Ben Askren not in the UFC is a travesty.

In Rainbows

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was recently watching a Rogan podcast and he started talking about Ben Askren and made some amazing points about the guy. You can argue that he's "boring", but he is extremely effective and easily one of the best wrestlers in MMA. Ben Askren taking a guy down and holding him there is a real problem. If you can't stop his shot and keep him off of you, then that's your problem and you deserve to lose.

I personally don't find him boring at all. I'm really fascinated by guys who get to this insane level in their particular sport, be it wrestling, BJJ, or striking. He's physically not the biggest or strongest, but he makes up for it with pure skill and technique and just dominates guys. It may not be the most exciting style, but that doesn't take away the fact that he's a real problem for anyone who fights at 170.

It's just a real travesty that it didn't work out with the UFC. When I hear Dana go off about how boring Askren is, it just shows me how ignorant he can be about what this sport is really about. I think he realizes Askren is a real problem for guys, and it's not the most pleasant to watch, but who cares? The UFC is about being the best fighter, and if someone has the capability to take guys down at will and win, then he should be in the UFC. It's not Askren's fault - it's the guys who can't stop his takedowns. It just really irks me that he isn't in the UFC because he's perceived as "boring", despite him being arguably one of the best. I want to see him mix it up with these tops guys and see if they can stop Askren. I think we're really missing out with not seeing him fight in the UFC. I personally see him giving fits to everyone in the 170 division, and I would only favor Hendricks, GSP, and maybe a few others. Otherwise, Askren is a real problem for the division. I mean, come on, isn't this basic MMA shit? To see which style is most effective?

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: here is the youtube clip where Joe talks about Askren. http://youtu.be/nFgGXeHWa5E?t=1h19m29s

Last edited:
Totally agree.
He even offered to fight for free and they were too afraid that a fighter from Bellator would make their best look bad.

guy is a beast one of the best in the world at WW without a doubt

Askren being cut from Bellator while being their champ is the true travesty.

Dana is afraid of him.

He Knows he will wrestlefuck his WW cash cows.

That is just a fact.

Lets sign James Toney and keep Shaub, though.

lets sacrifice women to Rousey.

Pathetic.

The real travesty is people like you who welcome boredom into sports entertainment.

Things are finally looking up post-Fitch, post-GSP and now you want another "win is a win" wet blanket in the UFC

GOOD JOB BRO.

If Askren was in the UFC, everyone would be screaming how boring his fights are.

I agree. Yes, he's boring, but could probably be a champ.

They'll probably sign him after One FC, once they can promote him without also promoting bellator.

http://youtu.be/nFgGXeHWa5E?t=1h19m29s

Here is Joe Rogan talking about Askren, by the way. He makes some amazing points about why he should be in the UFC.

If people find it boring, oh well. It doesn't change the fact that he's one of the best in the world.

If Askren was in the UFC, everyone would be screaming how boring his fights are.

His last few fights have been finishes. I agree that he is not the most entertaining careless fighter but he is skilled and it is fun watching his technique

The real travesty is people like you who welcome boredom into sports entertainment.

Things are finally looking up post-Fitch, post-GSP and now you want another "win is a win" wet blanket in the UFC

GOOD JOB BRO.

"Sports entertainment."

GOOD JOB BRO.
If you don't like it, then stop him. Or ban wrestling. All this proves is how effective wrestling is. Don't hate on Askren, hate on wrestling.

If you can stop it, you can win. Simple. If we take Askren away or other wrestlers, we're simply cheapening the sport.

Also, I don't find it boring. I find his technique and prowess on the ground to be fascinating. The fact that there is a guy who can manhandle incredible athletes on the ground is amazing to me. I'm sorry.

"Sports entertainment."

Oh I'm sorry lemme just be cool and praise conservative snooze strategy as "part of the sport."

God forbid I watch fights with the intention of being entertained.

Just bleed.

"Sports entertainment."

Sucks but he's right. UFC is basically WWE bar the finishes.

When there was a close fight, I mean decision, and really think about it.....

How many times has the close decision gone to the more marketable or currently "Hot" fighter?

In Pro-Wrestling that's called a push.

I think Askren can do very well in UFC but let's hold off with the "beat everybody in the division" talk until he gets a fight with somebody anywhere near top 30 in his division because so far he's faced nothing of the sort.

funny enough, that coincided with me checking into other mma orgs / one fc and watching less / complaining more/ about ufc. At least one fc is trying to fool me into believing they'll hire the best

Askren's grappling is fun to watch, unlike Demain Maia, who no one ever complains about because of UFC hype.

I know he's an elite wrestler, and he's from my home state. I've seen 4-5 of his pro fights.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the UFC, but I think people are severely overrating how good he is. The difference in wrestling isn't big enough between a guy like him and Hendricks to make up for the fact that Hendricks is so much better and more dangerous in most other aspects of MMA. And I'm also not sure how Askren would fare once he took down some of the guys who have truly dangerous ground games (thinking Condit here). I even think Rory could keep it standing and light him up.

But I'm definitely on board with finding out for sure.

I think Askren can do very well in UFC but let's hold off with the "beat everybody in the division" talk until he gets a fight with somebody anywhere near top 30 in his division because so far he's faced nothing of the sort.
Which is exactly why we need to see him fight in the UFC. I want to see if guys like Hendricks and GSP can stop the grappling of Askren. That to me is exciting, and should be to others as well.

Also, Askren has made some decent guys look awful because of his dominant groundwork. He's beat some really game talent when you look at his wins. Guys like Lima and Koreshkov, despite not fighting in the UFC, would do well in the UFC right now.

Back