Best film adaptation of a novel..........

Hated it. I own it on dvd but i hated it
u crazy

Winona_Ryder_braless.gif~c200

Gary Oldmans worst and cheesiest performance. I love Keanu Reeves but as John Harker? WTF? Nope. Id love to see a dark Dracula movie redone in the vein of say......The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Blade runner/do androids dream of electric sheep. The book was interesting but the movie was pretty cool.
I remember watching the world according to Garp years ago and loved it. I then read the book last year and it has been one of the best books I've read. Both were fantastic.
Same with LOTR, both mediums were brilliant.

The Stand

Moby Dick
tumblr_opksu2NnFP1s9a9yjo1_500.gif

Didn't Clarke write the novel simultaneously while he and Kubrick worked on the film?
Funny you should ask. I've had people ask me if the book was written after the film. Either way I'm not sure. Clarke can write and the book is really good, kubricks film is a masterpiece of cinema. I'll have to get to the bottom of this...
Kubrick and Clarke decided to work on a film together, and Clarke said he didn't want to adapt the writings of any other author. So Kubrick purchased the rights to a variety of Clarke short stories, some of which contain elements that were used for the film. For example, one story called The Sentinel was about astronauts finding something buried on the moon, while another story was about advanced humanoids visiting a primitive humanoid species and influencing them. Kubrick and Clarke wrote the screenplay together while Clarke wrote the novel, although Clarke later said that Kubrick could have been credited as a co-writer of the book as well as the film. I believe the original idea was to release the book first, or possibly on the same day as the film, but I guess Clarke took longer than planned so the book was released after the film, probably creating the general perception that it's a novelization of the film.

Generally the movie never does the book justice. Dracula is my favorite novel but imo they have yet to make a decent Dracula movie. Was just wondering if there has ever been a movie that surpasses the book. Shawshank Redemption? Never read it. Game of Thrones? Never read the books either but love the show. I know its not a movie but you know what im saying. Anyway what do you guys think?

1) American Psycho
2) Fight Club
3) The Shining

Jaws the movie is much better than the book. All the characters in the movie are just more in depth, more fleshed out and over all better in the movie.

There is also no nonsense affair between Mrs Brody and Hooper in the movie.

That's kinda how Crichton was. When it works it's fantastic. Jurrasic Park, Sphere and Congo are incredible reads, imo. Strange that it took The Beard Himself to actually get a good movie out of any of them.

It's sort of ironic, too, that Sphere is practically a dead accurate adaptation, yet somehow doesn't work. Whereas Spielberg goes way off the narrative with JP and knocks it out of the park.

Yeah weird how much Sphere sucked.

Someone needs to make a movie about his movie "Prey".

Fight Club and The Shining were good movies made out of mediocre source material. No Country for Old Men was a fully faithful adaptation that showed that the movie was the better medium for the story.

Game of Thones benefited big time from finishing the outline with the television characters rather than adapting more of the overdone late entries in the book series.

Jaws the movie is much better than the book. All the characters in the movie are just more in depth, more fleshed out and over all better in the movie.

There is also no nonsense affair between Mrs Brody and Hooper in the movie.

That's the chaff I was talking about.

Oh I have never seen the Stand but really liked the book when I read it ages ago.

Might have to check it out.

I am told is quite good for a TV miniseries, and that Jaime Sheridan is a very good Randall Flagg.

Back