BEST BASS RIFF

My post @ObsoleteSoul was more douchey than necessary. Apologies.

I still think the 4 finger thing is sort of silly but if it works for you, whatever. I take music pretty seriously. Shouldn't get so heated about it.

Sure sounded like you meant people who don't use a pick use only use 2 fingers. Anyway, more bass.

Sure, based on the Iron Maiden example. Steve Harris's technique is not unorthodox.

I hope you can turn up the bass on your computer because I can barely hear it on mine

My post @ObsoleteSoul was more douchey than necessary. Apologies.

I still think the 4 finger thing is sort of silly but if it works for you, whatever. I take music pretty seriously. Shouldn't get so heated about it.
It's ok. It's the nature of the beast when talking music, man.

I understand you think it's silly, and I suppose that's ok too. It works for me, and many others. It might not for you.

I know Iron Maiden has already been posted. This is my favorite.

That's all I was saying. Many bassists use more than 2 fingers. I thought it was well known.
I was commenting specifically on the one vid you posted and the technique seems like wasted motion to me. I can't think of any mainstream players who play like that is all and I don't much see the point of it.
The 3 finger thing is still just something that's used for a particular effect too.
I even said in one post that I was sure there were examples of people doing it, just not that its something you see players use. One or two guys doing it out of hundreds of thousands of players makes it more of a novelty.

I know your game. Everyone with a different style than your preferred one is inferior. Seen you do it before. I doubt you are superior in any way musically.

You didn't know even about this, yet reply with a silly comment. If you were so great, you would be playing for a living, but you don't. So continue acting foolish.

Guarantee? Lol
Don't mind the guy, he likes to shit on everything that he doesn't like or agree with and act like he knows better/his opinion is more important.

Don't mind the guy, he likes to shit on everything that he doesn't like or agree with and act like he knows better/his opinion is more important.
That's what it seems like, but I know how talking about music goes. Musicians always act like this lol. I got out of it though. I am an explorer, and always like to try new styles, and theories. It is just funny because my style got me a job playing on cruise ships for awhile, so it's not like I haven't had experience playing for a living.

Just want to say that I believe he is just passionate about music, and has a certain way of thinking about it. Nothing really wrong with that IMO

Last edited:
That's what it seems like, but I know how talking about music goes. Musicians always act like this lol. I got out of it though. I am an explorer, and always like to try new styles, and theories. It is just funny because my style got me a job playing on cruise ships for awhile, so it's not like I haven't had experience playing for a living.
Thing about technique that I always try and remind myself is, "if it feels right and it works for you/sounds right, it ain't wrong"

I've been playing guitar for almost 14 years and I've seen so many different kinds of fingering and picking styles that make me tilt my head, but at the end of the day, it only matters how the playing sounds, what it looks like means nothing or how you do it really doesn't mean a whole lot, as long as it sounds good.

Not to say there isn't bad technique, but just because someone plays a bit differently than the next guy doesn't mean either is right or wrong, that's just how they developed.

Look at Friedman or Van Halen, strangest picking technique in the world, two of the very best players there ever were.

I was commenting specifically on the one vid you posted and the technique seems like wasted motion to me. I can't think of any mainstream players who play like that is all and I don't much see the point of it.
The 3 finger thing is still just something that's used for a particular effect too.
I even said in one post that I was sure there were examples of people doing it, just not that its something you see players use. One or two guys doing it out of hundreds of thousands of players makes it more of a novelty.
I hate interjecting on these types
of discussions, but whatever...
my two cents...

The point is that they're probably
more comfortable playing it that
way. Maybe their joints or finger
dexterity is slightly different than
yours due to conditioning or just
general slight anatomical variations
between humans.

Play what you like, how you like, imo.
No "wrong way" of creating art.
The wasted motion stuff is pointless,
if the player doesn't see it as a waste.
To me, if it sounds good... it sounds good
"Mainstream" or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back