Beterbiev, ward, Kovalev and the IBF

BusterKeaton

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Beterbiev is going to be facing IBF #5. Enrico Kolling for the IBF number 1. all other fights fell through. Assuming Beterbiev wins he will get a shot at the IBF title. unlike other bodies IBF is very strict on their number ones getting title shots or being forced to Vacate. assuming Beterbiev wins which is a safe bet. he'd get a shot at ward. Now that fight isn't worth a lot of money so I wouldnt even consider it a duck move for ward to not fight him.

Assuming ward vacates then Beterbiev gets a chance at the vacant belt. it's happened lots before example David Lemieux got a title shot for the IBF belt this way. the next highest ranking is Kovalev.

Chances are decent that Beterbiev faces at least one of these guys within the year. if not then he goes down the list fighting for the vacant title vs someone he'll easily beat.

I would like to see Beterbiev get a shot at a top guy but unfortunately he's kind of the definition of high risk low reward.

I would like to see Beterbiev get a shot at a top guy but unfortunately he's kind of the definition of high risk low reward.

I agree he may be a front runner that can't fight past 5 or 6 well. but he'd be hard for ward for the first rounds and he could land a ko shot with his inside power. Wards advantage is the outside but that's not really his biggest strength. it will never happen and I wont blame ward. Beterbiev needs a big name win

Did anyone watch Beterbiev's Olympic fight with Usyk? He lost,...but man, Usyk was getting rocked repeatedly. And Usyks way bigger than Kovalev. Factor in question marks around Kovalev's heart, and the fact that Beterbiev beat him twice in the amateurs, its looks like its shaping to be a late stoppage for Beterbiev.

Did anyone watch Beterbiev's Olympic fight with Usyk? He lost,...but man, Usyk was getting rocked repeatedly. And Usyks way bigger than Kovalev. Factor in question marks around Kovalev's heart, and the fact that Beterbiev beat him twice in the amateurs, its looks like its shaping to be a late stoppage for Beterbiev.

Tough to know how Beterbiev will hold up late in fights if he faces some adversity, as well (he drains a lot just to get down to LHW). I've never seen the Beterbiev/Kovalev fights (not sure if there is footage out there or not), but most of what I've read about it suggests they were very close. Beterbiev does need to get some big fights, though. He clearly has a ton of talent and he's not getting any younger. It would be a shame to see him waste all of his prime years.

Beterbiev is an absolute beast. I think he will lose to Ward based of off Ward's disgusting style of clinching, headbutting and low blows but Beterbiev would be a nightmare on the inside for Ward, no one else posses the difficulties on the inside that he'd face against Beterbiev.

Beterbiev is going to be facing IBF #5. Enrico Kolling for the IBF number 1. all other fights fell through. Assuming Beterbiev wins he will get a shot at the IBF title. unlike other bodies IBF is very strict on their number ones getting title shots or being forced to Vacate. assuming Beterbiev wins which is a safe bet. he'd get a shot at ward. Now that fight isn't worth a lot of money so I wouldnt even consider it a duck move for ward to not fight him.

Assuming ward vacates then Beterbiev gets a chance at the vacant belt. it's happened lots before example David Lemieux got a title shot for the IBF belt this way. the next highest ranking is Kovalev.

Chances are decent that Beterbiev faces at least one of these guys within the year. if not then he goes down the list fighting for the vacant title vs someone he'll easily beat.

Ward isn't really much of a draw himself though, is he? I'd really like to see how Light Heavyweight plays out you got guys like Ward, Stevenson and Kovalev sitting atop the hill but Beterbiev, Gvozdyk, Joe Smith Jr, Dmitry Bivol all could really make things interesting. I'd like to see all these guys mix it up in the title picture in the coming year or two.

Yeah LHW is looking pretty good right now with some prospects coming up. I'm excited for Joe Smith vs Barrera next month as well as Beterbiev's fight.

I wonder when Gvozdyk will fight next and how long until he gets a big fight.

Yeah LHW is looking pretty good right now with some prospects coming up. I'm excited for Joe Smith vs Barrera next month as well as Beterbiev's fight.

I wonder when Gvozdyk will fight next and how long until he gets a big fight.

Gvozdyk is supposed to fight Joe Smith jr if he gets past Barrera last I heard. Where do you think Eleider Alvarez fits into this?

Gvozdyk is supposed to fight Joe Smith jr if he gets past Barrera last I heard. Where do you think Eleider Alvarez fits into this?
He deserves his shot at Stevenson. It's been long enough. Let that play out and the winner will hopefully fight Ward if possible or one of these other guys working their way up.

He deserves his shot at Stevenson. It's been long enough. Let that play out and the winner will hopefully fight Ward if possible or one of these other guys working their way up.

Eleider seems like a cut below Gvozdyk, Beterbiev and Bivol. I just hope the fights actually happen, a lot of interesting matchups at LHW yet Stevenson is a master at ducking dangerous opponents and Ward doesn't seem interested in trying to defend his belt and clean out the division.

Ward isn't really much of a draw himself though, is he? I'd really like to see how Light Heavyweight plays out you got guys like Ward, Stevenson and Kovalev sitting atop the hill but Beterbiev, Gvozdyk, Joe Smith Jr, Dmitry Bivol all could really make things interesting. I'd like to see all these guys mix it up in the title picture in the coming year or two.
ward fights should be regular HBO. sad that kovalev vs ward 1 did so poorly. but kovalev doesnt have a paying fan base, alt accounts dont equal ppv buys. Stevenson they always release his ratings on USA tv but he is watched by a LOT of people. it's not as much as a prime bute or pascal but it's still a lot of extra numbers. I watch ward vs kovalev II in a movie theatre in canada and almost everyone was cheering for ward

Back