Best BJJ kimono

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Korals are awesome. They hold up to wear and tear well and they're really well made.

My Ouano started falling apart on me after about a year of use.

Atama's are pretty good too. I just don't like that seam that they have running down the middle of the back. It's annoying when you're playing guard.

Personally, I like Machado Kimonos best. They're light and comfortable. It's hard to describe but I love the feel of it.
learn to wrestle and play top game ;)

honestly, it's never bothered me before. I noticed it when i got the gi, but never wearing it. You shouldn't be flat on your back playing guard anyway.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Korals are awesome. They hold up to wear and tear well and they're really well made.

My Ouano started falling apart on me after about a year of use.

Atama's are pretty good too. I just don't like that seam that they have running down the middle of the back. It's annoying when you're playing guard.

Personally, I like Machado Kimonos best. They're light and comfortable. It's hard to describe but I love the feel of it.

Yeah their new company is Lutador americano.. they make a really awesome gi now.. Except the gold writing on the tail.

I own like 5 kimonos..Keiko racca, Dragao, Lutador american, Atama gold, HSO

Korals do last but the collars kind of suck in my opinion and for 150$.. might as well get the best thats out there.

Best idea is to go to a club and just check peoples out and decide your self.
For overall quality get the gameness or Lutador.

For look/mass appeal
get a Koral or Vitamins and minerals.

What about the decent Judo gi's like Mizuno? Kodokan Gear http://www.kodokangear.com is a good, reliable source for gi's. They only list Adidas for BJJ gear (nor sure if they are any good), but surely judo gi's are comparable?

Vinh from Kodokan Gear posts at www.judoforum.com & had has heaps of good feedback from forum members who've bought from him.

Just buy whatever you can afford. The cheaper the better if you're just starting out.
As you improve and decide to stick with BJJ long term, you'll want to upgrade.
At that point, the extra money for a higher quality gi will not be much of an issue for you.

Blake Bowman said:
learn to wrestle and play top game ;)

honestly, it's never bothered me before. I noticed it when i got the gi, but never wearing it. You shouldn't be flat on your back playing guard anyway.

Any guard you play you are going to get shit on your back.

judogido said:
What about the decent Judo gi's like Mizuno? Kodokan Gear http://www.kodokangear.com is a good, reliable source for gi's. They only list Adidas for BJJ gear (nor sure if they are any good), but surely judo gi's are comparable?

Vinh from Kodokan Gear posts at www.judoforum.com & had has heaps of good feedback from forum members who've bought from him.

Yeah im a big Fan of Mizuno's when it comes to judo gi.
But they dont feel so great while doing bjj.. they weigh to much.

I actualy tried to have a mizuno altered for bjj but they lady totaly destroyed the jacket...She sliced the sleeve all the way down through the side to the hip.. then just bunched the material and sewed it back together.

It ruined the jacket, and it quickly ripped after that.

They WEIGH too much? Well, in all honestly I've worn double-weave judogis for the last 10 years, so I no longer notice. Only sometimes when I'm lugging home a sweat-soaked gi do I think "Damn, this sucker is HEAVY".

Are the top BJJ gis looser & lighter than the top judogis then? Are they single weaves?

Oh - and I'd be PISSED if some lady wrecked my Mizuno. They are like USD170 for a Eurocomp.

judogido said:
Are the top BJJ gis looser & lighter than the top judogis then? Are they single weaves?
BJJ gi's are not a looser fit, usually they are a closer fit. They are lighter than double weave Judo though, cause, well, I know very few BJJ guys that wear the double weave. Most wear a gold weave or single. I have a really heavy double weave, and it doesn't bother me at all, but it really annoys my training partners cause it is really hard to hold on to.

Oh I think Mizuno is making a BJJ gi... It's the Rickson Gracie signiture gi, or something.

Being cheap, I stick with Atama, which I just don't think the cut is that great, and Kagi, which is well, different. Kagi is good quality for the price, but they change their line so often every time I go look at their site I can't order the same gi as before.

The most popular gi at my school is the Koral by far. I think someone is sponcered by them, so it's no wonder. Definitely a quality gi, though, just out of my price range.

I used to have an ATAMA gold weave - It was pretty nice, alittle heavy but very strong. Right now I use a Koral and its very comfortable. I love wearing it. No seam in the back, the collar is nice and the pants dont suck. If you want a gi that lasts, fits well and doesnt shrink, go with the Koral. You won't regret it. Jiu Jitsu ProGear ahs reviews of a bunch of diffenrent gi's if you want to check some out.

Bama Zulu said:
Any guard you play you are going to get shit on your back.
so, you're telling me it's proper form to be "flat on your back" when playing guard?

HCK makes a great gi and the price can't be beat.

Mizuno does make a BJJ, it's the Rickson model and comes in three trim levels starting at $90 and going up to $200 depending on size and material.

Kikskin makes a nice gi that you can get with and without patches.

Gameness makes a great Platinum weave (their gold weave) and they just started selling a single weave.

Ground Force mades the worlds only hemo JJ gi.

Koral makes a really nice gi but the collar is thinner then the HCK and Gameness so it's easeier to get choked but it's light and cut well.

Sirius makes a good gi at a good price.

Mkimono used to make a great gi.

Atama is a old standard that everybody has own at one time or another.

www.SSFgear.com

It's all opinion, but one thing we can agree on is that cheap judo gi's smell like shit after one training session.

SSF, has anyone reviewed the ground force gi yet?

colinm-not yet, GF is giving me a gi to give away to be reviewed. I'm giving it to one my fighters or one of my reg customers who's opion I trust to test the gi out.

www.SSFgear.com

i had a eurocomp, it's great, but i'm not sure i want to use in in BJJ.....too much for them to grap and choke me with.

I'm in the process of reviewing a Koral Kimono, A Warrior-One Kimnono, and a WAR kimono. Coming soon.

M Kimonos are the greatest. I've tried Atama, Koral, Vulkan, Dragao (the worst Gi ever IMO), Keico Raca.

M kimonos are hard to get now

Back