant reign over a division for a prolonged period.

And of course beating Frankie

Think we're done here.

Edgar even with his losses they could have been wins. Aldo fought in a relatively weak division when he was champion. In which he bitched out of a lot of fights.

It's tough to say Frankie has a better resume when Frankie IS part of Aldo's resume. In all seriousness, Frankie was/is the man but Aldo was FW kingpin for a very long time and at his peak was a better fighter than Frankie. Jose probably could have been the first simultaneous two weight world champ if he would have been allowed the shot.

Back