Best Takedown For Self Defense?

There is no true BJJ. It's a folk tradition.

In the same way the writers of modern literature define what the English language is, the teachers of BJJ define what BJJ is, because BJJ is what they are teaching.

If a BJJ instructor with some reputation teaches a kick, then that kick is a part of BJJ.
Actually that's what oldschool Karateka often say about Karate.

Ah, thank you my friend! Get ready for the ‘barrage’ of insults coming your way from BJJ supporters. As mentioned before, the Gracies represented the top 1% in BJJ while the other Arts had no representative that even came close to the top 25% during UFC 01 through 04. A tipping of the scale.

…by the way, you need to teach me how you crop videos the way you do. I’m a very low-tech guy. I have to post the whole video from YouTube.

Just google it "how to crop Youtube video's"

Remember what I said a while ago?

U gotta b like this with these sub wit's when they talk about anything outside their narrow area of experience...

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Or you'll b like this in not time...

lard1.gif

LOL!

Honestly? The best takedown for self defense is the one that you can hit most often and are most comfortable with.....that said, If you could train one specifically for "Da streets" i'd go with some sort of trip. If trained, they're rock solid percentage, don't require much commitment and leave you standing after the takedown, so you can assess the situation and react accordingly without having to get back up. Can't remember the judo jargon for it (maybe osoto gari?) but It's one with the outer reap while i push up under their chin controlling their head posture to lean back. I LOVE this throw. Used it religiously when I bounced.

Honestly? The best takedown for self defense is the one that you can hit most often and are most comfortable with.....that said, If you could train one specifically for "Da streets" i'd go with some sort of trip. If trained, they're rock solid percentage, don't require much commitment and leave you standing after the takedown, so you can assess the situation and react accordingly without having to get back up. Can't remember the judo jargon for it (maybe osoto gari?) but It's one with the outer reap while i push up under their chin controlling their head posture to lean back. I LOVE this throw. Used it religiously when I bounced.

Quality

…so, I have to answer my own question. Osoto Gari. What art? Judo.
…but please don’t stand in front of your opponent with your legs open, you’ll get a nice knee to the groin. A video would have been nice, so here is one:

Last edited:
…but please don’t stand in front of your opponent with your legs open, you’ll get a nice knee to the groin. A video would have been nice, so here is one:

I hate the way that guy stands up tall during the off-balancing portion. I know he thinks he is doing something by tugging on his opponent's clothing, but people wouldn't get counter reaped if they didn't try to stick their head through the ceiling like mario.

The upward tug on the clothing is such a lame trick, borderline stupid.

The Einarr is strong with this one.

Punch in the face, when the fall = takedown

I hate the way that guy stands up tall during the off-balancing portion. I know he thinks he is doing something by tugging on his opponent's clothing, but people wouldn't get counter reaped if they didn't try to stick their head through the ceiling like mario.

The upward tug on the clothing is such a lame trick, borderline stupid.

Christ. Your posts are consistently terrible. Do you actually train judo? That is a fine osoto. Head down osoto, pulling down, is the ancient calling card of the newb. If anything he isn't standing tall enough and leans too much into the throw rather than bringing his hips in and pulling harder.

Good instructional on osoto. As he says (6:15-22) you aren't pulling down, you are pulling up and off balance. Pulling down is crappling. Up and off balance is judo:

Last edited:
Christ. Your posts are consistently terrible. Do you actually train judo? That is a fine osoto. Head down osoto, pulling down, is the ancient calling card of the newb. If anything he isn't standing tall enough and leans too much into the throw rather than bringing his hips in and pulling harder.

Good instructional on osoto. As he says (6:15-22) you aren't pulling down, you are pulling up and off balance. Pulling down is crappling. Up and off balance is judo:

lol at your crying.

I'll watch your video later. I think the up tugging is stupid. It is a major part of why Judoka have such a hard time with freestyle fighting (which they all think they are learning, no matter how much Olympic Sport talk they do).

Last edited:
...and here is the 'monkey' Jeff Glover doing the 'Climbing Armbar'. A great takedown!

Overhook with a leg reap to snap down/head and arm control or similar? That's one I like that let's me remain standing and control the transition to the ground on my terms

Great explanation for the kuzushi / unbalancing / pulling up and off balance I heard in Aikido: imagine turning a huge steering wheel. One arm pulls up, the other down, both turning the opponent to the side, putting his balance on one leg.

You know, the thin skinned one can make his point about about Gracie being a 1% and what not..

But if these other "traditional" martial arts were "really" that effective.. they should have actually shown it by now. And before you whine like a sweet sixteen girl about the "fouls and rules".. if your art is really that dependent on being able to eye gouge or get a nut shot in.. it's pathetic.

If you are a troll. Bravo sir

You know, the thin skinned one can make his point about about Gracie being a 1% and what not...and before you whine like a sweet sixteen girl about the "fouls and rules".. if your art is really that dependent on being able to eye gouge or get a nut shot in.. it's pathetic. If you are a troll. Bravo sir.

Jez Jack, I thought after 1 month we had both smoked the ‘peace pipe’ together. Ignorance and hate knows no age boundaries. You keep forgetting that ‘my art’ includes Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. Yeah Jack I’m a troll, whatever makes you happy…

12345.jpg

Jez Jack, I thought after 1 month we had both smoked the ‘peace pipe’ together. Ignorance and hate knows no age boundaries. You keep forgetting that ‘my art’ includes Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. Yeah Jack I’m a troll, whatever makes you happy…

View attachment 234677

Where is your evidence.. it's 2017 not 1993. If the arts you are talking about/trying to defend were legit there'd be.. you know actual evidence

Untiltake your JV martial arts back to the bench

Back