Best film adaptation of a novel..........

That's kinda how Crichton was. When it works it's fantastic. Jurrasic Park, Sphere and Congo are fantastic reads, imo. Stragne that it took The Beard Himself to actually get a good movie out of any of them.

It's sort of ironic, too, that Sphere is practically a dead accurate adaptation, yet somehow doesn't work. Whereas Spielberg goes way off the narrative with JP and knocks it out of the park.

What's interesting is that Crichton himself wrote the first draft of the script for Jurassic Park (though it was reworked later by a couple of other writers).

I was very impressed with 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.' (2011)

The english patient

Mystic River

Shutter Island

The Stand

Moby Dick

Treasure Island

Oh I have never seen the Stand but really liked the book when I read it ages ago.

Might have to check it out.

b5-fightclub.jpg

Came here to post this.

Oh I have never seen the Stand but really liked the book when I read it ages ago.

Might have to check it out.

The Stand miniseries doesn't hold up well, imo. A shame since it's so faithful, but the network TV budget and ratings constraints really shows nowadays.

Edge of Tomorrow/Live.Die.Repeat is better than All You Need is Kill. One of the rare cases where a film jettisons major parts of the book and is better off for it.

2001 being the best film ever made makes it a great adaptation of the book...

Didn't Clarke write the novel simultaneously while he and Kubrick worked on the film?

That's kinda how Crichton was. When it works it's fantastic. Jurrasic Park, Sphere and Congo are incredible reads, imo. Strange that it took The Beard Himself to actually get a good movie out of any of them.

It's sort of ironic, too, that Sphere is practically a dead accurate adaptation, yet somehow doesn't work. Whereas Spielberg goes way off the narrative with JP and knocks it out of the park.

I enjoyed the Rising Sun movie a lot. Especially when it first came out, it was pretty raw back then.

Couple years ago i got around to reading the book, and it's damn near identical to the movie. Except wesley snipes' character is white in the book. Anyway, the book was very good. There were a lot more details in the book about japanese business practices and true stories of them buying out all the technology companies. I found it fascinating, and i usually couldn't care less about business.

Didn't Clarke write the novel simultaneously while he and Kubrick worked on the film?

I enjoyed the Rising Sun movie a lot. Especially when it first came out, it was pretty raw back then.

Couple years ago i got around to reading the book, and it's damn near identical to the movie. Except wesley snipes' character is white in the book. Anyway, the book was very good. There were a lot more details in the book about japanese business practices and true stories of them buying out all the technology companies. I found it fascinating, and i usually couldn't care less about business.

I always meant to read that one but never did. Never saw the movie either.

Funny you should ask. I've had people ask me if the book was written after the film. Either way I'm not sure. Clarke can write and the book is really good, kubricks film is a masterpiece of cinema. I'll have to get to the bottom of this...

Funny you should ask. I've had people ask me if the book was written after the film. Either way I'm not sure. Clarke can write and the book is really good, kubricks film is a masterpiece of cinema. I'll have to get to the bottom of this...

I read about half the book and enjoyed it. Wasn't the best thing I've ever read, but it wasn't bad. Completely different focus than the movie. Like 2 different perspectives of the same events. I like the ambiguity of the monolith in the movie. But also liked finding out what it was in the book.

I always meant to read that one but never did. Never saw the movie either.

They're both good. But Crichton is 1 of my favorite authors. His book Travels effected me in a profound way. It's nonfiction and an account of his life and adventures, and it's awesome.

But the movie Rising Sun is really good, too. Some early 90s cheese, but not much. And it's one of sean connery's coolest characters ever.

'fight club' is one of the few times the film is considered better than the book.

personally, i would go with 'silence of the lambs.' spot on adaptation and the casting of anthony hopkins was genius.

a newer adaptation that i thought was pretty perfect was 'the martian.'

Cloud atlas

Fight club

There will be blood

No country for old men

Lord of the rings

Game of thrones(if that counts)

Generally the movie never does the book justice. Dracula is my favorite novel but imo they have yet to make a decent Dracula movie. Was just wondering if there has ever been a movie that surpasses the book. Shawshank Redemption? Never read it. Game of Thrones? Never read the books either but love the show. I know its not a movie but you know what im saying. Anyway what do you guys think?
Coppola's Dracula was good and pretty faithful.

2001 being the best film ever made makes it a great adaptation of the book...
it's not an adaptation of the novel. they were written concurrently.

Back