Best boxing movie?

This. There is no question, this is the best.

I agree with this, Raging Bull is a close second. The subsequent Rocky movies are good to watch in their own right but they really miss the underdog theme of the original, except for maybe the last one.

I don't know if I'd call this the best, but I can't remember enjoying a boxing movie as much as I enjoyed this one here. Me seeing it on television at two in the morning might've had something to do with it since you never got quality programming at that time back then. Still a good movie, though;

Body and Soul is a good one, dated but is worth watching. It came out in the 40's and ended up influencing a lot of boxing and sports films in general.

I searched and couldn't find anything, so forgive me if this has been done before. But what do you think is the best boxing movie, or which one is your favorite?

Personally, my favorite is still The Great White Hype. It's hilarious and pretty accurate.

And did anyone ever watch the movie Undefeated with John Leguizamo? If was an HBO movie about 10 years ago or so. I thought it was pretty good.

This made me look this movie up, it's absurdly funny, haha.

The part at the weigh ins was the best.

I did like the fighter. But really only because it was about Mickey Ward. And why the fuck did they end the movie before his fights with Gatti? That's like doing a movie about Michaelangelo and leaving out the part where he paints the Sistine Chapel.

i think they probably didnt think there was any way they could do that justice

This made me look this movie up, it's absurdly funny, haha.

The part at the weigh ins was the best.

It's for sure a great classic , I died laughing with the kid in the wheelchair dropping the flag

great white hype was amazing

It's for sure a great classic , I died laughing with the kid in the wheelchair dropping the flag

Just finished watching that part, haha.

"...you might be Irish, but they're almost white"

Lmao.

I hated Raging Bull

I don't care what anyone says, the orignal Rocky movie was one of the best boxing films.

Do documentaries count? I liked "Facing Ali".

I dont know if anyone here can watch movies this old but The Set-Up (1949) is really good. Its about a past his prime boxer whose manager takes a bribe for him to take a dive in a match, but doesn't even tell him about it. It takes place in real time before, during and after the fight.

Saw Southpaw the other day, thought it was really good.

Rocky, duh. I'll take any of them (except V) any day.

I hated Raging Bull

I don't care what anyone says, the orignal Rocky movie was one of the best boxing films.

As stated, I agree about Rocky 1.

I also did not like raging bull. It dragged on and on, slow as shit pace. Good acting overall, just poorly executed directing and writing.

I used to love watching price of glory when I was a kid. All star cast

Cinderella man is quality. Rockys aren't bad either but not as good.

Rocky 1 is 1000% better than Rocky 4.

Rocky 1 is a beautifully filmed character study, with really authentic shots of Philadelphia, a classic romance between basically a thug and a shy girl, lots of surprisingly sharp humor, and miles of heart. Not to mention it's iconic score. Go back and watch the scene when Mickey goes to Rocky's house for the first time to offer to be his manager, it's an amazing scene.

Rocky 4 is a really fun anti-Soviet propaganda movie. It's great for what it is, but it's not much more than that.

Rocky 1 and Raging Bull are obviously the best. We're talking Oscar-winning classics that are an everlasting part of American culture.

Rocky would have been brought up on rape charges if the first movie was made today. Basically debo'd Adrian out the pussy

Rocky would have been brought up on rape charges if the first movie was made today. Basically debo'd Adrian out the pussy

lol Yeah, that scene would probably have a few rewrites to be more comfortable for modern audiences.

I mean, in the Breakfast Club, doesn't John Bender stick his face between Claire's legs under the table? That's sexual assault, not a lighthearted gag. Later they hook up, because she's cool with that kinda thing lol

The Boxer starring Daniel Day-Lewis . . . Boxing scenes coordinated by Barry McGuigan.

Cinderella Man directed by Ron Howard and starring Russell Crowe.

Rocky 1 is 1000% better than Rocky 4.

Rocky 1 is a beautifully filmed character study, with really authentic shots of Philadelphia, a classic romance between basically a thug and a shy girl, lots of surprisingly sharp humor, and miles of heart. Not to mention it's iconic score. Go back and watch the scene when Mickey goes to Rocky's house for the first time to offer to be his manager, it's an amazing scene.

Rocky 4 is a really fun anti-Soviet propaganda movie. It's great for what it is, but it's not much more than that.

Rocky 1 and Raging Bull are obviously the best. We're talking Oscar-winning classics that are an everlasting part of American culture.

Agreed. Some great scenes in that movie. The whole ending with "There ain't gonna be no rematch. There ain't gonna be no rematch!"..."Don't want one" and the screaming for Adrian. It's cliche now, but that's because it's great!

Raging Bull is good, but you kinda feel like shit after watching it. It's slow paced and dark.

I liked The Boxer. Daniel Day-Lewis got in some shape for that. Although, it's really more about "The Troubles".

I thought Southpaw sucked. And I really wanted to like it.

Back