Best Takedown For Self Defense?

hendzhang

White Belt
Reaction score
Someone asked my wrestling coach in class this and this was his answer

[YT]X2GU0CEc3Tg[/YT]

I'd like to hear your opinions. If you have a different one, post it in this thread (preferably with video source)!

If I could I'd post one of those street fight videos of a guy power double leg and slamming some dude on concrete. But that'd get me da dubz.

If I could I'd post one of those street fight videos of a guy power double leg and slamming some dude on concrete. But that'd get me da dubz.

Just put in quotes what to search! Also thanks for the video!

I'd think osoto gari would be pretty good.

Blast double for sure. Or if you managed to slip a punch and you're in the clinch, a foot sweep.

Osoto gari. Blast double is a close second, but if you mess it up, you could end up in lava/HIV needle land.

I read the title and thought to myself "Just fucking tackle the guy hard"

Then I see the video and he calls it a Blast Double and I'm like 'yeah, that's a better name for it'

Then he says 'also called the tackle' lol

Just basically go 100% in a street fight, lose a little clean technique in exchange for power, but if you have any skill or tenchinque behind what you do it should be far and above any street brawler's. You just don't have to worry about him being smart enough to counter the mid-level stuff

I read the title and thought to myself "Just fucking tackle the guy hard"

Then I see the video and he calls it a Blast Double and I'm like 'yeah, that's a better name for it'

Then he says 'also called the tackle' lol

Just basically go 100% in a street fight, lose a little clean technique in exchange for power, but if you have any skill or tenchinque behind what you do it should be far and above any street brawler's. You just don't have to worry about him being smart enough to counter the mid-level stuff

You do know the blast double/power double is a legit wrestling move right?

Osoto Gari, followed by an Ouchie Mata (Uchi Mata thrown with the leg to the groin). Seoi Nage is a good one too

I disagree with Morote Gari being a a particularly good throw for a street fight. It's not too hard to get you in a headlock off of it - at best you just have to escape it; at worst you just DDT'd yourself into the concrete.

Osoto
Reverse headlock (by itself or into any kind of forward throw or a snap-down)
Te guruma (safer than blast double, IMO)
Snatch single (when desperate to get someone down)

Ashi-barai without body contact, if clinching; Uki-goshi or Sasae, dropping the guy followed up with a few soccer kicks! If somebody cling to you when throwing land on top and break some of their ribs or whatever else…

I like body lock or blast double, despite my signature.

Surprised nobody answered body lock. I frickin' love the body lock against untrained opponents especially. Working between the body lock and high double is my favorite.

Judo throws are tough enough for me to execute in the gi, if I can break somebody's balance and grip them enough to hit a judo throw I'd generally rather just punch them in the face anyways.

Usually no needs to break much balance in a street fight against unskilled grappler attacking you

Surprised nobody answered body lock. I frickin' love the body lock against untrained opponents especially. Working between the body lock and high double is my favorite.

Judo throws are tough enough for me to execute in the gi, if I can break somebody's balance and grip them enough to hit a judo throw I'd generally rather just punch them in the face anyways.

I was checking out the thread when I first went up and wanted to answer body lock (thought it was an obvious answer) but when no one else mentioned it I though I must be wrong.

Gets blast doubled. Proceeds to pull rusty steak knife out of waist band for fresh sashimi.

Guess it depends on the scenario. In the video both persons squared off.

I like the idea of a modified osoto if he resists stuff it into a head spin.

Last edited:
[YT]I25HN3DE8hs[/YT]
hard to the head then you can soccer kick to face and you are standing the whole time

I was checking out the thread when I first went up and wanted to answer body lock (thought it was an obvious answer) but when no one else mentioned it I though I must be wrong.

Back