Better resume: Aldo or Edgar?

Is it more difficult than fighting for the belt multiple times in multiple divisions, though?
yes i think it is.
Is harder to stay at the top then it is to challenge for it.

How any times Frankie was capable to challenge for a tittle?

How many times he was capable to defend one?

Last edited:
How? Edgar beat prime Penn twice at LW.

I wouldn't say that 2nd fight was "prime" Penn at all.

Honestly he lost the 1st one but no point in debating that, still you couldn't call that shambolic tip toes performance anything like "prime"

The second Benson loss was close but then again many felt he didn't beat BJ the first time and loss to Maynard the second. Aldo doesn't have decisions like that in his prime.

I think Edgar should have won the first fight against Aldo, as many others. It was really close. Edgar could just as easily be 1-1 against Aldo as 0-2.

I wouldn't say that 2nd fight was "prime" Penn at all.

Honestly he lost the 1st one but no point in debating that, still you couldn't call that shambolic tip toes performance anything like "prime"

Tippy toes Penn was the third fight.

I have to go Aldo but Edgar beat Penn twice when nobody else could

Make this thread again if Frankie beats Max

aldo for me
but edgar is an all time great

9p
How? Edgar beat prime Penn twice at LW.
Prime Penn is a myth. He had some freakish performances but revealed his true skillset by losing so much in his prime. Oh shit bj Penn die hards are gonna come out of the wood work

Aldo because of all the title defenses. Also more finishes and a dominant reign over a division for a prolonged period.

And of course beating Frankie
Edgar fan here, I agree tho. Title defenses are a different game, you are no longer playing to win, you are playing to not lose. It's a different mindset that takes much more confidence. A new challenger always has the upperhand because they have nothing to lose and everything to gain, losing to the champ is not the worst, especially if your less experienced. However losing as champ creates a new type of doubt that is hard to overcome "It was so hard to get it, can I really get it back?"

As it stands Jose is still the better man on paper, but at the end of their careers I figure Edgar will come out on top. He can make 135 and be champ and defend until he retires.

Only thing I know is that both are absolute OGs with hearts of lions and deserve mad respect. WAR both of them, two great champions that have helped legitimizing this sport throughout the years. I love the mutual respect between the two of them too

it comes down to two highly subjective points:

1) what counts more: accomplishments across multiple weight classes, or longevity as champ in one?
2) how much do you weight Aldo's 2 wins against Edgar?

how one answers these two subjective questions heavily weighs one's final answer.

I think Edgar should have won the first fight against Aldo, as many others. It was really close. Edgar could just as easily be 1-1 against Aldo as 0-2.
there should be a place for 'virtual draws' in these conversations. Edgar v Aldo I was one. Edgar v BJ I was certainly another.

but Edgar decisively winning the last 7 of 10 rounds against BJ is unquestioned.

yes i think it is.
Is harder to stay at the top then it is to challenge for it.

How any times Frankie was capable to challenge for a tittle?

How many times he was capable to defend one?

He has three defenses in a division notoriously more difficult than Aldo's division, and he's about to challenge for the FW belt for the third time. I can't think of another UFC fighter who's done that in the UFC, and it's not for lack of people trying. His ability to compete at the highest level across two weight divisions for a decade is being undervalued here in my opinion.

By the way, I've already said Aldo's resume is better than Frankie's, but I think it's closer than people think, especially when you look at how they won and how they loss.

Last edited:
He has three defenses in a division notoriously more difficult than Aldo's division, and he's about to challenge for the FW belt for the third time. I can't think of another UFC fighter who's done that in the UFC, and it's not for lack of people trying. His ability to compete at the highest level actor two weight divisions for a decade is being undervalued here in my opinion.

By the way, I've already said Aldo's resume is better than Frankie's, but I think it's closer than people think, especially when you look at how they won and how they loss.
he is the runner up to what i call 'The Dan Henderson Award"; not the best eva in any division, but top 3 in multiple.

he is the runner up to what i call 'The Dan Henderson Award"; not the best eva in any division, but top 3 in multiple.

Indeed, but if you look at "goat LW" threads, Frankie is usually always in people's top three, so he's at least in contention for being the best ever at 155, and his record at 145lbs is already amazing.

I've also said that Frankie's record will resemble hendo's in terms of strength of competition across multiple divisions, especially if Frankie gets a win at 135 before retirement.

Back