Best film adaptation of a novel..........

Jaws
Jurassic Park
Total Recall
Minority Report
The Godfather
No Country for Old Men
Stand By Me
Misery
The Shining
A Scanner Darkly

great book wicked film

Miami_blues_poster.jpg

giphy.gif

Funny how Stephen Kings short stories turn out to be great movies .Stand By Me (The Body), Shawshank, 1408, The Mist, Apt Pupil. Where some of the novels bombed.

Jurassic Park
A Clockwork Orange
Die Hard
The Godfather
Clockwork orange was completely different than the book. The movie literally changed what Burgess was trying to say in the novel.

Funny how Stephen Kings short stories turn out to be great movies .Stand By Me (The Body), Shawshank, 1408, The Mist, Apt Pupil. Where some of the novels bombed.

Not to be argumentative but SBM, Mist, AP, and Shawshank were all novellas, now Children of the Corn was a short story made into one of the best King movies ever! He Who Walks Behind the Rows agrees. You don't want to end up like Malachi, do you???

Clockwork orange was completely different than the book. The movie literally changed what Burgess was trying to say in the novel.

No it didn't. The movie did not have the last chapter, but I don't think Alex just growing up completely changed what he was trying to say in the novel.

Not to be argumentative but SBM, Mist, AP, and Shawshank were all novellas, now Children of the Corn was a short story made into one of the best King movies ever! He Who Walks Behind the Rows agrees. You don't want to end up like Malachi, do you???
Yeah, novellas are really long short stories. And Children of The Corn was great. "He wants you too, Malachi!"

Damnation Alley is a good adaptation. It is post nuclear apocalypse movie starring the dude from Airwolf. It is book first.

Also the Screwfly Solution. They made a netflix movie about it.

The Road.

i dont know about best, but 'girl with all the gifts' was a film that i watched first, then read the book after. i thought the film did a great job. i have the expectation that the books are always going to be better, but in this case they were pretty darn similar in content and quality.

The Running Man

The book was pretty disappointing. Film definitely had a much better spin on the concept

I preferred these films to their books

Cross_of_Iron_UK_quad_poster.jpg

8248239028ae3b075c278cd6d6068a48.jpg

movieposter.jpg

No it didn't. The movie did not have the last chapter, but I don't think Alex just growing up completely changed what he was trying to say in the novel.

I think we can confidently say Anthony Burgess was not a fan of Kubrick’s film. The reason being: Kubrick, and the original American publisher who published A Clockwork Orange, missed the entire point of the novel: redemption.

As I’ve mentioned before, Burgess’ original American publisher didn’t include the final chapter of the book, despite Burgess’ protests. Burgess admits that he needed the money and eventually caved to the publisher’s wishes. All other original editions of the book included the final chapter, but Kubrick based his film on the American version.

So what Kubrick released to the public was a depressing story of violence with a bitter, cynical ending. Essentially, the film said humans can’t change. I don’t want to spoil the ending, and I’ll expand on this in my upcoming review, but in Burgess’ version, Alex’s story ends on a positive note.

To not include that key chapter—only 11 pages—is kind of like telling the story of Jesus without including the resurrection. That’s no minor piece of information, right? Kubrick said he wasn’t aware of the final chapter until he was late into screenplay development, but he thought the final chapter was unconvincing and unrealistic.

I preferred these films to their books

movieposter.jpg
You liked Lolita better than Lolita? See, I liked Lolita better.

I like how much darker and more well developed Humbert was in Lolita. He was so much more depraved because of his looks and charm. I felt like the James Mason portrayal felt like basically a neckbeard.

Back