Best Base for MMA?

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How do you rank them? Historically has been claimed wrestling.

imo
(catch)wrestling/grappling
kickboxing
boxing
TMAs
etc

more beautiful? Prime Anderson or Prime Jacare. Both are terrifying, Jacare hasn't had that stage but still. Both are lethal in their own way. It's hard to gauge what's most consistently the best base gameplan. It seems to swing over time.

HH has revived this debate with the glory of her kickboxing massacre.

wrestling has to be 1. even if your not offensive you need to know defense or else youd be on your back the whole fight, what is kickboxing gonna do from your back

Other than the common answers sambo is pretty good since it includes grappling and striking, you would still have to cross train but you would start off more well rounded than with a base in other arts.

But kiai master is still better.

Boxing IMO. Look at fighters like Lawler, JDS, Gus. They were able to learn enough TDD to keep top level wrestlers like Hendricks, Cain and Jones from taking them down and keeping them down.

Boxing IMO. Look at fighters like Lawler, JDS, Gus. They were able to learn enough TDD to keep top level wrestlers like Hendricks, Cain and Jones from taking them down and keeping them down.

I like JDS but I'm not sure he makes a good example considering Cain butchered him twice, even if he didn't 'hold him down' in the traditional sense.

I like JDS but I'm not sure he makes a good example considering Cain butchered him twice, even if he didn't 'hold him down' in the traditional sense.

JDS has some big holes in his boxing though. He has bad head movement and can't fight well backing up, I think his footwork isn't the greatest either. He hits really hard and has a great chin, but Cain came up with a good strategy to exploit his weaknesses.

Wrestling, look at the champions and TOP guys in each weight class.

Wrestling. If anyone says anything different, they don't know what they're talking about. Much easier to learn how to strike then it is to grapple. Plus learning JJ is much easier if you already have a wrestling base. Wrestling 100 P.

Freestyle wrestling
Kickboxing
BJJ
Boxing
TKD
MT

Lawler has a background in wrestling.

wrestling has to be 1. even if your not offensive you need to know defense or else youd be on your back the whole fight, what is kickboxing gonna do from your back

exactly. there's a reason these K1 guys cant adapt to MMA.

meanwhile Brock enters the game a decade removed from his amateur career along with a bunch of nagging injuries from pro-wrestling, and he becomes HW champion.

Grappling is the best base, whether you come from Wrestling or a form of Jiu-Jitsu. Wrestling is more effective IMO, because it's easier (although awkward at first) starting out in jiu jitsu with a wrestling base, anti-jits is an easy path to go like anti-wrestling.

For striking, I'd say Muay Thai or Boxing, Muay Thai has pure style, modern, and dutch. Boxing footwork can be adapted to your wrestling game relatively easy and MMA as well. Kick boxing is fun and all, but Muay Thai and Boxing training are what makes a kick boxer shine brighter than they ever could prior.

Sambo is very very effective and should never be doubted, same with Kudo.

I would consider Boxing and Kick boxing TMAs by now, both are arts as much as they are sports, and that's not solely my opinion.

In the UFC rule set (or basically all the modern MMA rules nowadays) it's wrestling. A wrestler can usually control where the fight takes place and can always lay n pray for 3 rounds.

There are a lot of martial arts to be included but I lumped them under TMAs. All arguable in their own right. Sambo, Judo, TKD, Karate, etc

Hell it could even be said that BJJ is a TMA depending on how you look at it.
Most the essential aspects of BJJ are included in catch wrestling and grappling. I have even heard the guard is not fundamentally unique to BJJ- predated, but BJJ fortified it- so much of it's essence is carried over regardless.

Lawler grew up a wrestler, JDS lost his title to a wrestler and got dominated twice by him and Gus lost to Jones and DC....

Wrestling from early childhood. It gives raw strength, cardio, strong neck, flexibility, durable body.

Best base for MMA is BJJ.

You learn how to close the distance, how to clinch and how to fight in the ground.

But, as everybody in the UFC today has a good notion in BJJ and striking, if you have a solid background in wrestling you have the best advantage, that is to dictate where the fight is going to take place or at least make your oponnent very tired working that clinch on the fence.

Best base for MMA is BJJ.

You learn how to close the distance, how to clinch and how to fight in the ground.

But, as everybody in the UFC today has a good notion in BJJ and striking, if you have a solid background in wrestling you have the best advantage, that is to dictate where the fight is going to take place or at least make your oponnent very tired working that clinch on the fence.

Wrong, its wrestling.

Back