Ben Askren not in the UFC is a travesty.

I think it is 100% correct to call Askren a "wrestling genius".

1.) He tells you what he is going to do, then does it, and the opponent still can't do anything about it.

2.) His " death by a thousand cuts" style shows that he is in total control and his opponent can do nothing but eat each punch. Counter? What counter...just eat punches, while your fans and family watch in horror as you can't even defend yourself.

3.) Karl Amassou was a big time brawler from the blood thirsty M1 Challenge, who violently assaulted his way to the top...Askren calmly took him down and busted him up , while Karl was in shock that he could not even get back to his feet.

4.) Until someone beats him, his style negates all other styles. Opponents don't even get the chance to demonstrate their style.

Nothing boring about total domination. If viewers have attention deficit disorder, they should make a sandwich and come back a few minutes later. He will FORCE everyone to improve their game and that is great for the sport. The UFC would have every college and high school wrestler tuning in to learn from the best. He could also play the villain.

Post of the thread. How this is not entertaining is beyond me.

It's funny that people take issue with Bellator for letting Askren go, but also take issue with Bellator for not letting Alvarez go.

They kept Alavarez because the UFC actually wanted to sign him, they let Askren go while there was still a good chance that the UFC would not sign him. It makes a big difference, they basically got rid of Askren while it would fuck up his career.

Thx. I have been following mma since the early 90's and have VHS and DVD of events like Absolute Fighting, Extreme Fighting (where everyone got arrested after the event), Extreme Challenge, Cage Rage, Cage Warriors, Brazil Vale Tudo, Japan Vale Tudo, World Vale Tudo, World Combat Championship, Ultimate Challenge, Cage Warriors, WEC, WEF, King of the Cage, Strikeforce, Hook n Shoot, Tuff n Nuff, Pride, M1, Pancrase, Shooto, Gladiator Challenge, USMMA, Super Brawl and a bunch I forgot about.

I bring this up to say that Ben Askren's wrestling skill is better than anyone I have seen in any of these events over the last 20 or so years. Only the undefeated mma fighter Philip Miller and Cormier have a similar wrestling domination with a smooth transition to mma.

I have seen many great wrestlers get slaughtered due to poor transition to mma. Remember Olympian Kevin Jackson getting submitted by Frank Shamrock in about 20 seconds, or Nick Nutter taken out in seconds by Vovchanchin?

People had begun to think that BJJ and striking is all you need in mma...Askren is showing that those two majors skills are not enough against an elite wrestler with BJJ and striking. Now, you got to have great wrestling also. This evolution IS exciting!

I was not a wrestling (in mma) fan until I saw the complete domination by Phillip Miller and Ben Askren. This style of fighting will close the mouth of any boxer that thinks they can easily beat someone in mma. Getting beat on the ground with no place for your head or organs to move out of the way. Much more devastation.

Totally agree, were seeing good bjj guys struggle to get fights to the ground or keep it there long enough to be effective.
Askren gets it there with relentless takedowns and keeps it there with strong top pressure and great technical positioning, he is also very active with gnp, if his opponent stays in a position he hits them and if they attempt to get out he out scrambles them or usually just rag dolls them back to the mat.
Dont see many top 10 welterweights dealing with his wrestling, hopefully he dominates in wsof and then gets a shot in ufc.

Totally agree, were seeing good bjj guys struggle to get fights to the ground or keep it there long enough to be effective.
Askren gets it there with relentless takedowns and keeps it there with strong top pressure and great technical positioning, he is also very active with gnp, if his opponent stays in a position he hits them and if they attempt to get out he out scrambles them or usually just rag dolls them back to the mat.
Dont see many top 10 welterweights dealing with his wrestling, hopefully he dominates in wsof and then gets a shot in ufc.

You mean One FC but I agree.

I never wrestled in HS or College but I have plenty of friends who did and they all think Askren is the best pure wrestler in MMA.

You mean One FC but I agree.

I never wrestled in HS or College but I have plenty of friends who did and they all think Askren is the best pure wrestler in MMA.

Yes i did, thx.

I didnt wrestle but have done bjj for 3 years and respect anyone who has wrestled or generally competed at the level he has, i agree with your friends that he is the best pure wrestler, i think cormier is up there aswell but has been getting the job done with his boxing so we dont get to see it that much

Well he had it coming, should've kept his mouth shut but he had to make bold statements and piss off Dana. He deserves to be that bitter about not being accepted in the UFC.

His last few fights have been finishes. I agree that he is not the most entertaining careless fighter but he is skilled and it is fun watching his technique

Yeah, he's awesome against nobodies.

Well he had it coming, should've kept his mouth shut but he had to make bold statements and piss off Dana. He deserves to be that bitter about not being accepted in the UFC.

Yea can kinda see that, Do think dana just doesnt want a one dimensional champion.
It does amaze me when you hear him moaning about guys not finishing fights tho, like gsp at the end, every guy he fought was top 1-3 in the ufc at that time so theyre not guna be the easiest guys to put away lol, but he did what askren does and pretty much dominated every round with the exception of a few fights, and was active when on top like askren.
Politics aside i think hes earned his chance to fight in the ufc where at one time they liked to say they had the best fighters in the world.

I'm not a big fan of his style, but he deserves to be in the UFC. The sad thing is, the current top 10 of the welterweight division is filled with guys who have very strong grappling plus striking/KO power, and would put up a much better fight against Askren than the guys he fought in Bellator. Askren going up against someone like Lombard, Woodley, Hendricks, or Lawler would force him to be more exciting. If the welterweight top 10 still had guys Dan Hardy in there, it would have been a different story.

It confirms the UFC is not about having the "best" fighters in the world

More about fighters who just stand in the pocket and throw "bombs" till someone gets KTFOd!!

Yes, that's why GSP was their biggest PPV draw. Because he stood in the pocket and threw bombs.

Oh wait, he didn't do that at all.

I'd pay to see GSP come out of retirement and fight Askren.

But other than that... not overly concerned about where or who the guy fights for. Wish him all the best, of course. Hope he makes piles of money. I just have no personal interest in seeing him fight.

Honestly though, I find it more offensive that his previous org let him go... while he was champ. That's ludicrous.

He definitely should be in the UFC. The UFC has like 75 WW's on their roster and Askren would be the comfortable betting favorite over at least 65 of them. The fact he isn't on the roster is just dumb.

The main reason he isn't in the UFC is money. He wanted more money then he was worth. He's an amazing wrestler but that doesn't put butts into seats.

Every Ben Askren fight would be avoided like the plague. Initially it would be good, like Jake Shields, then it would decline and decline and eventually the UFC would release him. It's in his best interests to never be in the UFC.

Dana would bash him and make his name even worse. Nope, Ben stay away from the UFC. Better for both parties.

The last thing we need in the UFC is another blanket.

Back